Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
WindyCityFlyerr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is it possible to make a league where teams can only sign players from their state?

I want to start a 50 team league. Each state has their own team. They will only be able to sign players from their state. No drafting, trading, etc.

Is this possible at all?
WindyCityFlyerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

You can set up a fictional league so that when you add fictional players, it only creates them in the states you’ve gone in and manually assigned. I *believe* there is now also an option to have a “regional draft” after your regular one (well, in theory; I believe that exact feature is bugged right now and we’re waiting for a fix) and you may be able to draft players by state “regions”, but short of preventing the AI from signing players, period (which is certainly an option) I don’t believe you can tell it to only sign guys from an individual state.

An alternative way to set this up is to modify the world.xml file to make each state into its very own “nation”. At that point you could then assign each team a nation “state” and set “foreign players” to 0. If you want to use historical players you’d still need to manually assign them to each nation “state” (or edit the players file programmatically, which is probably what I’d do, but I write code for a living and some people find that a larger hurdle than hand editing every single line of a file) but I am 100% positive that works for real nations and fictional players.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
WindyCityFlyerr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I don't know much about all that stuff, wouldn't know how to modify the world.xml file, and definitely don't know how to edit them programmatically. Maybe I am in over my head here. lmao
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

You can always take the time to curate your league so that you run every team, make every transaction, etc., of course.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 04-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

I just did a quick test to make sure it works, here's how to do it...

In advanced league setup on the rules page change the setting to not allow foreign players and have it based on team nationality.

Before your inaugural draft go into each team's settings page and set their Region to the state you want.

Run your inaugural draft and check team rosters. You should see that teams will only have players from their state. However, you'll also likely have many teams that are short on players so you'll have to manually fill them with fictional players.

Last edited by Ktulu; 04-13-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #6
WindyCityFlyerr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
I just did a quick test to make sure it works, here's how to do it...

In advanced league setup on the rules page change the setting to not allow foreign players and have it based on team nationality.

Before your inaugural draft go into each team's settings page and set their Region to the state you want.

Run your inaugural draft and check team rosters. You should see that teams will only have players from their state. However, you'll also likely have many teams that are short on players so you'll have to manually fill them with fictional players.

I will try this out, thank you!
Old 01-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #7
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

And when you fill with fictional players, I don't think they are from the correct states. At least that was my experience in past versions (ootp 18 and older). I would have to keep adding fictional players (or edit their states) to get the players I needed, then delete the rest, so the other teams couldn't improve based on all the new players created.

It was quite a pain. Maybe OOTP 22 is better at this, I haven't installed yet.
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #8
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxvain View Post
And when you fill with fictional players, I don't think they are from the correct states. At least that was my experience in past versions (ootp 18 and older). I would have to keep adding fictional players (or edit their states) to get the players I needed, then delete the rest, so the other teams couldn't improve based on all the new players created.

It was quite a pain. Maybe OOTP 22 is better at this, I haven't installed yet.
In years past IIRC the first fill-in you did didn't work but subsequent ones did. I haven't tried that with 22 so I don't know if that's still the existing bug or not.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:50 PM   #9
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
In years past IIRC the first fill-in you did didn't work but subsequent ones did. I haven't tried that with 22 so I don't know if that's still the existing bug or not.
Name:  setting.png
Views: 529
Size:  23.9 KB

If you choose yes when this pops up (and if your region is set properly at the team level) it works like a charm in 22.

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote