Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 24 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2023 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB, the MLBPA and the KBO.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Opening Day - MLB games on average, 26 minutes shorter

Some good news from opening day! I watched the Phillies of course, and certainly enjoyed the pace of the game. Watched some of the Yankees/Giants game earlier, and things seemed to go smoothly.

Late game between the Padres and Rockies where you had Blake Snell moving at his usual turtle pace, throwing 70 pitches through three innings, eventually a 7-2 win by the Rockies, game took 2 hours, 56 minutes, still 10 minutes shorter than the average game last year.

Quickest game was Mariners beating the Guardians, 3-0, game took 2 hours, 14 minutes.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:29 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

I like this trend. Watching a few games, I feel they could speed it up even more. Like 3 seconds less per pitch.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

The Jays/Cards game certainly didn't help the average either.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
doubles
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
The Jays/Cards game certainly didn't help the average either.
The announcers touched on this on the broadcast but could you imagine how long a game with 19 runs and 34 hits would have taken with the old rules? You'd be looking at a four hour game at the very least.

I wish I still had Stathead so I could look up comparable game lengths to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges like the SEA-CLE game.
doubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:09 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

watch in the next few years the commercials will be 30 seconds longer and we be back AGAIN to complaining about game length... this isnt the first time
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:13 PM   #6
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
watch in the next few years the commercials will be 30 seconds longer and we be back AGAIN to complaining about game length... this isnt the first time
Even if that is the case, this has eliminated a bunch of dead time within the innings.

Also, there is currently a clock for between innings...so adding commercial time would require an adjustment to that rule to extend it (unless the broadcasts plan on missing action).
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:15 PM   #7
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Why would I want a baseball game to go by faster?
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:19 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
So Rick Sutcliffe has less time to talk and therefore less time to make each and everyone of us a little dumber for having heard it.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:27 PM   #9
zappa1
All Star Starter

Pure propaganda. That's the big thing today. First off no mention of the 5 games that went over 3 hours. That's how propaganda works you only mention certain parts. Learn to read a box score. That would help plenty. 15 games played yesterday for a total of 2,664 minutes. Do the math not that fuzzy one but the real one. Comes to 177.6 minutes a game. That's 2 hours 57.6 minutes a game. Last year's average was 3:05 a game. Just like I said in an earlier post that you would be lucky to save ten minutes a game. Common sense people. Check every box score and do the math yourself. I stand by what I say that this is not necessary.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
MikeG719
Minors (Double A)

Most necessary change baseball has made in a long time. The game had become unwatchable. People saying they're changing the game haven't realized how out of hand and bad the pace has gotten. Go watch a game from the early/mid 90's and tell me its the same as a game last year.

Love all the rule changes.
MikeG719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:45 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubles View Post
The announcers touched on this on the broadcast but could you imagine how long a game with 19 runs and 34 hits would have taken with the old rules? You'd be looking at a four hour game at the very least.

I wish I still had Stathead so I could look up comparable game lengths to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges like the SEA-CLE game.
Yeah. That's always the discussion "Length of Game" is mostly just a proxy for "Length of time between action". That Jays game was basically all action all the time. It was still almost 4 hours if my math is right, but yeah, it would have easily been 4.5 under the old rules.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
Dr Naysay
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Watching Karinchuk in the Ms game yesterday not get to touzle his hair for half a minute between pitches made me feel warm inside. The same goes for Alonso looking totally dumbfounded whilst he slowly strolled back to 1st base trying to game the clock and being put in his place.
Dr Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:02 PM   #13
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

I watched the Orioles run wild against my Sox. Once the league stabilizes, I look forward to threads about where the Stolen Base base modifiers can be found! Have not checked the other games but I felt for Reese McGuire.

Just my Facegen Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi..._Pack.zip/file
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:24 PM   #14
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

There were a few times on the M's broadcast where they took a little break between at-bats to try and talk up buying tickets or what have you and they came back too late for the first pitch. Obviously the announcers are going to have to learn how to deal with the new time constraints but that's part of the charm to me: one of the upsides of pitching duels in the past was that they were in and out very quickly and it's nice to see that that is now once again the case.

Whatever else happens with the new rules, I really really hope they continue to enforce this because it's a great new addition.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:46 PM   #15
MikeG719
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah. That's always the discussion "Length of Game" is mostly just a proxy for "Length of time between action". That Jays game was basically all action all the time. It was still almost 4 hours if my math is right, but yeah, it would have easily been 4.5 under the old rules.
3:38

But your point is the correct one. I watched that game and it never lagged. The pace is great now. No time to look down at your phone or get caught up in something else. Really brought my love back for the sport.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:01 PM   #16
percolaten
All Star Reserve

Everyone seems to enjoy it so I'm doing my best to keep an open mind. Just blows me away that the days of the great build up to the crescendo of the moment when a pitch is thrown, i.e. Bob Welch k'ing Reggie Jackson to end Game 2 of the '78 series, are gone.
percolaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #17
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Considering what happens in the extra time, why do you want it? Would you watch a half hour video of one guy walking in circles around the mound and another guy adjusting his helmet, glove, and crotch?

Pirates Play Moneyball 1951 to 2008 46,000 views and counting!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:10 PM   #18
MikeG719
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by percolaten View Post
Everyone seems to enjoy it so I'm doing my best to keep an open mind. Just blows me away that the days of the great build up to the crescendo of the moment when a pitch is thrown, i.e. Bob Welch k'ing Reggie Jackson to end Game 2 of the '78 series, are gone.
Year by Year Avg Game Time
https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...ors/misc.shtml

Games in the 70's moved at a much faster pace than these games even with a pitch clock. The players got way out of control with the adjustments between each pitch and stepping out of the box. You'll still have those moments.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #19
MikeG719
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Considering what happens in the extra time, why do you want it? Would you watch a half hour video of one guy walking in circles around the mound and another guy adjusting his helmet, glove, and crotch?
Who doesn't want to watch Juan Soto adjust his junk 12 times every at bat lol?
Old 03-31-2023, 02:17 PM   #20
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
Learn to read a box score. That would help plenty. 15 games played yesterday for a total of 2,664 minutes.
Yeah, maybe you should.

Games yesterday took an official 2,476 minutes in total, which 41 hours, 16 minutes in total, or just over 2:45 per game.

I know you're staunchly opposed and feel robbed of staring into the night sky along with Pedro Baez, but at least get your data straight.

Games below in the order in which they are listed on the daily scores page on bb-ref.
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote