Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > OOTP 23 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 23 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2022 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #21
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
Yay! Large market teams find more ways to make more money!
I believe is that the plan is for most if not all teams to have a City Connect uniform.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #22
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor ape View Post
I believe is that the plan is for most if not all teams to have a City Connect uniform.
Yes, my understanding is that seven teams each year get these. Last year that included teams like the Marlins and Diamondbacks, who I don't exactly think of as large market teams, at least in the MLB context. This year it will include such mammoth and lucrative markets as Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Denver (Colorado Rockies).
So, yeah, nothing to do with size of markets.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #23
fifthorkid
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just leave well enough alone. These are all hideous, just like the "Color Rush" NFL uniforms they did.

Last edited by fifthorkid; 04-14-2022 at 02:57 PM.
fifthorkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #24
low
Hall Of Famer

People lose their minds over the most trivial things.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #25
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
People lose their minds over the most trivial things.
I agree, but these merchandise money grabs are a bit over the top. It used to be fun when a team would unveil a new jersey here and there, now its just old hat
Old 04-13-2022, 11:36 PM   #26
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
I agree, but these merchandise money grabs are a bit over the top. It used to be fun when a team would unveil a new jersey here and there, now its just old hat
I walked down to the team store and bought the Nationals’ t-shirt, hat, and jersey because they look good and actually reflect something about the city. I grew up a Cubs fan and would never spend money on the Wrigleyville merch which I find to be extremely boring. How anyone bought the Boston look is beyond me.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:37 AM   #27
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I walked down to the team store and bought the Nationals’ t-shirt, hat, and jersey because they look good and actually reflect something about the city. I grew up a Cubs fan and would never spend money on the Wrigleyville merch which I find to be extremely boring. How anyone bought the Boston look is beyond me.
The Boston jersey had nothing to do with baseball and everything to do with making money of "Boston Strong" and the marathon. foolish
Old 04-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #28
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't buy the Wrigleyville merch because I thought it was dumb and a little cringey TBH. Pretty much my least favorite aspect of Cubs games is having to deal with all the frat boys in the area around it (which, I'm surely biased by taking classes in that area during Cubs games but I'm sticking to this). The stadium is cool in an old-style way, I love that the L stops right outside of it, I even accept the "extra seating" on the roofs beyond right field (although I hear that the Cubs will be obscuring the view of those seats, which makes me laugh), but I am done with all those crappy sports bars and I sure as hell don't need them commemorated with a jersey.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #29
cheo25
All Star Reserve

It's all a cash grab. In the Astros' case, I like the cap so I've ordered one. If jerseys weren't so expensive and if I had more reason to wear one (since I only go to 1 or 2 Astros games a year), I might buy one. And I still might.

But I'm not sure I could pull the trigger if they had done something way off the mark, like the Red Sox did.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #30
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheo25 View Post
But I'm not sure I could pull the trigger if they had done something way off the mark, like the Red Sox did.
I'm a Red Sox fan and while I am not a fan of the uniforms per se, the fact, when they chose a theme, they went with the Boston Marathon colors, means something to me given the events of 2013. Note it says Boston on the front and not Red Sox. In case anyone forgets whose ******* city it is
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #31
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdowneSt View Post
I'm a Red Sox fan and while I am not a fan of the uniforms per se, the fact, when they chose a theme, they went with the Boston Marathon colors, means something to me given the events of 2013. Note it says Boston on the front and not Red Sox. In case anyone forgets whose ******* city it is
Those is the exact feelings they wanted you (an me) to have when they unveiled those colors, and it disgusts me.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #32
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #33
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Those is the exact feelings they wanted you (an me) to have when they unveiled those colors, and it disgusts me.
Crass cashing-in on tragedy and human suffering or a genuine attempt to pick something that tried to honor? I am sure the former was the motivation of the brass but I'm not so jaded (yet) that I think the entire effort was wholly insincere - though I don't know how much if anything goes to a victims fund. Back to uniforms, I personally liked the wearing of the home whites with "Boston" on the front on Patriots Day as the remembrance - did you ever make ones like that silvam14? Now that special event uniforms are becoming more of a thing per the release OOTP 23 notes?

It's tough anytime you do the "honor them" thing. Doesn't matter what it is. Take NeL throwbacks. Are they honoring a league, erasing their role in why there was an NeL in the first place, or just selling the merch? It's seems it's always a bit of everything.
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #34
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdowneSt View Post
Crass cashing-in on tragedy and human suffering or a genuine attempt to pick something that tried to honor? I am sure the former was the motivation of the brass but I'm not so jaded (yet) that I think the entire effort was wholly insincere - though I don't know how much if anything goes to a victims fund. Back to uniforms, I personally liked the wearing of the home whites with "Boston" on the front on Patriots Day as the remembrance - did you ever make ones like that silvam14? Now that special event uniforms are becoming more of a thing per the release OOTP 23 notes?

