Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

OOTP FaceTool

OOTB FaceTool
What is It?
OOTP FaceTool is an add-on utility for OOTPBM2006 that adds computer generated player photos to fictional players in your OOTP universe. The generated photos are appropriate to the player’s place of birth, and wear a team-specific uniform.

Are there any important legal disclaimers you should put in this thread before moving on to real questions?
Absolutely. First, OOTP FaceTool is not made by, endorsed by or affiliated with Out of the Park, Sports Interactive, Sega, or Markus Heinsohn. Second, you are not allowed to redistribute this program without my consent, and under no circumstances can this software or its generated content be sold or used commercially. Ever. Not so much because I care, but because doing so would violate any number of legal copyrights and I don’t want to be the one responsible for that.

What stage of development is the utility in?
Alpha. There is still a lot of work to be done before this utility is ready for the big show. (See Project Roadmap)

How will the uniforms work? Can I create custom uniforms for the teams in my league?
Yes you can. If you do not specify a custom uniform template for a team, the players on that team will get a “generic” uniform based on the team colours and logo used in the game. However, if you are adventurous, you can create custom uniforms and then attach them to specific teams. For players who are unsigned, they will either retain an old uniform (from the last team they played for) or else get a random generic one (for example, if they are new draftees.) (See Creating Uniform Templates… as soon as I make it.)

Will the program erase my existing photos?
No. The first time you run the utility on a specific league, it will make a list of your existing player photos and will not overwrite those files. For example, if you are using a real MLB setup with player photos, you can use this program to create photos only for new draftees without erasing your favourite Roy Halladay pic.

How do I download it?
As I said, it’s not quite done yet, but once it is I will make it available to the public. If there is anyone who would like to host the installer file for downloading, please let me know.

How do I use it?
Again, I’m still figuring that out. As soon as it is complete, I will write up some documentation, including how to make your own custom uniform templates.

When will it be done?
Patience, grasshopper. I am doing this around a full-time job, studying for the LSAT, and a bunch of other things. I'll be as quick as I can, but I am not a professional programmer, so things go more slowly as I struggle through obvious pitfalls.

How did you get the idea for this program?
Well, it came about after the efforts of many dedicated OOTPers in making fictional player photos manually. I decided that there must be a better way. So, now I’m figuring out what that is. However, a huge debt is owed to the pioneers of OOTP Photo Making.

Bags of heads, templates, and other work of some the aforementioned pioneers: http://newrepublic.silvergriffin.com/ootptools.html

This is sort of the thread that contains the genesis of the utility: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=116862

Who are you and why do you have a picture of the Video Professor guy in your avatar?
My name is Devin, and I’m a philosophy student at the University of Western Ontario (and applying for law school in the fall.) I’ve been playing OOTP since about version 4. The guy in my avatar is Jack Layton, the glorious leader of Canada’s New Democratic Party.

Project Roadmap
This is my plan for how I am going to make this project happen.
Version 0.1 [DONE]
Basic ability to combine bitmaps using a transparent colour

Version 0.2 [ETA: Next Couple Weeks]
Ability to generate mass photos from random templates and name them numerically (with about 100 or so photos just to get started)

Version 0.3 [ETA: Soon after I get my hands on an SQL dump]
Ability to read OOTP SQL data for names, clubs, place of origin, team colours, find team logo file; ability to auto-create a uniform template for each team using its colours and logo

Version 0.4 [ETA: Late June (would be earlier, but I write the LSAT June 12)]
Ability to create player photos for an entire major league, using auto-created uniform templates appropriate to the player's club, and ethnicity appropriate to the player's place of origin; ability to save created photos as player's name or as unique ID (user's preference)

Version 0.5 [ETA: Hard to say...]
Ability to "scan" a league for real photos (as in the case of an actual MLB setup,) and to red-flag those photos so that they do not get replaced by the program; ability to scan the league for players who have changed teams (ie by being traded, signed, drafted, whatever,) and update that player's photo by changing the uniform while preserving his face and hair.

Version 0.6
Ability to handle custom uniform templates, while using auto-created ones by default if no custom uniform is specified; ability to create photos for all players (incl minor leagues); ability to install custom uniforms, accessories, faces, etc.; a single-photo editing mode to tweak an existing photo; coming packed with 1,000 or so faces; user options for how to handle minor league uniforms (ie if no custom uniform is specified, do you use the major league affiliate's uniform or a generic one using the minor league club's colours)

Version 1.0
Archiving of past photos (ie, backup old photos each time a new one is created); ability to revert to a past photo and "lock" it from further updates (ie so that retired players can appear in the uniform of the team that they played the bulk of their career for, not just their last team [this is assuming that retired players have photos in the game]); multiple styles of auto-created uniforms; ability to assign team-specific backgrounds (ie press conference with the logo inthe background); possibly a similar utility for non-playing staff (coaches, scouts, etc.) (assuming they have photos in the game); coming packed with (hopefully) 10,000 faces, tons of accessories and hairstyles, backgrounds, an MLB uniform set, and any other goodies I or someone else makes; more user-defined settings (ie generate all players, or only major leagues, or only above AA, or only specific teams...); ability to handle multiple games; anything else that I can think of and reasonably accomplish between now and then

Beyond 1.0:
Open to suggestions and ideas. I had though of possibly having multiple poses, although this seems to get unreasonably complicated, as you need specific accessory, uniform, hair, background set for each pose. Another idea is an in-application uniform template designer (possibly using some code from an open-source image editing program). Other ideas? Let me know. Bear in mind that it will be a small miracle if I actually make it to version 1.0
Layton is my Homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

I know I"ll be subscribign to this

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Kyros
All Star Reserve

This sounds very interesting. I love this community.

I have one question, lets say I want to use real players faces instead of facegen ones, will you utility put uniforms and caps on these to or do the player images have to be facegen ones? I hope I am making sense here.
Kyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

the only thing I can say is WOW!! An abitious project to say the least, but a great one at that. Thank you for your hard work in advance. I know this community will truly appriciate a utility like this.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
CBLCardinals
OOTP Roster Team

wow this would be a HUGE tool once completed!

I certainly appreciate you and your efforts - Please keep us updated on the project status.

CBLCardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

This would be great...Good Luck!
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
SSG Troyer
All Star Starter

Count me in for this. Good luck and God Speed ...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
diamond2377
Minors (Single A)

Because of this Layton now qualifies as my best friend. This is the one aspect I felt I couldn't do without. I once spent a whole day at work searching for face generator programs. But with all that said, I liked him better when I thought he was a middle aged professor(just kidding).

diamond2377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
rocknfire7
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
Awesome !! Looks like the workings of a great utility!
rocknfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
Hotblack Desiato
Major Leagues

As a guy who runs three online leagues, all fictional, this could possibly be the greatest mod for me personally since catobase. I would offer to help but don't know what I can really bring, though I will certainly be watching this thread and will lend a hand wherever I can. Huge preemptive thanks on behalf of all the fictional commishes out there.
Hotblack Desiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Deft
All Star Starter

I replied to the other post regarding a starting pose-

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...=116862&page=2
Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato
As a guy who runs three online leagues, all fictional, this could possibly be the greatest mod for me personally since catobase. I would offer to help but don't know what I can really bring, though I will certainly be watching this thread and will lend a hand wherever I can. Huge preemptive thanks on behalf of all the fictional commishes out there.
Seconded.

And not just commishes, but anyone who plays fictional and wants more immersion in their leagues. Player faces make a huge difference.

Very much looking forward to how this turns out. KUTGW!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros

I have one question, lets say I want to use real players faces instead of facegen ones, will you utility put uniforms and caps on these to or do the player images have to be facegen ones? I hope I am making sense here.
That does make sense. Unfortunately, in order to update the uniforms of actual players, you would need an actual photo of that player that has the face in exactly the right position, edit out the backroung, etc, etc, etc. So unfortunately, I don't think that this will be possible. What the utility will do is leave alone any actual player photos that you already have in an MLB league... but you'll be stuck with that same photo.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
Layton is my Homeboy
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft
I replied to the other post regarding a starting pose-

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...=116862&page=2
Deft, I really like the side-facing template a lot. I think that may be what I end up going with. Your expertise and artistic skills in this area will be an invaluable asset.

Right now, I'm working on reading the SQL dump into the program and using that to create a list of players for whom to create photos. Once I've got that done, I'm going to move into the actual photo generation module, at which point I will need to finalize dimensions and specs for templates.

I appreciate any assistance you are willing to provide, as this is a huge undertaking for me. But in the end, hopefully we'll have a tool that will make all of our fictional leagues come alive.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
attackemu
All Star Reserve

Really looking forward to this!

-ihatenames
attackemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackemu
Really looking forward to this!

""

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #17
Deft
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros

Alienk(sp?) did start making MLB facegen faces. I don't know how far he progressed but I know he made a few. Jason Schmidt was one.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #18
pat
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alienk(sp?) did start making MLB facegen faces. I don't know how far he progressed but I know he made a few. Jason Schmidt was one.
Are you sure Brad it's alinkens? I thought it was me.

But that project has stalled.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=108543

Is this the Schmidt you're talking about?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=107536

Previous Leagues - Time Warp Baseball / International Federation of Baseball / Professional Baseball Replay League / No Pepper Baseball League / MLB Pro

Current OOTP 24 Leagues - Sim Sports Gaming - (2016-Present) Washington Nationals (2016-2022) *2017 Champions
Oakland Athletics (2023-Present)
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #19
Deft
All Star Starter

Sorry, Pat. Your correct.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #20
pat
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, Pat. Your correct.
It's all good Brad. Without you, it'll never give me an idea.

Previous Leagues - Time Warp Baseball / International Federation of Baseball / Professional Baseball Replay League / No Pepper Baseball League / MLB Pro

Current OOTP 24 Leagues - Sim Sports Gaming - (2016-Present) Washington Nationals (2016-2022) *2017 Champions
Oakland Athletics (2023-Present)
pat is offline   Reply With Quote