Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 10 > FHM10 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM10 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-18-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

CSV to HTML converter

As FHM still doesn't have any HTML output, I'm wondering if anyone has a csv to html converter that works with 10? The one I used for FHM8 is giving me a error. And I know nothing about what that error means. LOL

drummerJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Ignore me, I'd misread the file path.

What is this utility that you're using and where can I download a copy?

Last edited by tomkmb; 11-18-2023 at 12:37 PM.
tomkmb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:50 PM   #3
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkmb View Post
Ignore me, I'd misread the file path.

What is this utility that you're using and where can I download a copy?
I'm not really sure where I found the utility. It's just a small exe called FHM8-htmlGEN.vbs. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web now.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerJ99 View Post
I'm not really sure where I found the utility. It's just a small exe called FHM8-htmlGEN.vbs. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web now.
Can you send it to me via dropbox or googledrive or something?
Old 11-19-2023, 09:10 AM   #5
landru22
Major Leagues

I created that utility. It was programmed to work for my league only, but I shared it hoping that it would help someone else. There are too many variables to get this to work universally. I haven't dived into FHM10 yet, but I think there may have been changes made to the CSV output that would prevent my utility from working.
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #6
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
I created that utility. It was programmed to work for my league only, but I shared it hoping that it would help someone else. There are too many variables to get this to work universally. I haven't dived into FHM10 yet, but I think there may have been changes made to the CSV output that would prevent my utility from working.

Gotcha. Yeah it worked great for 8. Not sure why the devs can’t make a simple thing like this. I understand not wanting to make full blown html output like OOTP but would think this would be an easy solution.

EDIT: Somehow by a stroke of luck I got it to work to produce HTML for boxscore. Which is the main thing I wanted it to do.

Last edited by drummerJ99; 11-19-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #7
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Gotcha. Yeah it worked great for 8. Not sure why the devs can’t make a simple thing like this. I understand not wanting to make full blown html output like OOTP but would think this would be an easy solution.

EDIT: Somehow by a stroke of luck I got it to work to produce HTML for boxscore. Which is the main thing I wanted it to do.
I don't think it's a case of 'create something simple like this' what if you encounter an error with it? What if something gets updated? It's not just the creation of a utility it's the maintainence time that comes with it - all drawing valuable man hours away from the actual game development. This is the sort of thing we have to hope comes from the community eventually.

Can you show me a screenshot of the output it gives you? Is it just an unformatted HTML table?
Old 11-19-2023, 05:54 PM   #8
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
I don't think it's a case of 'create something simple like this' what if you encounter an error with it? What if something gets updated? It's not just the creation of a utility it's the maintainence time that comes with it - all drawing valuable man hours away from the actual game development. This is the sort of thing we have to hope comes from the community eventually.

Can you show me a screenshot of the output it gives you? Is it just an unformatted HTML table?
But they know what's in the CSV and what all it is exported.So should be pretty simple I'd think to make something.

As for what it outputs, here's the correct looking boxscore (other then logos)

But what doesn't work right is standings. But that's not a huge deal. I mainly wanted the boxscore.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:02 PM   #9
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

10 versions in I still can’t believe there is no way to view game summaries, standings and leaderboards outside of the game. Even a simple print to text file would be something. A simple to use exe program that converts the csv files to a display like shown above would be even better.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 10:21 PM   #10
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

You can use Convertio
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:17 AM   #11
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
You can use Convertio
I tried a handful of the csv's on Convertio. None came out with anyting reassembling what I posted above or really anything close to usable. The above with FHM8 everything as hyperlinked. Clicking on a team in standings took you to that teams page.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
Goalie39
Minors (Single A)

Having a way to convert csv to html would be a nice feature. I understand the support concern.

Adding a way to easily build a website for online leagues would be a huge addition to the game.

Matt
Goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #13
daigle91
Minors (Double A)

I used to program in a language called Perl many years ago, that was great for stuff like this. Could create a Perl script to parse the game's exported CSVs, and then have it 'build' an HTML page. (Does require the Perl interpreter to be installed to run scripts)

This thread got me interested, so I played around with it a bit this afternoon, simply building an HTML page in Perl and have period goal totals (that I just made up) add up to the final score (didn't try to read or write any files at this point)

see my sample below (scoring only)
Attached Images
daigle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:45 PM   #14
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle91 View Post
I used to program in a language called Perl many years ago, that was great for stuff like this. Could create a Perl script to parse the game's exported CSVs, and then have it 'build' an HTML page. (Does require the Perl interpreter to be installed to run scripts)

This thread got me interested, so I played around with it a bit this afternoon, simply building an HTML page in Perl and have period goal totals (that I just made up) add up to the final score (didn't try to read or write any files at this point)

see my sample below (scoring only)
Awesome! A friend of mine programs in Pearl for our Front Office Football league, he shared something with me and helped me install the Pearl interpreter and it was very simple, I'd say that could be something people could do relatively easily with simple instruction.

Thanks for taking the time to take a stab at something like this!
Old 11-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #15
daigle91
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Awesome! A friend of mine programs in Pearl for our Front Office Football league, he shared something with me and helped me install the Pearl interpreter and it was very simple, I'd say that could be something people could do relatively easily with simple instruction.

Thanks for taking the time to take a stab at something like this!

It was a fun little 'proof of concept' to show it can be done quite quickly.

To really speed up the process, it would be best to design the layout of your score sheet page in a visual HTML editor where you can create tables (drag and drop), text and other framework easily, then extract its underlying HTML source code into your Perl script with the corresponding coding ...

for example,

print " <td>MON</td>";
print " <td>$x</td>";
print " <td>$y</td>";
print " <td>$z</td>";
print " <td>$sum</td>";

print " "; is the Perl command (has options to print each line to a file, which you will ultimately need to do to create your HTML page with data)

<td>MON</td> is some table source code from your HTML editor

$x, $y, $z are the Perl variables that store the period goals data from the CSV file ($sum would be calculated in script)

Last edited by daigle91; 11-21-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:23 AM   #16
drummerJ99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle91 View Post
It was a fun little 'proof of concept' to show it can be done quite quickly.

To really speed up the process, it would be best to design the layout of your score sheet page in a visual HTML editor where you can create tables (drag and drop), text and other framework easily, then extract its underlying HTML source code into your Perl script with the corresponding coding ...

for example,

print " <td>MON</td>";
print " <td>$x</td>";
print " <td>$y</td>";
print " <td>$z</td>";
print " <td>$sum</td>";

print " "; is the Perl command (has options to print each line to a file, which you will ultimately need to do to create your HTML page with data)

<td>MON</td> is some table source code from your HTML editor

$x, $y, $z are the Perl variables that store the period goals data from the CSV file ($sum would be calculated in script)
That's cool to know it can be done....but all that is foreign to me. Maybe it's time to find some youtube videos. lol
Old 11-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #17
tomkmb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
That's cool to know it can be done....but all that is foreign to me. Maybe it's time to find some youtube videos. lol
I didn't know one thing about coding in July of last year, I wanted to get into it to mess with CSVs from Front Office Football - between YT tutorials and using ChatGPT it's definitely achievable with 0 experience - I have been able to mess with all of the things I wanted to and it's still fun to learn by trying to mess with other data from games too. I chose Python because it's an 'easier' language to understand in terms of its syntax, it's also incredibly popular so the free resources on it are plentiful.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:21 PM   #18
DrunkenTeddy
Major Leagues

I believe the response we typically hear when requesting an HTML output is that they've seen community converters made before and were hoping that the community would build one again, it looks like some people have tried but the csv outputs now have way more data than they did back in FHM2 and with all the different types of leagues you can create it is hard to create something universal.

I worked with some other guys to build a site based on the csv output but it is highly customized for that league in particular and requires a server to host it (running node.js and mysql). I'm cool with people picking my brain on it if they want to ask questions, but it unfortunately doesn't work for other leagues in it's current state, it would require a lot of changes. The site is https://index.simulationhockey.com if anyone is curious.
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:17 PM   #19
daigle91
Minors (Double A)

version 0.4b is now available for download.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=352068