Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP 25 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 25 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 25th Anniversary Edition of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB, the MLBPA, KBO and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Old 07-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #1
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/2 (3)
Why Is He DH?

In my 1901 universe I have a pitcher who is set as a DH. What could be making him different from every other starting pitcher in the league that he's not just set as a SP? He's second in his team's pitching rotation, so I don't know why he's being singled out. I'm tempted to set him to SP, but I don't want that to screw up anything with his playing.
Attached Images
Baby Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 02:25 PM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

2-way player ability, most likely.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 03:30 PM   #3
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
2-way player ability, most likely.
But I can't imagine that in 1901 there were pitchers that hit without being in the lineup. There was no such concept as DH in 1901.
Old 07-26-2024, 04:19 PM   #4
Reed
Hall Of Famer

Do you by chance have DH enabled? Any non pitchers DHing?
Old 07-26-2024, 04:34 PM   #5
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Do you by chance have DH enabled?
I'm sure I have it enabled in the settings somewhere so that it comes into play when historically appropriate (unless the game doesn't know that is).

Quote:
Any non pitchers DHing?
I don't think I know how to see all players by position in the league. Too many screens, too much data.
Old 07-26-2024, 04:59 PM   #6
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

If he's listed as a DH but the league doesn't have that feature it sounds like an error that won't affect play.

rudel,dietrich is right

1967 World Series A's and Pirates - A Short Story in several parts
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #7
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
If he's listed as a DH but the league doesn't have that feature it sounds like an error that won't affect play.
I agree. He's definitely being used as a starting pitcher. I just want to be sure that nothing will get wacky if I force him into the SP role. The game may just change him back to DH anyway.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:27 PM   #8
Reed
Hall Of Famer

From an older manual. The game gives you the option to use it. Sounds like if you have it enabled, then your league will use it regardless of historical year. Some users like having the DH even if not historically accurate, and some hate it and will leave it off. In game it is listed under the rules tab.

Designated Hitter Rule
If the Designated Hitter Rule box is selected, then the selected subleague will use the designated hitter rule. This rule allows teams to have a player other than the pitcher take a place in the batting order, resulting in greater offensive output. In leagues that use the designated hitter rule, pitchers do not bat.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:27 PM   #9
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Quote:
From an older manual. The game gives you the option to use it. Sounds like if you have it enabled, then your league will use it regardless of historical year. Some users like having the DH even if not historically accurate, and some hate it and will leave it off. In game it is listed under the rules tab.

Designated Hitter Rule
If the Designated Hitter Rule box is selected, then the selected subleague will use the designated hitter rule. This rule allows teams to have a player other than the pitcher take a place in the batting order, resulting in greater offensive output. In leagues that use the designated hitter rule, pitchers do not bat.
This doesn't make any sense because he's not performing the role of a DH. He's a starting pitcher who is batting in his normal place in the lineup, just like every other SP in the league. I fail to see why the game has made him a DH when he's pitched 135.2 innings in the current season.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:33 PM   #10
liberty-ca
Minors (Single A)

Is there anything interesting / unusual shown on his game strategy tab?
liberty-ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 09:16 PM   #11
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty-ca View Post
Is there anything interesting / unusual shown on his game strategy tab?
Not that I see, other than that he has a Set to SP button where other pitchers have a Set to DH button. Not sure why you'd ever want to set a pitcher as a DH, though.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:55 AM   #12
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Designated Hitter Rule

Offensive output isn't greater. The LTMs hammer the league into historical output regardless of the talent in the batting order,

"They don't know how the game works.".

rudel,dietrich is right

Old 07-27-2024, 11:59 AM   #13
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Offensive output isn't greater. The LTMs hammer the league into historical output regardless of the talent in the batting order,

"They don't know how the game works.".
What's an LTM?

The game is drunk. The only way you can consider this guy a designated hitter is that he's designated to hit when his turn at bat comes during each game he's pitching, which means every player is a designated hitter. I'm just going to force him into an SP role and see what the game does.
Old 07-27-2024, 01:07 PM   #14
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

LTM is League Totals Modifier.

The short story is it runs tests on the league before the season and adjusts the output so that the totals at the end of the season for runs, SBs, HRs etc. are as close as possible to the historical totals. This means adding a DH to a league that historically didn't have one doesn't increase the league's offense.

rudel,dietrich is right