Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:38 PM   #1
mytreds
All Star Reserve

Paul vs Tyson

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/jak...ly-20-netflix/

I hope Paul has his affairs in order.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
low
Hall Of Famer

$$$. Tyson will lose. Everyone gets rich. The end.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:33 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
This is insane. I thought Tyson had finally reached a point in his life where he was beyond stunts like this.

He is 57 years old. I do my best to respect him. He was wild in his younger days. I wish he would finally give it up.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:15 PM   #4
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

What I've seen about Tyson is that he still has his power and he still has the boxing mind. Of course his speed isn't there anymore, which back when he was in his late teens and early 20s was the best thing about him (I think everyone remembers the quick KOs but they don't remember how often those came out of counters after guys got frustrated not being able to touch him and over-reached).

Honestly I think the main issue with Jake Paul and boxing is that boxing, really unlike MMA even, is a sport where you're going to get punched a lot and you have to will yourself to fight through it. To get to that point, an awful lot of good boxers - sure, not every single boxer but an awful lot of them - has had to get to a point to where they had nothing left but the ability to take multiple punches to keep going. Tyson had issues reaching down that deep sometimes, particularly in the last stages of his career, and Tyson had a much, much worse background than Paul did.

Yeah, that 30 year age gap is a big thing and Tyson was never one of those super-relentless types like Holyfield (who I absolutely do not want to see in a ring again no matter how this Tyson exhibition does) but man... Tyson is a boxer and Paul is a YouTuber who posts videos of dead people for a living, at least when he and his brother aren't scamming their fanbase with some crypto rug-pull or another. So much of boxing history seems to be about "oh man I sure hope Guy X will plaster Guy Y" and I can't help but immediately buy into that here but... I think Tyson will win ugly but he'll win.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:16 PM   #5
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
This is insane. I thought Tyson had finally reached a point in his life where he was beyond stunts like this.

He is 57 years old. I do my best to respect him. He was wild in his younger days. I wish he would finally give it up.
I always thought that if he could just keep his own damn self out of a ring he could make a really good trainer. He really, really knows his stuff when it comes to boxing. Under Cus D'Amato he practically memorized like 20 years worth of fights, and in the rare occasions people sit down and talk to him about boxing instead of all of the other things that revolve around Tyson, he's incredibly well-versed in all of it.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 03-07-2024, 05:25 PM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I always thought that if he could just keep his own damn self out of a ring he could make a really good trainer. He really, really knows his stuff when it comes to boxing. Under Cus D'Amato he practically memorized like 20 years worth of fights, and in the rare occasions people sit down and talk to him about boxing instead of all of the other things that revolve around Tyson, he's incredibly well-versed in all of it.
Tyson is incredibly intelligent. And like you said, he loves boxing and would watch video for hours on end or read heaps of books on the subject.

But he also grew up very rough and just could not keep out his own way.
He became very wealthy and very famous in a short amount of time and I think it overwhelmed him.
I am not excusing his behavior at all. But I do think that 'too much, too soon' can overwhelm a lot of people.

And I have pretty negative feelings about both Paul brothers.
But they are legit good boxers.

They are not professional quality. But both are serious fans of the sport, and put considering time and effort into training, learning the sport, and getting their bodies ready for the rigors of boxing.

I really dislike the idea of a 57 year old fighting a 27 year old.

It could end up like the Roy Jones Jr vs Tyson fight in 2020. Where it seemed pre arranged their neither fighters was going for it, and there was a lot of clinching and I don't think any significant power shots were landed.

For this fight, I think Paul will take it seriously, he still is searching for credibility.
I have no idea how seriously Tyson will take this.
He is 57, and even his last fights in the early 2000s, he never took training seriously and would come in overweight and not in the right headspace to fight.

I just hope no one gets injured from this.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:41 PM   #7
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I just hope no one gets injured from this.
Except for Jake Paul. I wouldn't mind seeing Jake Paul get injured and/or humiliated.

... (oops, did I say that out loud)
Old 03-07-2024, 07:27 PM   #8
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Except for Jake Paul. I wouldn't mind seeing Jake Paul get injured and/or humiliated.

... (oops, did I say that out loud)
One punch from Tyson, and Paul loses all memory of second grade, violin lessons, and what his mom's name is.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:35 PM   #9
low
Hall Of Famer

If this were a real fight, Paul would die in about 20 seconds. It's not. It's a money-making exhibition like I said earlier. I don't know how anyone believes this is a legit boxing match.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:49 PM   #10
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

That's one thing I'd prefer about using, say, Money Mayweather (although Mayweather is much smaller than Paul and would not want to potentially lose on one punch to a much larger guy). When he fought McGregor he basically stood him up for 5ish rounds, waited for him to tire himself out, and then took him out. I think Tyson has been training better in general for the past couple years but there's being in shape and there's being in boxing shape and I just don't see any way that Paul doesn't come in much more trim and much faster.

What he doesn't have, of course, is anything close to Tyson's power, and again, even though Tyson was never known as a guy to eat a lot of punches*, I'm sure he'll be able to eat Paul's non-boxer power. Will Paul wear him down?

I'll be honest, I also think the fight's going to be incredibly boring and unsatisfying. I predict Paul will get with a trainer enough to not throw horrible looking punches you can see coming from a mile away but beyond that, the dude has zero ring experience and it'll basically be him jumping around and probably getting frustrated that he can't ever hit Tyson cleanly vs a shorter version of what we saw out of George Foreman in the 90s - a pretty immobile guy who will just plod forward over and over again. Maybe I'll be totally wrong but like think of how boring Wladimir Klitschko fights got towards the end of his career and then imagine something even more boring.

*(I will say that the ear thing with Holyfield was due to Evander constantly head-butting him - I'm not saying that makes it OK but there's a narrative out there that Tyson got tired and fighting dirty was his way of quitting and that's not really the case... he did quit on his feet in his last match though)
Old 03-08-2024, 02:28 AM   #11
Samueltbaum
Minors (Double A)

Would love to see Tyson Knock Paul out in the first round. I've always found Paul to be a huge dick overall. The first time I watched one of his videos it blew my mind that he made so much $$$$$ off of being a dick in his videos, and people watch it and love it. Crazy to me.

I'm personally not a boxing fan, and wish it wasn't a sport. But it makes a lot of $$$$, and many people love it. Paul has put boxing back on the map, props to him for doing so.
Samueltbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #12
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I think Jake and Logan just have a heel type personality and that's what they make money off of. Probably a lot of it is just them milking it not that they are jerks off the cameras.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:23 PM   #13
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The Pauls make their money this way. They pick on people who have no business being in a ring with them, then count on their obnoxious reputations to sell tickets on the desperate hope they'll get beat. I'm almost tempted to call it a scam.

Tyson was washed up 20 years ago. He's just milking his stans for cash here, as dishonest as Paul.

(Not that everything the Pauls do is dishonest. Logan is the most natural talent the WWE has found since Seth Rollins, which was nearly 15 years ago.)

Last edited by Amazin69; 03-08-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:23 PM   #14
Samueltbaum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I think Jake and Logan just have a heel type personality and that's what they make money off of. Probably a lot of it is just them milking it not that they are jerks off the cameras.
I haven't found Logan to be as bad, But also haven't watched very much. That being said, kids are very much influenced by the things they see. On TV or videos. Look at all of the people who do the bucket on random peoples heads thing.

One person started it, now a bunch of people do it. Kids think its funny, and think its ok to put random buckets on peoples heads, regardless of it being terrible.

Jake Paul is an influencer. He just does it all in the wrong ways, to teach his viewers its ok to be a dick.
Samueltbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:00 PM   #15
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Nah, ive heard various stories of them being confrontational and entitled off camera as well. Plus, it takes a special kind of jackass to create a charity called I think it was Save The Children only for it to turn into a rug pull. I believe both Pauls were heavily in on that dumb crypto mobile “game”, the one that also turned out to be a rug pull, where they even tried to intimidate the YouTuber Coffeezilla (who by the way is great) into no reporting their lies… which of course went back on them full Streisand but it doesn’t make it any less sinister.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:50 PM   #16
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Anyways, it's an exhibition so I doubt anyone gets knocked out. Paul will probably win due to being faster that an almost 60 year old Tyson
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 12:09 PM   #17
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I'm quite proud, after reading all your musings, that I had to look up who Jake Paul was. Mouthy Mike I well remember from his fearsome legacy and many scandals...raping Desiree Washington and the Mark Antony business. Both seem contemptible to me. To those who watch, enjoy. I'll abstain.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:02 PM   #18
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Looks like Tyson is taking this seriously. Develop a good fight plan for guarding against / dealing with his loss in reaction time and this could get ugly fast for Mr Paul. This won't be like stepping in the ring with the less-talented Fury brother.

One way to combat the reaction time issue is to rush and push from the bell. Lean on Paul and make him fight in a phone booth. It won't last long in my opinion despite Tyson's age if he can successfully stay in tight range where his power will still be withering.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:49 AM   #19
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
What I've seen about Tyson is that he still has his power and he still has the boxing mind. Of course his speed isn't there anymore, which back when he was in his late teens and early 20s was the best thing about him (I think everyone remembers the quick KOs but they don't remember how often those came out of counters after guys got frustrated not being able to touch him and over-reached).

Honestly I think the main issue with Jake Paul and boxing is that boxing, really unlike MMA even, is a sport where you're going to get punched a lot and you have to will yourself to fight through it. To get to that point, an awful lot of good boxers - sure, not every single boxer but an awful lot of them - has had to get to a point to where they had nothing left but the ability to take multiple punches to keep going. Tyson had issues reaching down that deep sometimes, particularly in the last stages of his career, and Tyson had a much, much worse background than Paul did.

Yeah, that 30 year age gap is a big thing and Tyson was never one of those super-relentless types like Holyfield (who I absolutely do not want to see in a ring again no matter how this Tyson exhibition does) but man... Tyson is a boxer and Paul is a YouTuber who posts videos of dead people for a living, at least when he and his brother aren't scamming their fanbase with some crypto rug-pull or another. So much of boxing history seems to be about "oh man I sure hope Guy X will plaster Guy Y" and I can't help but immediately buy into that here but... I think Tyson will win ugly but he'll win.
I never heard of this guy, but people say the worst things about him. But they never go into detail. Why is he disliked by many?

I tried to do some research on him through videos, but didn't see much of anything. It just bored me to tears.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:57 AM   #20
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I never heard of this guy, but people say the worst things about him. But they never go into detail. Why is he disliked by many?

I tried to do some research on him through videos, but didn't see much of anything. It just bored me to tears.
Jake’s the guy who went to the suicide forest in Japan and started filming, and then only apologized for it after severe backlash. His more talented brother Logan has also started a couple of crypto scams.