Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #21
kq76
Global Moderator

Add a Draft Board / More Draft Pick Recommendations - I saw pizzacutter suggest this and I've wanted this for awhile too. You ask your scouting director for a recommendation and if you don't like their recommendation, that's all they've got for you (unless you specify a position). I'd love a top 10 or 20, something more than just one player. Teams have "draft boards" IRL, we should have one in the game.

If Possible, Schedule Makeup Games On Shared Off Day Immediately Following Same Series - LGO pointed out to me that OOTP likes to schedule doubleheaders, instead of on a shared off day immediately after the same series, and I confirmed that. I realize there won't always be the opportunity, but it'd be better if they did that as opposed to not.

Add RBOE (Reached Base on Error) to Batting Stats Views - CI (Catcher Interference) is there, why not RBOE? They're similar in that they're fairly rare events, but some batters shown an ability in them and both are becoming more frequent in recent years. Some people, including myself, even think it's long past time that they both be included in OBP.

Add Multiple Stats to the Pitching Stats Views - I have a separate thread for this, but, in short, the stats I'd like to see added to the pitching views are: HR%, H%, Opponent wOBA, IP/G, Goose Eggs and Broken Eggs, SD/MD, xFIP, LDs, and GB%/LD%/FB%. The batting stats we have are pretty good, but I think the available pitching stats are lacking.

Replace Previous Year's # When There Was No Previous Year - When starting a new league your league will show financials for the previous year when there obviously was no previous year for that league. I think it should simply relabel it predictions for the first year.

Make Personnel Signings News Items in the Manager Portal - When you're waiting to hear back on personnel offers, it's important you get messages as to whether they've accepted your offer or accepted a position elsewhere, so you can offer a contract to someone else. However, the only way you can see those messages now is if you stay on the Transactions Log or Staff Roles screen when otherwise we'd probably wait for a news article or email about it. I've done this, waited to hear back, didn't hear anything, then realized they signed elsewhere and by that point there was nothing but dreck left.

Correctly Label Suspended Games and Show Data Up Until That Point - I had a game that was suspended in the 7th due to bad weather. And now all I can see from the game is just that, from the Scores screen. But it doesn't show what the score was, the box score, game log, or anything else. And on top of it, it's labelled "Game Cancelled/Rescheduled" and now I'm left wondering, is the game going to be continued from where it left off or restarted? Update: It eventually was continued months later, but at the point it was cut short the labelling left me very confused.

Option to Disable First Amateur Draft After Preseason - Whenever I start a new league and get to the first amateur draft, I wonder, what should I do about the first amateur draft? On the one hand I want more young players in the league, but on the other hand it doesn't seem fair to give any teams a step up acquiring a young player that they don't deserve. I'm thinking the best option might be to just cancel the draft, but I don't think there's a way to really do that once you've past the preseason. And yes, there's an option in the league settings to cancel it before the season starts, but I usually forget about it until I get to the draft.

Default First Amateur Draft to Reverse of Opening Draft - The game defaults to creating the same order as it had for the opening draft and there doesn't seem to be any sense in that. Why should the team that got the first overall pick for the entire league also get first overall pick in the fist amateur draft? If anything, I think it should default to the reverse of the opening draft. I also thought about re-ordering it according to the standings order on the day of the draft, but it seems wrong to order it based on only a portion of the season. Others pointed out that they re-order it based on the power rankings and while that's probably better than basing it on standings, it's probably not realistic. Reverse of the opening draft is probably the most realistic.

Add "Watch Replay" and "Highlight Reel" Buttons to Box Score & Game Log - When recapping my team's week I go to my team's schedule screen and open the box scores of any games I thought had something interesting. And it's nice that from the box score you can look at the game log if you want to look at something in more detail. But sometimes the game log isn't detailed enough and you want to then watch the replay. And to do that you have to exit out of those screens, go to the league's Scores screen, find the correct date, the correct game, and click on the watch replay or highlight reel buttons from there. I think we should add them to the box score & game log to cut out all that jumping around.

Display Win Expectancy In-Game - I love the Win Expectancy Chart that shows up in the box scores, but I'd love to have a widget or something in-game that shows the current Win Expectancy and the WPA of the very last play. It'd give you a better idea of the rollercoaster ride as the game is playing out.

Display Leverage Index In-Game - Similar to the above Win Expectancy and WPA, I'd love to see the Leverage Index of the current situation. It would add more drama to the game seeing the Leverage Index getting higher and higher, unless the score differential becomes larger, but in general I think the LI gets higher as a game goes on.

In PT, Add Mass Select Radio Buttons to "Your Card Orders" Page - As it is now, if you want to cancel multiple old buy/sell orders you have to click "Cancel Order", move your mouse to the center, click "Okay", move your mouse back to the right, "Cancel Order", move your mouse back to the center, click "Okay", and on and on for as many as you want. It'd be so much better if we just click on radio buttons to the left of each entry and then click "Cancel Order" once. I've given up at times it's so annoying.

Save Game & Leave Option In-Game - I'd like to save my game in-game and leave (real life happens sometimes), instead of leaving the computer not knowing what might happen. But you can't. Once you're in-game you have to finish it otherwise the game might crash and you'll lose what you've played. For some reason I thought you could do this if you disabled "simulate world in background" option, but when I did I got a "simulate game" option, not a "save and leave" like I expected. Maybe it was once an option? EDIT: I'm confused. I just saw "Save Game and Leave", but usually it's "Simulate" then "Exit". Why the difference? And I swear sometimes when I try to exit, it won't let me, but just now I tried it and it let me. I also tested it with simulate world option disabled and all I saw there was Exit.

Put the Team vs Team Report in the Lg > Reports Menu - To get to the Team vs Team report you currently have to click on the league name, select Reports & Info, select any report, click on the "Select League Report" pull-down, and select Team vs Team. Why don't we make it easier to find by just including it in the Lg > Reports menu? Why force the user into so many steps? It's one of the most interesting reports OOTP has.

Add All-Time Team vs Team Records to Almanac - Self-explanatory and others have requested it too.

Realistic Expansion Cities - If you let the game expand on its own you'll often see it expand to cities that aren't likely to get an expansion team any time soon, if ever. I'd think it'd be better if the game expanded to cities based on their current odds of getting a MLB team. This is obviously for real leagues, not fictional. A previous entry asked for a file that we could enter what cities we want the game to expand to, which could work for real or fictional leagues. Even better, allow for weights to be attached to each city so that you'd often see the game expand to say Nashville or Charlotte and only very rarely to like Honolulu or Wichita.

Realistic Team Nicknames - I started a crowdsourced project where users are giving their recommendations for nicknames based on real cities. It'd be great if the game could have a file that these nicknames could be put into and then when the game expands it could use one of the nicknames from the file associated with the city, instead of some random nickname that likely has nothing to do with that city. The file would obviously be user-editable as well. Maybe include weights for this too.

Last edited by kq76; 11-06-2023 at 06:04 PM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 04:03 PM   #22
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
-Lock Player to Team - I know there's a checkbox to lock a player to a team, but it doesn't work if you're playing "Act As". I'd like it to work with it. The AI keeps releasing this guy I want on my team and it's driving me nuts. He's clearly good enough, better than the AAA dreck the AI brings up, yet they keep releasing him and I keep having to edit the expenses and him back onto the team.

I'd like the Lock features to work regardless of whether or not it's your team, you are "acting as" or if it's an AI-controlled team. It should function to override everything. For example, I don't want to control the Reds, nor do I want to use historical lineups. But the one thing I want to see is Pete Rose batting leadoff. I s/b able to set that by using the Lock feature.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #23
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Possible, Schedule Makeup Games On Shared Off Day Immediately Following Same Series - LGO pointed out to me that OOTP likes to schedule doubleheaders, instead of on a shared off day immediately after the same series, and I confirmed that. I realize there won't always be the opportunity, but it'd be better if they did that as opposed to not.
I have plenty of reference data which can be used to tune major league rescheduling in OOTP to be more realistic. (Minor league rescheduling works differently, and is far simpler than that of the majors.)

Quote:
Correctly Label Suspended Games and Show Data Up Until That Point - I had a game that was suspended in the 7th due to bad weather. And now all I can see from the game is just that, from the Scores screen. But it doesn't show what the score was, the box score, game log, or anything else. And on top of it, it's labelled "Game Cancelled/Rescheduled" and now I'm left wondering, is the game going to be continued from where it left off or restarted? Update: It eventually was continued months later, but at the point it was cut short the labelling left me very confused.
I'd go further and say remove suspended games entirely, especially if rescheduling of postponed games is improved. Firstly, suspended games are rare in the majors, and secondly, they open up a plethora of statistical oddities since in real life all stats from a suspended game are attributed to the date the game was started, not completed. (Last I checked OOTP didn't handle the stats that way.)

Quote:
Realistic Expansion Cities - If you let the game expand on its own you'll often see it expand to cities that aren't likely to get an expansion team any time soon, if ever. I'd think it'd be better if the game expanded to cities based on their current odds of getting a MLB team. This is obviously for real leagues, not fictional.
That reminds me, I should dust off my comprehensive historical U.S. city economic ranking system and start working on it again. Then for every year from 1870 through now you'd have a ranking of each U.S. city in terms of its economic capacity for that year.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 03:51 AM   #24
kq76
Global Moderator

I just finished a postseason and am now in the offseason so those are going to be the focus of this batch.

Team Comparison Screen - I already have a thread detailing this, but I'd love to have a team comparison screen similar to the player comparison screen. It would come in especially handy when previewing postseason matchups!

Label Exhibition Games Somehow - Other than by exporting the CVSs and looking at them (in games.csv, game_type = 1), I don't see any way that exhibition games are labelled. They're not labelled that in the game logs, box scores, or highlight reel. When you're playing them out you will see an indication in the first line of the play by play, but it doesn't appear that replays can be saved of exhibition games so you can't later see an indictation via a replay.

Include Regular Season Record for Pitchers in "Playoff Coverage" Screen - Currently it only lists their postseason record, but I find that rather meaningless since at the beginning everyone starts at 0-0 and even if they have a game or 2 under their belts in PS, it's still a terrible sample size. If you really want the PS record there, then just put their RS record before it like (16-12, 1-0).

Postseason Series MVP & Full Postseason MVP - I love that we have player of the game awards, but I think it'd be great to have postseason MVPs for both individual series and the full postseason.

Personal Catchers - I've never really cared that much whether this got implemented or not (I think it's more of a personality quirk than anything and while that's cool and all, it's not that important), but... I currently find myself in a situation where I have one catcher who is maybe the best defensive catcher in the league, but his bat really isn't that great, while my other catcher has a pretty decent bat, but he only has decent catching ability. And at first I was just rolling with the defense first guy, but then I switched to the offense first guy when our offense began to sputter. And now, I find myself deciding to start the defense first guy when my not so great SPs start (kind of like how knuckleballers often had a personal catcher) while going with the bat first guy when my better SPs are starting. So I find it would actually be kind of nice to assign a personal catcher.

Different Stances and Windups - Syd has a thread on this, but I agree, having some variation in the stances and windups would be nice.

Bench Coach Advice In-Game - Replay Dugout had the idea and I really like it!

Add Catcher Framing Runs to Year End Award Stats - Framing Runs might be the most important stat for catchers now and it's not among the many stats listed for catchers on year end awards screen.

MiL Personnel Offers & Signings Need to Show Up In Inbox & Current Offers - When you offer personnel minor league contracts, they don't show up in your minor league team's staff roles screen under current offers which is where I think they should show up. And when they do sign, they don't show up in your manager's office inbox widget which is probably most people's home screen during the offseason and where they probably wait for important messages. Instead, you have to know to visit, and keep visiting, the league's personnel pending offers screen to see updates or your minor league team's transactions log. Neither of these screens are easy to get to unless you create a bookmark to them and neither are probably the first place one would look to see these offers and signings. I really think they should show up in your manager's office and your minor league team's staff screen as those are the two places you'd probably look and wait to see news from. And I checked, I do have all organization news turned on.

Add Trade Availability to Views & Filters - I don't believe there's anywhere that you can actually see who is on your untouchables list. I'd like the ability to confirm that quickly without clicking on player by player and looking at their Contract screen.

Add Sort and Filter to Pending Trade Offers - I'm receiving so many trade offers, but the offers are seemingly ordered randomly and I can't filter out the rejected offers. Every time I look at the screen I have to rescan every single one of them because I can't order or filter them.

Add More Players to Top Prospects and Top Players Widgets - On the Meet the Team the widgets for the top players only lists 3 each. I wish it was like the Staff widget and had a scroll bar to show more than 3. I think each list should be at least 5, maybe 9.

Last edited by kq76; 07-27-2024 at 07:55 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote