Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-23-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Tiger Fan finally gets a fictional League GM Job

I have done a number of historical dynasty reports and in all of them I would act as an overseer, or league convenor if you will. However, with OOTP5 and beta testing for OOTP6 I have become much more interested in fictional players. That is by no means saying I wont run historical leagues anymore. I just thought for change I would try something different...well at least different for me.

I want to see just how absorbed I can get into a game if I was to act as the General Manager of team. I have played as a GM on a number of occassions but I always seemed to want to switch over to the long-term simming mode as I find the statistics and individual performances generated by the league to be extremely interesting. However, now that there seems to be a fair bit more challenges added to the manager mode - improved player development paths, more unpredictable drafts and the 40 man roster/rule V enhancements I thought I would give this a whirl.

I am not sure how much I will document this league but I figure I will post some ideas on what I do in hopes it may give others ideas....and in turn I would love some feedback from you on what works in your fictional leagues.

MOVING MY OOTP5 LEAGUE SETUP TO OOTP6 WITH NEW PLAYERS
The first task was to create my league. I already had a nice 16 team league from OOTP5 called the Western Baseball Alliance. The premise was the Pacific Coast League became a third major league around the time Babe Ruth rose to prominence. I had two leagues called the Mountain League and Pacific Coast League in the alliance. I already had a nice 154 game schedule, a beautiful collection of fictional ballparks and some great logos - thanks to all the mod makers. So I quickly transferred that league into OOTP6.

I wanted the same team names, stadiums and logos but I did want new OOTP6 generated players rather than importing the old OOTP5 players. I am also lazy and did not want to take the time to rename all my teams, including minor league affiliates, matchup the right stadiums and all the other tasks involved in setting up your league. What I wanted was quite simply my old OOTP5 league with new OOTP6 players.

So what I did was create a new league called WesternAlliance.lg as a 16 team fictional league. Then I imported the original copy of my OOTP5 league (Western.lg) into OOTP6. Finally I simply copied the logos folder andthe following .dat files (coaches,league,managers,park, parkconifg,schedule,teams, teams2 and teams3) into my newly created WesternAlliance.lg . Finally I copied all of the necessary Stadium.bmp images from OOTP5 to OOTP6. By overwriting the existing logo and .dat files my new Western Alliance had all of the team and stadium info that my old OOTP5 league had but it was populated by new players ready for an initial draft.

Note - If you try the above make sure you have a backup of your original league and make sure you do it after spring training and just prior to opening day of your old OOTP5 league.

RATINGS?
I decided that I wanted to hide all current and potential player ratings. Let's make this a real challenge for me as a GM. So I turned all ratings off except for the gold stars. The stars really dont give a huge indication of a player's specific ability and I thought they would be a good guideline while I am learning my league.

With no ratings I had a little concern about year 1 of my league. There are no stats so I do not have a lot to judge a player by. Well, as mentioned above I love seeing the long term development and looking back over a league history so I solved that problem by quick simming 30 seasons. I also changed the weighting of how the AI evaluates players to put a much bigger emphasis on stats and very little on ratings (figured they AI should be evaluating players just like I would).

I started my league in 1922 so I went with Baseball's rebirth era setting meaning I will be using a 4-man rotation and the previously mentioned 154 game schedule. For some reason this is how I always love to play the game. More than 16 teams just gets too complicated and with less than 16 teams I feel the league is a little too small.

I enabled all cpu trading, finance mode and rule V drafting. I left everything at default except for team's maximum cash which I upped to $100 million and national broadcasting revenue which I set at 10 million for each club.

I decided not to use manager mode or lock the ratings scale as I wanted some flexibility should I ever need to change anything. Plus if I suck as a gm I will fire myself and move on to another team.

Next step was to sim the first 30 seasons and then take control of the worst club.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
metsgeek
Hall Of Famer

Always interested in your thread, TF. Good read as always.

109 seasons and still running strong!!!
metsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
sporr
Global Moderator

TF, I look forward to reading about your experiences.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
Modern Relic
All Star Starter

Looking forward to another great read, TF.

American Folklore Baseball League (closed): Commissioner/GM - Mudville Nine (ruled!)
Former member of Boys of Summer: GM - St. Louis Browns (doormats!)
Former member of the OTBL: GM - Gashouse Gorillas (also ruled!)

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby
Modern Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks guys. The one other setup thing I forgot to mention is I used the OOTPorigin maker to give everyone a hometown. Sorry I fogot who created it but it is a real nice add-on for fictional leagues although it would be great if Markus could incorporate home towns rather than just countires into OOTP - perhaps a future patch idea hopefully.

30 YEARS LATER, WHO HIRES ME?
The plan was to sim 30 seasons and take over the worst club. So it is now 1952 and the standings are listed below. It looked like San Francisco was the favourite but I also considered Seattle, Houston and Salt Lake City.

The San Francisco Seals were just 2 years removed from a Western Series berth and had loads of cash, a huge market and the 6th best minor league system.

Salt Lake was in a tiny market, nearly broke and had not won a pennant in 20 years. However, the Bees had the best minor league system including 3 players ranked in the top 15.

Houston had the third best minor league system, lots of money, a large market and were just 6 years removed from a pennant winner so the fans still loved the Buffaloes.

Seattle's minor league system was ranked 7th and SS Titus Bolte was their only top 25 prospect. The Rainiers were wthout a pennant in 21 years but did finish second just 3 years ago. They had an average market, good fan support and a good supply of cash.

So really it comes down to Salt Lake or Seattle. Despite the number of good prospects I would say the Bees are in a little worse shape overall so I pack bags and head to Utah. Not sure about the nightlife but I guess my focus will be 100% on building a winner.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

SALT LAKE, HERE I COME - January 1952
My first order of business is to take a detailed look at my team and determine where the few strengths and many weaknesses lie. Since I have no ratings to go by, I decide to make a colour coded spreadsheet based on the scouting report and stats for everyone in my organization.

From that spreadsheet (see below) I decided it could be a long season but there are some bright spots.

First pitching.

In Salt Lake I have Arthur Baxter and little else. Baxter, a 28 year old from Groveton, Virginia was a first round pick of Los Angeles back in 1946. We acquired him a year and half ago and in his first full season with the Bees he was 21-10 and made the allstar team. Unfortunately, he is my only quality starter. 33 year old Adrian Martinez is good enough for the bottom of the rotation but no one else is deserving of a big league job.

In the minors there are 3 prospects with moderate potential - Gregory Carlo at AAA San Antonio, Drew Traynor and Billy Wilcox at AA Topeka. I have the number 1 ranked prospect in the entire Western Alliance sitting at Class A St George. Bayomon, Puerto Rico native Manny Amaral was 17-5 in his third year at Class A. He will definately start the season in Topeka and hopefully in two seasons will join with Baxter to give me the best 1-2 punch in the league.

My bullpen is very good, although closer Bobby Soule is getting old. I also have a decent prospect in David Miyashiro. The former 10th round pick out of the Chicago high school system may be ready to move to AA this year.

The priority this offseason will be to find a couple of reasonably priced pitchers to round out my rotation. I am also going to focus heavily on pitching in the draft.

Old 04-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Position player wise, you can see based on my chart I do not have a player with the ability to start at 2B, CF or RF. SS Michael Desrochers just has 32 big league at bats to his credit but we are counting on the 23 year old Toronto, Ontario native to become the offensive leader of our club. Texan Jody Gautreau hit a career 28 homers a year ago and will provide the power in our lineup.

In the minors we have a great catching prospect in Andrew Sistrunk. The native of Deltona, Florida hit .288 at St George after being drafted second overall a year ago.

As a whole my minor league system is rated number one on the strength of Amaral (1st overall), Sistrunk (4th) and Desrochers (15th). However aside from those three we seem far inferior to other clubs.

Old 04-24-2004, 03:33 PM   #8
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Financially it does not look like I can do much with free agency. I have about 9 million in cash as the free agent period begins but my payroll is already at $52.2 million and my last year revenues were less than $50 million. Tickets were priced at $8 a year ago so I am debating whether I should raise them to $9 in hopes that will generate enough revenue for me to at least break even.