It's tough anytime you do the "honor them" thing. Doesn't matter what it is. Take NeL throwbacks. Are they honoring a league, erasing their role in why there was an NeL in the first place, or just selling the merch? It's seems it's always a bit of everything.
NeL throwbacks are great IMO because it allows people to re-visit history in a way. I'm all for things like that.

As far as me personally creating the "Boston" jerseys, I have basically stayed away from the one-offs when it comes to jerseys, besides, there are plenty of others here who create those well ahead of me.

I don't mean to sound completely against the marathon jerseys and the meaning, but there has been plenty done in the years past to make sure we will never forget, I just feel its time to move on and the alternate jersey overload just brings that feeling out in me more I guess
Old 04-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #35
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, when Seattle did a NeL throwback a few years ago they raised a bit of long-forgotten local history by wearing the uniforms of a team that was a member of the Negro Western League (?) for a single season in the 1940s. It was cool and although I didn't pick up a commemorative uniform myself I am still tempted to do so.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:29 PM   #36
dbqs
Major Leagues

The Sox city connect jersey remains undefeated! (edit: should clarify White, not Red...)
Astros one is fine. As others mentioned I do love the hat, love the look but not the "Space City" text. Maybe if it were a bit smaller. Meh!
Old 04-14-2022, 10:22 PM   #37
ChrisJNelson
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
My thoughts? I wish I were a player like deGrom so I could tell my team if we're expected to wear those on a day I pitch, I won't pitch.

It's a 9 hour drive for me to see the Cubs. Normally pay for some pretty good seats and take in two games. If they're wearing these I would consider the whole day a waste of time.

I think it was Washington I saw wear there's yesterday. Honestly it looked like they forgot to paint the batting helmets. I guess they thought having grey primer on them was enough.

The closest thing I could connect City Connect unis with would be a trash barrel.

If along with the MLB license and alternates these come with OOTP23? I'll delete them.

Nothing but an eyesore. Little League through high school team's in small town Iowa have better unis than these.

If you want to know how I really feel PM me
Praying for you to get through such difficult times.
ChrisJNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:58 PM   #38
Clemente21PIT
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post
The Sox city connect jersey remains undefeated! (edit: should clarify White, not Red...)
Astros one is fine. As others mentioned I do love the hat, love the look but not the "Space City" text. Maybe if it were a bit smaller. Meh!
I like the White Sox city connect the most because it feels rooted in how the team actually looks at the moment. I generally don't like the other city connects at all though, except maybe the Astros because they keep the color scheme going and the Marlins.

The Marlins are the exception to my rule that the color scheme should remain the same, but I think that's mainly because Miami doesn't have as strong of a traditional look. Without any expectations surrounding what I think the Marlins should look like, I'm much more interested in seeing a new look on the field.

I've been born and raised a Red Sox fan and I know how important the Marathon is to the city of Boston, but the jerseys don't draw anything from Boston's baseball history and the colors are terrible on the field. I also just don't think the timeless looking teams, such as the Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees etc. need to muddy their uniform rotation with city connect jerseys. But hey, I don't have a say in this, so I'll just choose not to buy any city connect gear.
Clemente21PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:29 PM   #39
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Astros uniform is hideous.

Nationals uniform is beautiful.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:39 AM   #40
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
Praying for you to get through such difficult times.
Not going to be too hard to do. MLB has made it so hard to actually watch games that, to my extreme surprise, it is becoming something I miss less and less.

So many blackout rules are silly. Spring training games? Really.
Teams setting up exclusive team streaming and then only getting one or maybe two outlets to show the games? That is an interest killer to current fans and a deterrent to developing new young fans. My son and I are both losing interest without a good way to stay engaged. His kids? No interest at all. How could there be? It's not like they can "watch a game with Dad", there are none on to see that matter to him. It's a $140ish for MLB.tv with no live games for us (blacked out). If the team offered us their streaming network as standalone for $150, maybe $200 to watch all games live, we would both be in. It's not always the money, it's access and when one gets it. Without access interest dies.

I don't think I will ever drop it entirely. I keep trying to find viable ways to watch live games but it is not easy to do. There was a time this would drive me crazy but not anymore. OOTP and my dynasty is a great substitute that means my summer isn't left totally empty. A strike or lockout years ago was devastating. Now? Meh, I'll be ok. Couldn't actually watch many games anyway.

Even if I loved these uniforms they wouldn't be able to fix what is the real problem.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote