Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP 25 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 25 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 25th Anniversary Edition of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB, the MLBPA, KBO and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:14 AM   #1
WSR
Minors (Triple A)

1967 Cleveland Guardians?

I'm running a Historical League dating back to 1901 to present day and am simming through the decades to create a history for my "fictional league" (although the rosters are filled with real historical players; which is not what I intended). I plan to take control of my L.A. Dodgers before the 2024 season.

While running the sim, I noticed that the Cleveland Indians were the Cleveland Guardians in the 1960s. Is this a setting I selected or was it a OOTP Development decision to use the updated name during that era? (I'm just getting back into this game again after several years of not playing it regularly so I just want to ensure I'm not missing a setting or something.) Thank you.
WSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:18 AM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSR View Post
While running the sim, I noticed that the Cleveland Indians were the Cleveland Guardians in the 1960s. Is this a setting I selected or was it a OOTP Development decision to use the updated name during that era?
It is neither. I don't know the actual terminology but it is a requirement of the MLB license agreement that OOTP use Guardians instead of the actual historical team nickname.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:22 AM   #3
WSR
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
It is neither. I don't know the actual terminology but it is a requirement of the MLB license agreement that OOTP use Guardians instead of the actual historical team nickname.
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you. Are there any other teams that would have the same type of changes? Off hand, I cannot think of any.

Thanks again!
WSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:33 AM   #4
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Just them. Minor league “Indians” are still “Indians”. It’s an MLB thing as stated. There are threads on how to edit the Teams.csv file so it stays modded in long term sims.

Just my Facegen Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi..._Pack.zip/file
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:00 AM   #5
twins_34
All Star Reserve

You can adjust a file and fix this in the game.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=326183
twins_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:22 PM   #6
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Yes, because the injustices of the past should be addressed by whitewashing the past.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:43 PM   #7
uruguru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins_34 View Post
You can adjust a file and fix this in the game.
/data/stats/Teams.csv is all of the historical teams

/data/stats/MilbTeams.csv is all of the historical minor-league teams

These are comma-delimited files and easy to edit in a spreadsheet.... Still, make a backup copy of these files before editing! Just to be safe.

Let's say you wish they had been named the "Spiders" instead of the "Guardians". You can then open that file, do a global search-and-replace and change "Guardians" to "Spiders" (or whatever else name you might want to use) and then save it.

The only time you'll then see Guardians is when you start a new save, and you can change that as part of the initial setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
Yes, because the injustices of the past should be addressed by whitewashing the past.
Probably won't be long before we aren't allowed to use #42 on OOTP uniforms!

Last edited by uruguru; 03-19-2024 at 07:45 PM.
uruguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:39 PM   #8
tktkrtktkr
Bat Boy

Last edited by tktkrtktkr; 03-19-2024 at 11:40 PM.
tktkrtktkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:10 AM   #9
doors11
All Star Reserve

Has anyone edited the teams.csv file to change the Indians back and posted for dl Scared I might not be able to do it TY
doors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:51 AM   #10
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tktkrtktkr View Post
feel free to elaborate
Old 03-20-2024, 01:36 PM   #11
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors11 View Post
Has anyone edited the teams.csv file to change the Indians back and posted for dl Scared I might not be able to do it TY
I have not done it specifically to change the name back to Indians. But in versions 24 and earlier, I've made lots of changes to teams.csv over the years and they work fine; things like city, nickname, ballpark name changes. No problem. So I've no reason to believe it wouldn't work fine in v25.

Try this:

1. Make backup copy of your teams.csv file.
2. Make changes to the file so the Cleveland franchise's nickname is historically accurate.
3. Test it out. (IOW, don't try this with your ongoing game; try it in a quick test.)
4. Report back here.
Note: Keep in mind that changes to teams.csv (and other files) will not be reflected in year one of your game, as OOTP does not utilize those files in the setup of your game. It only uses those files for subsequent seasons.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:10 PM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Look at column AO for Name. It will be next to the park column.
Change all Cleveland Guardians to Cleveland Indians and you should be good to go.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:43 PM   #13
uruguru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Look at column AO for Name. It will be next to the park column.
Change all Cleveland Guardians to Cleveland ********* and you should be good to go.
dude, we should not recommend someone change it to '*********' because the MLB license forbids OOTP from distributing a game with that name. If people start commonly modding that restriction out, then who knows? The ability to edit those files might be removed. I mean, look what happened with the league that shall not be named.

People should change it to Spiders or whatever else they want. Let them connect the dots. I don't want the OOTP devs to get forced into a bad spot.

Last edited by uruguru; 03-20-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:51 PM   #14
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruguru View Post
dude, we should not recommend someone change it to '*********' because the MLB license forbids OOTP from distributing a game with that name. If people start commonly modding that restriction out, then who knows? The ability to edit those files might be removed. I mean, look what happened with the league that shall not be named.

People should change it to Spiders or whatever else they want. Let them connect the dots. I don't want the OOTP devs to get forced into a bad spot.
How is it any different than changing a team name in the game itself?
Old 03-21-2024, 02:57 PM   #15
Socali
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
BasballMan doth speak much wisdom.
Socali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:29 PM   #16
uruguru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Functionally within the game, there's no difference.

But once you spend two minutes to do a global search & replace on one file and then never have to remember again to manually do it on every save, every season, it's a huge time-saver.

It only seems the same until you do it.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Functionally within the game, there's no difference.

But once you spend two minutes to do a global search & replace on one file and then never have to remember again to manually do it on every save, every season, it's a huge time-saver.

It only seems the same until you do it.
I am aware that it does that but im confused as to what difference does it make if a user chooses to change the Guardians to Indians in the teams csv
or in the league settings within the game?
Old 03-21-2024, 05:14 PM   #18
uruguru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I am aware that it does that but im confused as to what difference does it make if a user chooses to change the Guardians to Indians in the teams csv
or in the league settings within the game?
oh, that's a different question.

Some people don't like modern sensibilities inserting themselves into what are supposed to be historical recreations, warts and all. Obviously OOTP has no choice since they are legally compelled, but fans aren't so willing to go along.

You personally might not care about those things, but some people do.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:49 PM   #19
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I’ll bet you still wear a mask outside
Old 03-21-2024, 07:20 PM   #20
uruguru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
I’ll bet you still wear a mask outside

no, I just realize that when it comes to stuff like this, you and I and OOTP are not calling the shots. All it takes is one guy who happens to have contacts within MLB to get triggered by players finding easy ways around their stupid name restrictions to end up with more pressure on the OOTP devs to clamp down on this even harder.

i.e. the first rule of Cleveland Indians club is don't talk about Cleveland Indians club

Last edited by uruguru; 03-21-2024 at 07:31 PM.