A year from now a bunch of cash will be free as I have several players who I do not plan on resigning entering the final year of their contracts. However, my ace hurler Baxter will also want a hefty raise from the $6 million I am presently paying him when his contract expires at the end of the season.

I have decided to proceed very cautiously in the free agent stage and wait until 10 or 15 days in to see if I can nab a moderately skilled starting pitcher and perhaps an extra outfielder. Other than that I will be forced to rely on the lineup I've got.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

May have solved a bit of my starting pitching woes by since 31 year old Vince Middleton off the waiver wire. Hollywood let the Joliet, Illinois native go after he went 8-10 for AAA Edmonton a year ago.

Middleton, a 5th round pick of Portland in 1942 has been troubled by injuries for most of his career. He was 10-11 for Portland in his only fully healthy season 5 years ago.

If he can stay healthy he will get a shot with us. Best thing is he is cheap - only cost me a minor league deal to sign him.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #10
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff....nice idea with the spread sheet...I use that for my player contracts...but I think now I'm going to make a orginizational scouting report as well...

Can't wait to see how your team does...good luck....and keep the rolaids and pepto close by....hehe
Old 04-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #11
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Nice idea to have a financial spreadsheet to track contracts. I think I will use that idea right away. That, by the way, is the main reason for me doing this dynasty - to give others some ideas that may help in their enjoyment of their personal leagues and in turn I will likely learn a few things as well.

Also. some good news on the financial front for my club. I put Bobby Soule on waivers and he was claimed by Alburquerque. This will save me nearly $3 million dollars and give me some more money to put towards a decent number 3 starter for my rotation. I figure Soules, being 38 is on the downside, and either Green or Landrith can handle the closer duties. I can also elevate Butts from AAA so my pen won't suffer much at all. Now to try and get that starting pitcher.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:27 PM   #12
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

A week into the free agent period and things are still fairly quiet. We had made an offer to just one player. I lowballed 37 year old pitcher Darrell Hottinger. He wanted $2.4 million for one season but I offered him $1.3. So far no one else has expressed any interest in him. I did not expect him to sign with me but who knows maybe I'll get lucky.

The big news is 4 time King Hurler Award winner Eddie Royall has signed with Hollywood for $10.4 million for 6 years. The 34 year old began his career with the Stars before joining Kansas City 5 years ago. He was 58-12 over the past two seasons and a big reason why the Blues have won 4 straight Western Series titles. Good to see him out of the Mountain League.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-24-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:41 AM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

The money we saved by letting Bobby Soule go on waivers came in handy. We got our starting pitcher. 31 year old Edward Artman, a native of nearby Provo, spurned a couple of other offers to sign a 3 year deal worth 3.2 million per season with the Bees. A 9th round draft pick of Oakland back in 1942, Artman has made 2 allstar teams in his career and was a 20 game winner in 1949. Last season he was 11-16 for Phoenix.

I now feel pretty good about my rotation with Arthur Baxter, Adrian Martinez and Artman pencilled into the first 3 slots. The 4th starter job is still up for grabs as Vince Middleton, Richard Johnson, Gary Roache, Carlos Villatoro, Gregory Carlo and Patrick Gouge all have a shot at it.

I do not expect to make any more free agent signings unless I fill out my minors with some scrubs but that will likely not be until after the draft.

I also added another Utah native off of the waiver wire. 22 year old third sacker Larry Woodman, from Cedar City, is a longshot to play regularly in the bigs but he did hit 22 homers in Class A Modesto a year ago. Drafted in the 7th round by Los Angeles in 1948, Woodman was moved to the Padres the following season. He played one major league game for San Diego last year and hit a career best .267 with 12 homers in Class A before being waived. He will likely be assigned to Class AA Topeka.

Check the waiver wire regularly as each day players are being added. Not a lot of talent available usually but for a poor club like mine it is an opportunity to cheaply add some depth.

To give the players more of a personality I have created images of all the players on my major league roster and will likely do the same for most other teams in the league as I get going. I have to thank Dreamteams for both the idea and the template - not to mention many of the faces I 'borrowed' off his website. I won't post anymore of them but thought you might like to see how they look in the game.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:10 AM   #14
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

END OF FREE AGENT PERIOD
Received a couple of trade offers as the free agent period came to a close. New Orleans offered me CF Gabino Menedez for reliever Dustin Landreth. My scout calls Menedez an average ballplayer but his stats are not very impressive. A second round pick back in 1940, he has played just 257 major league games. Last season, he batted .183 in 88 games for the Pelicans....no wonder they are trying to unload him. Landreth is a solid reliever and as much as I could use an upgrade at centerfield, I do not think Menedez is the guy to provide it.

The second offer really has me thinking. San Francisco is trying to get number 2 starter Adrian Martinez from me. The 33 year old Martinez is a good fit on my roster. He is cheap, making just $300,000 although he is arbitration eligible next season, and despite a 6-18 record a year ago my scout thinks he can be a decent pitcher. The Seals are offering a nice package for him. 32 year old RF William Broussard, who hit .294 with 9 homers in 132 games last year and minor league prospect Richard Dorsey. The 23 year old Dorsey has 46 saves in two seasons of Class A ball and is rated the 57th best prospect in the league. My scout feels he will be a dominant closer in the future. The drawback is I was just feeling pretty good about my rotation and this will definately hurt it a bit. However, Broussard is a big upgrade on present RF Bobby Blecha and Dorsey would give me a star closer in the system. I wavered back and forth a fair bit but in the end I decided to call San Francisco back and take the deal. Hopefully one of my mediocre starting pitchers can step up to replace Martinez - although at 6-18 a year ago it really isn't a lot to replace.

I am going to put Martinez in my player tracker and see what he does in the PCL. I am also going to shop Blecha around and see if I can get a middle of the road prospect for him.

Now it is time to prepare for the draft.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #15
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I have the second pick in the draft and there are 4 players I am considering.

OF -David McMullin - The 22 year old hit .322 with 13 homers at the University of Arkansas. The scouts love him and project him as having middle of the order power. He gets a 78 out of 80 on future potential. Wants $2.5 million in signing bonus.

P -Tommy Clausson - A 19 year old who went 14-0 with a 0.46 era playing high school ball in Lebanon, Pa. He has a great arm and projects at a perfect 80 for potential. Asking for just $1.6 million to sign.

2B - Brad Cousin 22 year old California native who attended the University of Virginia. He hit .367 with 16 homers although the competition in his league was considered easy. Not very good defensively but a tremendous hitter. 80 out of 80 for future potential but he wants more than $3 million to sign.

2B Samuel Williams 19. The Jacksonville high school phenom hit .599 with 8 homers in just over 100 at bats. Better defensively than Cousin, although not much. When he fills out should have some real pop in his bat. Projects as 78 out of 80 and wants $1.35 million to sign.

My first thought is I want the pitcher. Visions of a rotation a few years from now anchored by Clausson, Manny Amaral and maybe a veteran Arthur Baxter seem too good to pass up. On the other hand, high school pitchers are unpredictable and I have a real need for either Cousin or McMullin and both should be ready much earlier than Clausson. Of course, Clausson or Williams would be much easier on my budget constraints. Any thoughts? You have seen my depth chart and now pretty much what I do about the 4 prospects.

I will make my pick on Sunday since it is getting late but I will end some of the suspense by letting San Francisco make the first overall pick right now.

The Seals go with California native Brad Cousin. So that leaves my choice between Clausson, Williams and McMullin. This is tough.but extremely addictive. I would like to keep going but I have to call it a night....and besides I just can't decide who to pick. I want the high school pitcher but something in the back of my mind keeps saying take McMullin he is a much safer pick and has great upside. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:38 AM   #16
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

That is tough....I lean toward Clausson just due to I feel he is the best player availble..... but on the otherhand...he is most likely 2-3 years away from being ready to get the promotion to the parent club. I'm torn between him and McMullin.

McMullin has a higher price tag and slightly less potential....but unlike Clausson, should be ready in the near future and is probably a safer pick.

I think judging from looking at your scouting report above...I would take McMullin even though Clausson has more potential. Mainly due to I feel your team needs talent and even with the higher potertial...its a gamble that can hurt if it doesn't pan out. It is tempting though to have two Franchise Player prospects in A-Ball...
Old 04-25-2004, 04:43 AM   #17
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

I'd take McMullin as in a couple of years you'll need a replacement for Gatreau, who is getting to the stage of his career where he may level out.

My 2c anyway
Gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #18
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Well, I played it safe and went with McMullin in the first round. The young pitcher Claussen was selected by Houston with the third pick and Samuel Williams went to Alburquerque 4th so it seems each club was on the same page with regards to the top 4 prospects.

The remainder of my draft is as follows

Round 2 - Randal Elzy. 19 year old from Grapevine, Texas. He had some great high school numbers but my scout thinks he is a bottom of the rotation starter at best.

Round 3 - Travis Mader. Another teenager from Texas, Mader has tremendous basestealing ability and a terrific defensive centerfielder. The question is will he ever be able to hit major league pitching.

Round 4 - Daniel Johnson. Another high schooler, he is 19 and hails from Jacksonville. Johnson is quick and an outstanding defensive shortstop.

Round 5 - Jason Bufford - An 18 year pitcher from Champaign, Illinois who projects as a possible major league closer.

Round 6 - Lyndon Crenshaw. Yet another high schooler, the 18 year old is a relief pitcher from Chicago. He is a project but my scouts feel he may surprise some people.

Round 7 - Dean Finchem - A 22 year old lefthander from Baytown, Texas via the University of Louisville. Finchem is a long shot to ever make my rotation

Round 8 - Thomas Hyman- Another lefthander, the 21 year old hails from Honolulu and projects as a middle reliever.

Round 9 - David Risner 21 year old CF from Kansas City. Not a lot of upside but has great speed so I figured it was worth a shot at this stage of the draft.

Round 10 - Victor Crothers 22 year old RF from Elk Grove, Illinois and the Southern Miss. I liked his power numbers in university although my scout feels he has no shot at the bigs.

After the first couple of rounds I decide to look for players that seemed to do one thing quite well. In most cases I grabbed some real speedsters and it was a nice bonus if, like Mader and Johnson, they could play some slick D. With a little luck one or two of them can develop just enough at the plate that they could be solid contributers down the road. I also drafted 5 pitchers with the hope that maybe one or two of them could develop. Time will tell.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #19
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

RULE V DRAFT
A total of 6 players changed teams in the rule V draft. We had an open slot and decided to take a chance on SS Brian Hafford. My scout is raving about the 24 year old from Ann Arbor, Michigan. "He is a solid prospect and will be a quality shortstop" says the scout. Personally, I just don't see it.
Hafford was selected by San Francisco in the 6th round of the 1947 draft. He has spent the past 5 years shuffling between AA and A ball and has hit under .200 every season except his rookie pro year. Last year he hit a Mendoza like .167 in 111 games at AA Biloxi (SF). Like I said, I just don't see him sticking with our club. But I am in a position where I can afford to take a chance and Hafford can play SS,2B or the OF plus has good speed so I can use him as a defensive replacement or pinch runner and see what happens.

SPRING TRAINING
I decide to have the cpu run spring training based on my coaches suggestions. Hey, among other things I noticed Hafford had a great spring. He had a good batting session, displayed more power and improved his strike zone judgement.

Now to set my roster at each level and prepare for opening day, which will be at home to New Orleans on April 17th. The opening month will be a good test as 9 of our 12 games are against the Pelicans and the Denver Bears, teams that finished 2nd and 3rd a year ago.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #20
Hank Greenberg
Major Leagues

I think I would have went with the pitcher myself, though that was more of a gamble. Partly is the money thing, part is age (at 22 he really has only 3 or 4 years to develop into a Middle of the Order hitter, and had just 13 HRs at Arkansas...but he is by no means bad).

I wonder how those 4 guys do in their careers (Im sure you'll keep us updated)
Hank Greenberg is offline   Reply With Quote