Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 10 > FHM10 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM10 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #1
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

GM/Manager vs GM

I really like how on OOTP you can set to be GM only but can still adjust the lineup if you want to. Is it realistic, not really but as a person who sims all games, sometimes I want to take a look at a player for a couple games or something. But 90% of the time I let the coach do his thing.

Unfortunately you can't do that in FHM. You are either 100% GM only or 100% GM/Manager. Since I prefer to sim and let the AI coaching do their thing would me playing as a GM/Manager penalize me in any way? Even if playing as commissioner, GM only can't adjust lines. Nor can we change the options for line and tactics from head coach.

So I guess my question is, as a 100% sim player only is GM only the better option.
drummerJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:42 AM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

It's not realistic though, as most GM's don't set lines for NHL teams. In fact, I wonder if any actually do.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:33 AM   #3
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
It's not realistic though, as most GM's don't set lines for NHL teams. In fact, I wonder if any actually do.
No they don't. Nor is being a GM/Coach in the NHL realistic. Nor do baseball GM's set lines for baseball, as I said. But this is a video game.

Last edited by drummerJ99; 11-17-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
AdequateRandomGaming
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
Shortly after Guy Boucher lost his job as the Sens coach, he said in an interview that as an NHL head coach, you control your lineup only about 30-40% of the time. There are always directions coming from the GM to use a guy on the PP to showcase him for a trade, demands from the GM to play a certain young player to see what the team has, etc.

While not controlling the lines per say, they do have a say with who gets dressed and used in certain situations...as long as you believe what Boucher said.
AdequateRandomGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdequateRandomGaming View Post
Shortly after Guy Boucher lost his job as the Sens coach, he said in an interview that as an NHL head coach, you control your lineup only about 30-40% of the time. There are always directions coming from the GM to use a guy on the PP to showcase him for a trade, demands from the GM to play a certain young player to see what the team has, etc.

While not controlling the lines per say, they do have a say with who gets dressed and used in certain situations...as long as you believe what Boucher said.
And that’s why I think and have suggested before that GM only mode needs an option where you can suggest, strongly suggest or demand a coach play a specific player or players in certain roles.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdequateRandomGaming View Post

Interesting, then yeah I guess the option to at least set the lineups for the AI coach to go by should be available to GM.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

We need an option like OOTP has where you can check a box for "GM only users are always in control of lineups".

You can still ask your coach to set them, but you have final say.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:24 AM   #8
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
We need an option like OOTP has where you can check a box for "GM only users are always in control of lineups".

You can still ask your coach to set them, but you have final say.
That's just the same as you being the GM/HC now and clicking 'AI create Lines' surely?
tomkmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 11:04 AM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkmb View Post
That's just the same as you being the GM/HC now and clicking 'AI create Lines' surely?
Not really, the key words being "GM Only" mode.

I don't want to coach games, but I want say in line-up decisions.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:20 AM   #10
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
No..being GM/HC fires your head coach. In OOTP you can be GM, have a manager on your staff and still edit lines. I don't want the head coach fired. Am I nitpicking, yes but it's always really bugged me. I want to keep the coach but also be able to edit lines like I can in OOTP. That, as far as I know isn't possible in FHM.

Quote:

Agree 100%.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:06 PM   #11
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Yeah that's just semantics at this stage - realistically you're able to achieve a situation where you can perform GM only tasks but also have control of the lineup. It's how I play the game, I'll be HC/GM assign things I do not want to take control of to the AI via the options (the majority of HC tasks) and then perform the ones I do want to take care of as GM (and a hybrid HC whereby I allow my GM to make line choices). Where there is an issue - is as DrummerJ99 has said, that you're not able to have a HC member of staff hired in that instance - though I feel the role of non human controlled staff remains mysterious in FHM anyway.
tomkmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:16 PM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah that's just semantics at this stage - realistically you're able to achieve a situation where you can perform GM only tasks but also have control of the lineup. It's how I play the game, I'll be HC/GM assign things I do not want to take control of to the AI via the options (the majority of HC tasks) and then perform the ones I do want to take care of as GM (and a hybrid HC whereby I allow my GM to make line choices). Where there is an issue - is as DrummerJ99 has said, that you're not able to have a HC member of staff hired in that instance - though I feel the role of non human controlled staff remains mysterious in FHM anyway.
I understand how it works now and about those options. It's not semantics - it's 2 different things.

I only want to be GM, not GM & Coach and then assign most tasks/duties to the coach.

I don't like to compare OOTP & FHM, they're different sports altogether. However when it comes to UI and user control there are a lot of things that FHM could take from OOTP, GM only users in charge of line-ups is one of them.

It was no different with OOTP - we requested this feature for a while and eventually it got added. Now maybe FHM can follow suit if there's a strong enough voice for it.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand how it works now and about those options. It's not semantics - it's 2 different things.

I only want to be GM, not GM & Coach and then assign most tasks/duties to the coach.

I don't like to compare OOTP & FHM, they're different sports altogether. However when it comes to UI and user control there are a lot of things that FHM could take from OOTP, GM only users in charge of line-ups is one of them.

It was no different with OOTP - we requested this feature for a while and eventually it got added. Now maybe FHM can follow suit if there's a strong enough voice for it.

It has my voice added. I agree with you completely bluenoser. I want to be just the GM but ideally I would like to be able to “recommend” certain player roles to my coach. Maybe he ignores me unless I demand he makes the change. And ideally those things can impact our relationship and his desire to resign with me when his contract expires. It is ridiculous to think the GM has no say in how most coaches utilize the players the have at their disposal.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #14
3z4rivyirn
Bat Boy

Quote:

100% agree. In EHM you could do this as well so not sure why FHM hasn’t implemented it.

I want to be GM only but customize the lineups so if I create a player, I want to choose who he plays with and on what line etc but I don’t want to deal with the rest of the coaching stuff because I want to be able to sim through games without interruption.
3z4rivyirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:38 AM   #15
fanat1k
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I noticed that if I always press 'AI create Lines' and play without injuries, the same players appear in the match all season. But if the team has a head coach, then he uses rotation and lets two reserve attackers and a reserve defender play.
fanat1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:44 AM   #16
GlennN
Minors (Single A)

I'll join the call for an option for GM role to be able to set lines. I want to be that overbearing GM that Boucher mentioned! Whether realistic or not, I want more control over the lines, but I also want a head coach doing the rest of the HC job.
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:54 PM   #17
artlan
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
I'll join the call for an option for GM role to be able to set lines. I want to be that overbearing GM that Boucher mentioned! Whether realistic or not, I want more control over the lines, but I also want a head coach doing the rest of the HC job.
Agreed 100%!
artlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:47 AM   #18
chessarmy
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
Same. Really hoping they add this feature. It would put the game over the top for me, as I really enjoy everything else about it.
chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:39 AM   #19
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Another vote here. I only want to play as GM also. But allowing lineup overrides are good. Especially for the strange goalie issue that FHM loves playing the inferior back up.
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:35 PM   #20
artlan
Minors (Single A)

My top feature wish for a while now...that's how I played EHM and would like to play FHM this way too.
artlan is offline   Reply With Quote