Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 24 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2023 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB, the MLBPA and the KBO.

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 11:17 AM   #21
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I vote for more boring games like OOTP.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-23-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:05 PM   #22
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

'I am never bored; to be bored is an insult to one's self.'
—Jules Renard

I've been playing this game for 19 years. I've never been bored.

“His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, and called himself Sam.”—Lord of Light

“Meet me down the line on Gypsy Friday"—Townes van Zandt

"Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."—Olenna Tyrell
Old 12-23-2023, 08:00 PM   #23
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
Question: Anyone else notice this?

Answer: Small sample size.

Wow. Yeah, that's an answer alright.
Outsider omitted yes or no. Let's put them in an answer and see what happens.

"Yes, I've experienced that. However what you're noticing is due to small sample size not a defect in the game."

Or it could have been answered...

"No, I've not seen that, at least not that I remember. I probably wouldn't remember an event where I realized contemporaneously it was due to small sample size and not an issue."

The actual question being asked isn't whether anyone else has seen it but whether it's a defect in the game. A simple yes or no doesn't answer the actual question.

rudel,dietrich is right

1967 World Series A's and Pirates - A Short Story in several parts
Old 12-24-2023, 12:07 AM   #24
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Outsider omitted yes or no. Let's put them in an answer and see what happens.

"Yes, I've experienced that. However what you're noticing is due to small sample size not a defect in the game."

Or it could have been answered...

"No, I've not seen that, at least not that I remember. I probably wouldn't remember an event where I realized contemporaneously it was due to small sample size and not an issue."

The actual question being asked isn't whether anyone else has seen it but whether it's a defect in the game. A simple yes or no doesn't answer the actual question.
I agree, and I did try to answer the question the best I could above. In one post I did show my disapproval of someone suggesting the question should be deleted for some reason. I’m not sure why the forums continue to have this toxic, sarcastic tone…or why fanboys (a.k.a. Sycophants) continue to rally around the flag by constantly trying to belittle anyone who may be the slightest bit critical of OOTP.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 12-24-2023 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:33 AM   #25
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I’m venturing a guess that I’m regarded as a sycophant. If so, I’ll politely disagree. The OP could have chosen his words more carefully IMHFO. Also, I genuinely believe that boredom is due to lack of exploration. That said, I completely acknowledge that my sarcasm is ofttimes unbridled and off putting. C’est la vie.

“His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, and called himself Sam.”—Lord of Light

“Meet me down the line on Gypsy Friday"—Townes van Zandt

"Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."—Olenna Tyrell
Old 12-24-2023, 03:47 AM   #26
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Question: Anyone else notice this?

Answer: Small sample size.

Wow. Yeah, that's an answer alright.
I gave the answer the question deserved.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:48 AM   #27
zappa1
All Star Starter

Yeah. Rude and obnoxious. Merry Christmas and good tidings to you. Out.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:50 AM   #28
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I agree, and I did try to answer the question the best I could above. In one post I did show my disapproval of someone suggesting the question should be deleted for some reason. I’m not sure why the forums continue to have this toxic, sarcastic tone…or why fanboys (a.k.a. Sycophants) continue to rally around the flag by constantly trying to belittle anyone who may be the slightest bit critical of OOTP.
Totally agree. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:56 AM   #29
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Yeah. Rude and obnoxious. Merry Christmas and good tidings to you. Out.
Yeah I agree the OP was very rude and obnoxious. Happy holidays
Old 12-24-2023, 07:02 AM   #30
zappa1
All Star Starter

Feel sorry for you, man. You are truly backwards. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:14 AM   #31
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good post until you got to the name calling.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #32
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Good post until you got to the name calling.
Well, I am not really trying to name-call...I am more trying to just point out who is doing this type of thing more often these days. I am not sure the reasoning behind it...I could get more into that, but I won't get deep into it.

I mean, just because someone has a criticism of OOTP doesn't mean they need to be heckled and ridiculed at every turn because certain people feel the need to justify the way they might spend most of their free time.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #33
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I am not really trying to name-call...I am more trying to just point out who is doing this type of thing more often these days. I am not sure the reasoning behind it...I could get more into that, but I won't get deep into it.

I mean, just because someone has a criticism of OOTP doesn't mean they need to be heckled and ridiculed at every turn because certain people feel the need to justify the way they might spend most of their free time.
And virtue signalling from your pedestal makes you feel good.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:28 AM   #34
mytreds
All Star Starter

Calling someone a sycophant is considered name calling? Virtue signaling? I think you just QED’d his point.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

Floreat semper vel invita morte.

I make custom ballparks.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #35
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In the context of your post I don't see a difference between sycophant, fan boy, or another poster using troll, or whiner. All terms add something to the atmosphere on these forums.

There was one user that thought the thread should be deleted and I totally agreed with you asking why? If we still had the "thanks" button I would have clicked it. If your post ended with "I’m not sure why the forums continue to have this toxic, sarcastic tone" it is a good post that reinforces your point on someone asking for the thread to be deleted. Not sure I'd go as far as to call the "deletion" post "toxic" but certainly, IMHO, not necessary either.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:55 PM   #36
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I was going to wade in and agree that this seems like piling on and then the usual suspects started in with the weirdo name-calling and I just noped out. And now... I'm back to let you know I CAN REALLY SHAKE EM DOWN to just me like jeez, calm down everyone. I get how the piling on stuff happens; it's nothing concerted, just one person sees a (to be honest, kind of dumb) criticism and they have to weigh on on it, and then 10 other people do the same thing individually and boom, we're browbeating some poor new guy over an (stupid) opinion about the game. I guess... if you see 5 people already wading in with the same point you're making, perhaps consider the effect of being guy #6 and choose to butt out.

At the same time, maybe let's not adopt the rhetoric of the morons in and around Washington DC (or who were just elected to office since being "in DC" seems to be an insult now). I really, really try to take people who I know are complete idiots on here when it comes to politics seriously, and the more y'all use this terminology, the harder it is for me and I am guessing a lot of other people to divorce the dumb politics with maybe-not-dumb takes about a text-based baseball simulation.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 12-24-2023, 08:38 PM   #37
liberty-ca
Minors (Single A)

We are a sad, bitter, passive-aggressive bunch. Sorry...
Old 12-25-2023, 09:41 AM   #38
Pdubya64
Major Leagues

I think it's just the power of time compression hard at work. We play our seasons very rapidly, even if you play out each at bat. So compared to trends in the actual RL season things will always stand out and/or trigger our "that's not right!" button.

Off the top of my head a GM game with the Mariners this last season didn't go well as within a week of the season start Robby Ray blew out his elbow... doh!
I was hoping for at least a few quality starts despite his real life injury history. Alas, it was not to be.

One of my ongoing personal issues with OOTP is being engaged enough with the team and its prospects (fortunes, not players) to not succumb to rage quitting due to an "obvious" outlier that goes against my GM efforts.

We've all been there.
Still... I am really looking forward to the coming spring. I hope the beta group will prove useful in any number of ways to getting the game out of what I perceive as a rut. Perhaps that coincides with the launch of Perfect Team? Dunno. One could make the point that efforts in that direction have siphoned OOTP staff from the main game.

It should be fun regardless. Go Tigers!
Old 12-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #39
Jasper70
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for asking. I've noticed that it does go both ways. I just noted in a game vs San Diego that with 2 outs and nobody on, 8
8 hitter HBP
9 hitter, flop wedge infield hit
1 hitter, single, bases loaded
2 hitter, Bogarts single 1 run
3 hitter Tatis (with a flame) Grand Slam
This is a sequence I've seen often enough to comment. Ive had games where my team (Rockies) scored a ton of runs with 2 outs as well.
So, it is not really a complaint just a comment on quirkiness.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:11 PM   #40
Tony-OH
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Unfortunately you do see that here a lot. Now, the OP should not have used the title for the thread because it doesn't match the complaint.

I've been playing OOTP since about version 4 or 5 I think. I love the game and accept some of the flaws one of which is absolutely there are way too many two out hits when you play in play by play mode.

I typically sim game until the 6th inning then may sim half inning at time but if the game gets close I take over. Now I didn't sim this 100 times over like one of the poster wanted before he could accept that the two-hit thing is an issue, but I've noticed that batters must hit nearly .400 or .500 if they come up after the first tow batters got out.

I've seen way too many two out rallies late in games by not only the computer, but my team as well. I mean a 4 or more run rally with two outs in an inning is not an oddity at all in my experience, and hasn't been for many, many versions.

I actually joke after getting the first two batters get out that I just hope the 3rd batter only gets a single.

I actually just got done with a game where I was leading 5-3, two outs in the 8th with a reliever that had only thrown 14 pitches and was well in the green when the Red Sox put a 7 spot up. And that was after bringing in a reliever after he gave up the first 4 runs.

Now, I'm not bitching about it because I've accepted this as a reality of the game I play. I don't know anything about coding but there is something in there that must try to even things out and sometimes it goes over board.

It's still a great game and I accept it flaws in game play as part of the experience.

Last edited by Tony-OH; 12-28-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Closed Thread