Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 10-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Random Fighter Generator News, Links

EDIT (September 29, 2006): Just to keep the top post current, remember that v4.0 and v4.1 are going to be the last RFG versions. Zane and I are currently unable to get past our problem, which you can see below, to create v5.0.

If you have TBCB 1, download v4.0. If you have TBCB 2, download v4.1.

Original message follows...

Hey all...

First, I'd like to thank Javier for getting that message out. I've been trying to log onto the boards this week, but between the new software and other computer problems, I've been having issues.

Okay, here's the deal... right now, v4.0 and v4.1 (the last releases) are the latest ones. If you have TBCB2, get v4.1. If you have TBCB1, get v4.0. Just to note, v4.0 will be the last version released for TBCB1.

Now, Zane and I are working on RFG v5.0. We've run into a snag, which we've been in contact with Andreas about, but we still haven't quite solved. The reason we're taking so long is because in v5.0, it will have the output method of putting the boxer files directly into TBDX format. Combined with the bulk importing of TBCB2, you can very quickly get 100 or more fighters in your universe.

The only problem you may have is that we've decided not to worry about a random name generator quite yet. Basically, we want to focus on one major new feature, not two. So you'll still have to manually enter names once we're done, but at least you'll no longer have to manually enter anything else.

We have no timetable for getting v5.0 out, as it all hinges if/when we can get around our snag. Literally, it's the only thing stopping us from completing this version. Once we clear it, we'll have v5.0 out pronto.

Finally, here again are the files to v4.0 and v4.1 in case you lost them... but no one would ever lose them, would they? *wink*
Attached Files
File Type: zip tbcbrfg-4_0.zip (90.5 KB, 191 views)
File Type: zip tbcbrfg-4_1.zip (90.8 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by PyroFalkon; 09-29-2006 at 09:32 PM.
PyroFalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
diablo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Hey, Pyro,

Thanks! I downloaded version 4.1 quckly, and generated a short report (5 fighters) to test it out.

It works like a charm!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
erickdamac
All Star Starter

Thanked 1x in 1 post
good news cant wait til its in the tbx format.
erickdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 166x in 122 posts
i cant wait for V5
javier_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

Thanked 16x in 13 posts
Any news?
Boozie1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
In short... Zane and I have been REAL lazy. And Zane's been forgetful.

This is the news as best as I can tell you all now... we WILL be looking at the code Andreas sent us to try to figure out how to get over our problem. And... I can probably tell you more next week. That's about it for now, though.

Sorry I haven't been more forthright in the RFG news, guys. I really did intend to give more regular updates, but then I also intended this to be done already.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Thanked 1x in 1 post
Get to work. I want a christmas present
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 AM   #8
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Duly noted, my friend.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Thanked 1x in 1 post
You missed Christmas. How about Easter?
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Tomato Can
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 54x in 16 posts
I would love to see this revived, especially if it could import them into the game or atleast make them the right file to import from the "exchange" folder!
Tomato Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #11
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Wow, it's been way too long since I've been here. 6 months since my last update? Where the heck has time gone?

All right, here's the deal... Zane and I were unable to get around our snag, and now he's lost complete interest in the project. I suppose I'll try talking him into again (maybe this break has revived his spirit), but I know him... in short? Don't count on it.

I apologize profusely for the lack of v5.0. That one major feature, to covert the RFG's output into TBDX files, simply isn't happening. Beyond that, no one has complained about the balance the RFG seems to create, so I'll take that as a win. In other words, I don't think at this moment there's anymore tweaking that needs to be done.

If I manage to convince Zane to come back and work on the thing, you can be sure I'll have an update here.

To everyone... thanks for the support and the downloads. It really does mean a lot to me.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Okay guys, here's the deal... I talked to Zane to try to figure out where we were with the RFG, and the outlook isn't good. Without revealing too much of our source codes, I'll try to explain the problem.

Simply put: every fighter that is created in the game gets a specific ID number, called a GUID. There are obviously lines of code that tell the program to grab a GUID and assign it to that particular fighter. You can view the ID yourself of any fighter; it's the number that is housed in brackets like {these}.

Okay, here's the problem... the langauges of the Random Fighter Generator and the game itself are different. The language TBCB2 is programmed in has a built-in tool to grab GUIDs; the language the RFG is programmed in does not. (I'm oversimplifying here for brevity.) In order to assign GUIDs to fighters the RFG creates, Zane and I would have to write a tool to do so. That is not only beyond our expertise, but also beyond our desire.

So, in short: unless there's a way to use TBDX files without GUIDs without making something crash or break, it ain't happening. This really upsets me, as I really wanted to get v5 out before I died, but I don't think it will be possible.

Now, onto some happier news. Zane and I are planning a second utility to go along with the RFG, a simple thing that will be somewhat appreciated by everyone, I think. I'll talk more about it later, as it develops. The point is, we're not just sitting on our hands here; we ARE planning on continuing to give you guys a few tools to play with to make fictional universes easy to make.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 AM   #13
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

we cant wait to see more news
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
bear
Global Moderator

Thanked 6,544x in 5,124 posts
Bump

bear
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
I still want a sticky for this, but that's because I'm an arrogant jerk.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Thanked 2,767x in 2,175 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroFalkon
I still want a sticky for this, but that's because I'm an arrogant jerk.
I'll do no such thing for the likes of you.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Meanie. See if I ever be YOUR cut man, Chris.

And, uh, thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 PM   #18
mh2365
Banned

Thanked 5x in 5 posts
Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Absolutely should be stickied. Quality program just too bad you could never figure out how to make it output a title bout file though
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
PyroFalkon
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Yeah. One of these days, I need to learn the language which TBCB was programmed in (it's superior to what Zane and I used for the RFG), and who knows? Maybe a version 5 will appear sometime in the future.

Right now, believe it or not, we ARE working on a new utility. It should be out before the end of this year.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

any new, info of the new utilty?