Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Smile OOTP 11 Patch #4 coming up!

Hey friends,

Andreas was busy coding some new features for OOTP 12, but we decided that they'd be a good fit for OOTP 11 as well, so we will release a new patch very soon. The new version will support Facebook & Twitter, which should be useful for online leagues and dynasty writers, as well as people who want to bug their friends with OOTP-related news

During the development time I tried to fix a few bugs as well, and here is the current list of fixes:

- Fixed issues with awards not going to deserving players when they are not on a team
- Fixed projected payroll calculation when extension offers exist
- Fixed rare crashes when enabling the DH prior to a game
- Fixed some PbP issues
- Fixed issue that resulted in duplicated players when manually activating minor league players from the DL and asking for AI minor setup afterwards
- Fixed rare instances when players have no demands listed in the free agent list but asked for a major league contract in the offer screen
- Fixed a bug which caused bad fielding ratings when importing a historical league with custom CSV files and neutralized stats enabled
- Fixed problem where story line messages did not contain person names
- Ongoing stories will now be saved in world.dat instead of an extra file
- Added several baseball card features
- File version of english.xml file displayed on database info page
- Fixed multiple small bugs, mainly cosmetic ones

Andreas will explain the new stuff in a later post

All the best!
Markus

PS: iOOTP is progressing nicely, and full-time OOTP 12 development will start very soon.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Changes made to the baseball card system:

When you create a baseball card in the baseball cards dialog you'll find a new dialog where you can optionally enter a name for the card and also optionally select a template file!

Template system:

OOTP will first look for [trigger]_[year].xml, then for [trigger]_[decade].xml, then [trigger].xml, then default_[year].xml, then default_[decade].xml, then default.xml

Example:
If a player plays in an All-Star team and OOTP generates a baseball card in the league year 1989, OOTP will look for the following XML files in this order:
all_star_1989.xml, all_star_198.xml, all_star.xml, default_1989.xml, default_198.xml, default.xml

Added the following tokens:

[%TEAM_JERSEY_MAIN_COLOR]
[%TEAM_JERSEY_SECONDARY_COLOR]
[%TEAM_JERSEY_PIN_STRIPES_COLOR]

[%TEAM_BALLCAPS_MAIN_COLOR]
[%TEAM_BALLCAPS_VISOR_COLOR]

[%SUB_LEAGUE_NAME]
[%SUB_LEAGUE_ABBR]

Added random number generator:
[%RANDOM_NUMBER] returns 0 to 9
[%RANDOM_NUMBER][%RANDOM_NUMBER] returns 00 to 99

Image elements can contain attributes to temporarily change certain Facegen settings:

facegen_zoom: in, normal, out, random
facegen_angle: from_left, from_right, straight, random

Example:

<ELEMENT type="image" x="-5" y="9" zorder="1" width="206" height="278" content="PICTURE" facegen_zoom="in" facegen_angle="from_left" />
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

For some reason, this news is a bit upsetting to me. While I appreciate the patch, please be a bit less definite next time when you announce "THE FINAL PATCH" in the forums and the newsletter. In any event, I will know next time not to take any position in a debate over whether one is forthcoming, or whether it would be in the best interests of OOTP.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Well we changed our mind. I'm sure for most people that's not a bad thing.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Well we changed our mind. I'm sure for most people that's not a bad thing.
Well, OK. Rest assured that I do have your best interests in mind. I'll get over my embarrassment.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Well, OK. Rest assured that I do have your best interests in mind. I'll get over my embarrassment.
*tongue firmly planted in cheek*

Hrrrm....Let me think...Am I happy that a patch has been released that potentially (pending tests by us historical gamers of course) fixes a game breaking bug for myself and others or would I rather have saved 1998 Yankees/DejaBru "embarrassment" for making an eloquent, passionate defense for Markus and Co not releasing another patch? I mean despite the fact that I disagreed with your stance I did give your post(s?) a thankyou in the patch/drunken uncle/catfight thread. It's a tough call. You're a Yankee fan though and this patch has the potential to fix a game breaker. Guess which side I'm coming down on?
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Anything that improves an already great pbp is fine with me.
Cornelius McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

no complaint here, thanks for the bone!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I hate patches! That is my opinion! Don't deny my freedom of aspeech by publicly disagreeing with me!
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

^^^^^^
Now, that's funny!
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I hate patches! That is my opinion! Don't deny my freedom of aspeech by publicly disagreeing with me!

PM sent
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #12
mtw
All Star Reserve

After swearing off OOTP11 and all future versions, I checked up on the "Are you ok with OOTP11 not having any more patches?" for a few days, mostly to see how this thread was developing. After seeing that the thread was going to peter out like any thread that challenges poorly executed aspects of OOTP always does now, I give up. However, on sudden inspiration (a week later) I decide to check on that thread just one more time, but without any real expectation of anything positive. I find MD left, which was shocking and disappointing, but imagine my gladness to see Markus having returned to the board, and my joy at seeing that the heartfelt message from the OOTP minority was received by Markus, with his announcement of a new patch.

Then I saw the patch list.

Again, the "modern" OOTP players win; those who want OOTP to give them statistical accuracy are ignored in favor of those who want OOTP to give them "baseball cards" and "stories".

I would second my previous rant, in which I swore off OOTP11 and future versions, but what's the point? All the previous posts in this forum by me and others about the poor ability of OOTP to score unearned runs and RBI's on plays with errors were ignored by development and these bugs will continue, along with the relatively newfound serious design flaw with runners at 2nd holding at 3rd better than 60% of the time on base hits to the OF with two outs (and more generally the excessive bordering on silly application of station-to-station baserunning in OOTP11).

Not even an acknowledgment of these bugs.

All the developers have to do is sim a 1901 equivalent season, go through about 50 game logs, and see how earned runs and RBI's are scored, and how often runners on 2nd are held at 3rd on base hits to the OF.

These are blatant, major bugs for early era seasons.

Oh well. Affirmation for my decision to stop using OOTP11 and forego future versions. At least I still have 6.5.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #13
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Question: Are earned runs scored any better in 6.5?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw View Post
After swearing off OOTP11 and all future versions, I checked up on the "Are you ok with OOTP11 not having any more patches?" for a few days, mostly to see how this thread was developing. After seeing that the thread was going to peter out like any thread that challenges poorly executed aspects of OOTP always does now, I give up. However, on sudden inspiration (a week later) I decide to check on that thread just one more time, but without any real expectation of anything positive. I find MD left, which was shocking and disappointing, but imagine my gladness to see Markus having returned to the board, and my joy at seeing that the heartfelt message from the OOTP minority was received by Markus, with his announcement of a new patch.

Again, the "modern" OOTP players win; those who want OOTP to give them statistical accuracy are ignored in favor of those who want OOTP to give them "baseball cards" and "stories".

I would second my previous rant, in which I swore off OOTP11 and future versions, but what's the point? All the previous posts in this forum by me and others about the poor ability of OOTP to score unearned runs and RBI's on plays with errors were ignored by development and these bugs will continue, along with the relatively newfound serious design flaw with runners at 2nd holding at 3rd better than 60% of the time on base hits to the OF with two outs (and more generally the excessive bordering on silly application of station-to-station baserunning in OOTP11).

Oh well. Affirmation for my decision to stop using OOTP11 and forego future versions. At least I still have 6.5.
See you here same time tomorrow then
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

All the developers have to do is sim a 1901 equivalent season, go through about 50 game logs, and see how earned runs and RBI's are scored, and how often runners on 2nd are held at 3rd on base hits to the OF.

Sorry, but every time someone brings up "baseball cards" and "stories" it has to be repeated, for those that may be new to these boards and OOTP and buy into this red herring,

BASEBALL CARDS AND STORIES TAKE AWAY NO DEVELOPMENT\PATCHING TIME FROM THE GAME ENGINE

and therefore have no effect whatsoever on whether the earned run issue or any game engine issue was fixed.

The rest of your post simply sounds like...

"Oh, look Markus went to the effort to make an extra patch, YEAH! What a guy! What can I say? I love him! I can now return to the OOTP fold and enjoy the best baseball simulator on the market." .....

"Wait a minute, he didn't get to my pet issue?" "Really?" "Wow, Markus just doesn't care, I knew it all the time!" "Guess that means I'm back to 6.5, the real "best baseball simulator on the market".
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

Sigh.
Will the new patch be compatible with the current patch for on-line leagues?
Or will updating have to be coordinated between all league participants?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Sabermetric Baseball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
Sigh.
Considering all four of the past patch versions are compatible with each other, I suspect this one will be too.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
Sigh.
I've exported happily to an 11.2.23 league with no problems.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

mtw, I hear ya. I wonder though if it's a matter of how complex/unwieldy the ER/RBI bug, and the baserunning issues are to fix, particularly with all that's been added to the game since 6.5. You haven't answered whether or not these two were an issue in 6.5. Perhaps Markus released a patch to fix what he could fix now, and then get to work on OOTP12. We're all crossing our fingers that these two get squished once and for all in 12 (at least perhaps we should be, considering they're bugs that would affect players using any style of play). I fully realize that these two bugs have an importance among OOTPers ranging from non-existent, to fix this bug now or I'm a jumping a plane and I'm a gonna find me Heinbockel and I'm a gonna take you out (if you're thinking of doing this, please don't - you're 100% guaranteeing that it won't get fixed), but these two are very important to some of us. Please don't write this post off as just another excuse, or the ramblings of an OOTP apologist/fanboy. I can assure you they're not. It's more of an explanation that maybe it's harder to fix than any of us know.

With regards to baseball cards, this is an oft heard complaint, but it is a fallacy. Andreas works on the eye candy, which means Markus is the bug squisher/programmer. Somebody mentioned in another thread that he's probably stretched pretty thin by wearing those two hats, and coming on the boards as often as he does. Maybe you'd like to see him raise the price every year so he can eventually afford to hire a designated bug squisher? Didn't think so. It's probably not as easy to sit in his chair as we think it is sitting in ours. That's not going to stop me from pointing out things that need addressing, and neither should it stop you. At times I may do so angrily, but I will try to always try to mix in some courtesy, realizing that pure bluster is more likely to get Markus and Co to put my posts on permanent ignore. I know it's tough to maintain perspective when you're frustration's boiling over, but try it sometime. You never know where you'll get with some honey mixed in with the vinegar. I can guarantee you where you'll get with pure vinegar and it's not where you want to go.

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-02-2010 at 12:16 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:

1) The ER engine handles 99% of all situations correctly, in fact I am not aware of any open bugs in that area. If you know any, send me a PM and I'll gladly have a look.

2) Baserunning works exactly as in real life, the engine is built using years of real play-by-play data and the frequency of certain baserunning events is spot-on. If you calim it to be broken, I'd like to see some data in a reasonable sample size to back up your opinion.

3) Features like storylines or baseball cards are coded by Andreas, not me, hence do not take away any time from the core engine development.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote