Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 05:08 PM   #21
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

It just seems like people with money tend to do less time. And no, I didn't just figure this out. But it still surprises me when it happens.

That one guy, WR Ruggs, driving under the influence at over 150mph kills someone and gets 3 years. I've seen regular people get several months jail time for a first offense DWI with no injury or damage to property.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:14 AM   #22
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Andy Russell, former Steeler, has passed. RIP
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Old 03-04-2024, 02:00 PM   #23
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

How do human beings get this big?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Old 03-04-2024, 05:02 PM   #24
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Russell Wilson informed he will be released. $85M cap hit.

How bad did things get to the point they are willing to pay $85M for you not to play for them, and potentially against them?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 03-04-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:19 PM   #25
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I'm so glad that Seattle was on the right side of one of the worst trades of all time for once(Scottie Pippen, Derek Lowe/Jason Veritek, David Segui, Ken Griffey Jr, Jamal Adams, etc)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:53 PM   #26
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Junior wanted out, we screwed the pooch by trying to trade him to the Mets after he said in no uncertain terms that he would not play in New York City, and we did at least get Cammy back for him (which, Jr then proceeded to almost immediately be not that good with the Reds as well). Otherwise, yeah, those are some bad ones and you missed Danny Tartabull for Mike Kingery and Scott Bankhead, and Spike Owen/Dave Henderson for Rey Quinones.

On the flip side... Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE DOIN for that matter even though Kelenic didn't work out, dumping Robinson Cano on the Mets was sheer genius.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 03-04-2024, 09:19 PM   #27
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I'm so glad that Seattle was on the right side of one of the worst trades of all time for once(Scottie Pippen, Derek Lowe/Jason Veritek, David Segui, Ken Griffey Jr, Jamal Adams, etc)
The initial trade wasn't a bad idea. It just ended up bad. Where Denver screwed the pooch was in renegotiating his contract. Wilson had two years left on his contract. They should have let him play one year on his current contract and they wouldn't have this 85M dead cap right now.

I realize this was probably a condition to his trade, but no team should do that after giving up that much to get him in the first place. Even the Cowboys ownership isn't that stupid anymore. But close to it.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:42 PM   #28
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post

How bad did things get to the point they are willing to pay $85M for you not to play for them, and potentially against them?
This is an interesting situation. If Wilson decides to play next year, he'll probably be playing for league minimum in 2024. That's because Denver owes him 39M.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:58 PM   #29
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

There's no probably about it. The way it's structured and the way guarantees/cap cuts work, if Russ takes a $10M deal from the new place, Denver has to pay $10M less to him this year. I see zero reason, less than none, that he'd ever want to give them any kind of discount whatsoever. The only scenario I can think of where he might is if he got a multi-year deal and nobody is giving a 35 year old guy who a lot of people think is washed the bag again.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM   #30
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
There's no probably about it. The way it's structured and the way guarantees/cap cuts work, if Russ takes a $10M deal from the new place, Denver has to pay $10M less to him this year. I see zero reason, less than none, that he'd ever want to give them any kind of discount whatsoever. The only scenario I can think of where he might is if he got a multi-year deal and nobody is giving a 35 year old guy who a lot of people think is washed the bag again.
You're spot on with this. But I can see a team that needs a QB taking advantage of this. Just for 1 year. Just think of a team with a pretty good roster that is not in cap trouble that is missing a QB. Russ is not what he used to be, but he's not garbage. They could try to stack the deck for 1 season since hardly anything is going towards a QB.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:27 PM   #31
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post

I think that they wouldn't mind Wilson playing against them, at this point. The dude was 11-27 as a starter for them.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:17 PM   #32
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Frostbite amputations linked to Mia @ KC playoff game.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-11-2024, 03:05 PM   #33
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Russell Wilson to the Steelers

Kirk Cousins to the Falcons.

Saquon to the Eagles

Packers get Josh Jacobs
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-11-2024, 03:10 PM   #34
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Tony Pollard to the Titans
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-11-2024, 07:16 PM   #35
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Panthers trade Brian Burns to Giants for 2nd & 5th rd picks.

Can I remind everyone that Carolina was offered 2 1st rounders for Burns a couple seasons back?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-11-2024, 09:17 PM   #36
pilight
All Star Starter

With Cousins the Falcons might make the playoffs
Old 03-11-2024, 10:51 PM   #37
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

I was hesitant to close the book on the David Tepper-era Panthers so quickly but you were 100% right on that, Cobra. In a vacuum the return for Burns isn't horrible given the associated cost of his new contract, but waiting so long to pull the trigger rather than get 2 1sts, and then giving Robert Hunt a $100 million deal and Damien Lewis (not a lot of us Damiens out there) $53 million has this offseason feeling like an F- for the Panthers so far. This is 2000s Browns/2010s Jags and Jets level ineptitude.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:00 PM   #38
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

My new take on the modern NFL:

There are two kinds of rebuilds: those that take a year and those that failed.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM   #39
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
My new take on the modern NFL:

There are two kinds of rebuilds: those that take a year and those that failed.
You know, you might be right.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-12-2024, 05:48 AM   #40
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
I was hesitant to close the book on the David Tepper-era Panthers so quickly but you were 100% right on that, Cobra. In a vacuum the return for Burns isn't horrible given the associated cost of his new contract, but waiting so long to pull the trigger rather than get 2 1sts, and then giving Robert Hunt a $100 million deal and Damien Lewis (not a lot of us Damiens out there) $53 million has this offseason feeling like an F- for the Panthers so far. This is 2000s Browns/2010s Jags and Jets level ineptitude.
The Panthers keep trying to fix past mistakes. At this point, I wouldn't commit to paying Burns a ton of $. I give the Panthers credit for not doubling down on their mistake from 2 years ago. A lot of people would think they would "have" to resign Burns because of what they turned down before. I don't think you make a bad decision in order to make your other bad decision look better. Take your L.

However, the commitment to the guards at the expense of dropping so many from the D (who wasn't that bad last year) might be doubling down on a different mistake. Namely, trading for Bryce Young last year instead of waiting for what everyone said would be a better crop of QB's this year.

But I get the need to find a way to salvage something from that error. I've maintained we really don't know what the Panthers have in BY because everything around him sucked. He had little time to make anything but one pre snap read. And the line was a huge cause. Guys came right up the middle w/little resistance. Not to mention the run game was pitiful. So I see why they might try & give BY every chance to work out.

Problem is they still want to play Ekwonu @ LT, another mistake. I felt they should salvage him by moving him to guard. He looks like a bust as a long time blind side protector.

Panthers mission now is to find BY some weapons. Particularly some players who can get some open space. And find a running game that can take some pressure off of BY & keep him from having to convert 3rd & 8's w/protection that doesn't provide him enough time to scan the field for targets that can't beat coverage.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Closed Thread