Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:49 AM   #1
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

TKO By Cuts

I want to say this has been discussed in the past, but wasn't positive.

It seems like there are a much higher percentage of fights stopped by cuts in 2.5 than in real-life boxing. (Of course, I tried to replicate this over 100 fights and the % wasn't insane, but my testing could have been faulty).

How do you handle this in your universes if you have a similar experience? Do you find assigning specific cut men make a difference? Or just live with the results?

I have been playing with the notion that doctor's are faster to stop because advances in treating cuts after the fight leads to little actual scarring or permanent damage. So my fighters don't lose any time between fights, but the doctor's will be a lot stingier at calling a fight.
American_Ernesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

I know what you mean - if it happens to a fighter where I'm trying to build his record as a contender or a former champ in a comeback fight I just declare it a NC like it never happened.

I do use it in title bouts though where it gives a big underdog a chance against a statistically much better fighter. Then the new champ can either give a rematch, fight another champ in a unification or be forced to vacate. It's almost like a backdoor way to get rid of a champ too good for his division.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
Cap
Hall Of Famer

You can try using referees that are slow to stop a fight AND cornermen who are great with cuts.

I haven't noticed as many TKOs due to cuts since I started using the above. They still happen. If a fight is stopped in round one because of a cut, I just negate the result and start that one again.

Cap
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #4
pilight
All Star Starter

Somewhere along the way it was suggested that refs should have a separate stoppage ratings for cuts, which would be reasonable. I don't think the Trunzos put much thought into ref ratings.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:11 PM   #5
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
I know what you mean - if it happens to a fighter where I'm trying to build his record as a contender or a former champ in a comeback fight I just declare it a NC like it never happened.

I do use it in title bouts though where it gives a big underdog a chance against a statistically much better fighter. Then the new champ can either give a rematch, fight another champ in a unification or be forced to vacate. It's almost like a backdoor way to get rid of a champ too good for his division.
Thanks for the reply! I have thought of doing something similar with the "it never happened" when I have those last round cut stoppages when the losing fighter has dominated. I find it interesting how it can impact your universe in other ways!
Old 03-27-2023, 10:12 PM   #6
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
You can try using referees that are slow to stop a fight AND cornermen who are great with cuts.

I haven't noticed as many TKOs due to cuts since I started using the above. They still happen. If a fight is stopped in round one because of a cut, I just negate the result and start that one again.

Cap
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look into that and see if it can cut down on some of the cut stoppages.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 PM   #7
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Somewhere along the way it was suggested that refs should have a separate stoppage ratings for cuts, which would be reasonable. I don't think the Trunzos put much thought into ref ratings.
That makes sense. While I think 2.5 has done amazing lasting as long as it has even with a small pool of players, it sure seems like there is a more updated version that wouldn't have to be that much different.

OOTP, Football Manager, et al. release every year and often times it isn't vastly different from even several versions prior. If only I was a programmer, with lots of time...and energy...oh and that whole programming thing.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:19 PM   #8
pilight
All Star Starter

Those games release every year because there's a new season every year. Boxing doesn't work that way.

An update every 2-3 years would be plenty.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:39 PM   #9
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Quote:
Those games release every year because there's a new season every year. Boxing doesn't work that way.

An update every 2-3 years would be plenty.
Oh, I agree. I know why they do, just noting that they don't necessarily change a lot that is under the hood.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:41 PM   #10
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would go so far as to say that the Trunzos did not design a game that could be set up easily and played by a modern computer. Nowadays refs with, say, 8 to 10 different ratings is not a lot more than one more little piece to add to verisimilitude. In the 70s, when you’re setting all that up on a tabletop? Man, don’t bog me down with freaking referee TKO Cuts ratings…
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:10 AM   #11
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Also OOTP has nothing to do with Title Bout since Paul Norman took it over and relegated it to the Twilight Zone. We're lucky they still host our forum here. There won't be ANY updates unless one of us wins the lottery and decides to spend a million or so on this game.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 03-29-2023 at 10:13 AM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #12
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Ernesider View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have thought of doing something similar with the "it never happened" when I have those last round cut stoppages when the losing fighter has dominated. I find it interesting how it can impact your universe in other ways!
You bet, I figured it's tough enough already on the fighters in my universe where everyone is at their prime - I don't have faded sub prime guys fighting so they don't need cheap cut non title bout losses on their records.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #13
rockmedic109
Minors (Rookie Ball)

As far as cuts go, I seem to get more cuts on fighters with cut ratings of 3 than with cut ratings of 4. This is all from playing the fight. I haven't checked on all the fights I've had in autoscheduler/sim just those fights I've played out and this is just a feeling rather than mathmatically verifying it.

I remember the original {non-computer} version had ratings for how often a fighter cut his opponent. The highest rating the cuts table was 10 but the highest a fighter in the game had was 7 {Ali, Fritzie Zivic and Ezzard Charles are the one's I remember}.

If the possibility of a cut is determined after a punch landed, I would think a high CF and high Accuracy fighter would have a higher chance of cutting his opponent. I am assuming that Counter-Punch Accuracy with a high Defense would also help increase cuts.
rockmedic109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #14
Mark42661
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Ernesider View Post
I want to say this has been discussed in the past, but wasn't positive.

It seems like there are a much higher percentage of fights stopped by cuts in 2.5 than in real-life boxing. (Of course, I tried to replicate this over 100 fights and the % wasn't insane, but my testing could have been faulty).

How do you handle this in your universes if you have a similar experience? Do you find assigning specific cut men make a difference? Or just live with the results?

I have been playing with the notion that doctor's are faster to stop because advances in treating cuts after the fight leads to little actual scarring or permanent damage. So my fighters don't lose any time between fights, but the doctor's will be a lot stingier at calling a fight.
Do you have the 2.5.27 patch version? That patch greatly improved the cut situation... and some other things too. It's been so long ago that I can't remember everything that the 2.5.27 patch fixed. I do know that it is an essential patch that improved 2.5 quite a bit!