Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:13 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Caitlin Clark... and Grace Beyer?

Caitlin Clark is that somewhat rare combination of being at the top of her sport and also being as classy as they come. So big congrats to her for becoming the all-time D1 scoring leader

This is a pretty cool story, too: https://sports.yahoo.com/go-eutectic...184352504.html
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:36 AM   #2
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Caitlin Clark is that somewhat rare combination of being at the top of her sport and also being as classy as they come. So big congrats to her for becoming the all-time D1 scoring leader

This is a pretty cool story, too: https://sports.yahoo.com/go-eutectic...184352504.html
The Eutectics. The Eutectic point is the temperature a change of state occurs in a liquid, to a solid.

As a snow and ice removal meteorologist, I used eutectic points every day. If you add salt to water, the eutectic point is reduced...all the way down to the low teens, if enough salt is added.

This is why salt is added to roads, just prior to a snow. In the upper midwest, say, Minnesota, they use magnesium chloride instead of salt, as this lowers the eutectic point still further, and allows the temperature of the solution to drop even more, before to turning to ice.

As snow falls on salt, it dilutes the solution, and increases the eutectic point. That's why the trucks need to "hit" the roads again, over time.

Still..kind of odd to see a sports team named the Eutectics.
dsvitak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
pilight
All Star Starter

The small college record that Beyer is chasing is 4061, belonging to Pearl Moore.

Clark owns the NCAA D-I record, but not the major college record. That belongs to Lynette Woodard at 3649.

Woodard and Moore both played under the AIAW, which managed WCBB before the NCAA could be bothered to do so.
pilight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:06 PM   #4
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
The small college record that Beyer is chasing is 4061, belonging to Pearl Moore.

Clark owns the NCAA D-I record, but not the major college record. That belongs to Lynette Woodard at 3649.

Woodard and Moore both played under the AIAW, which managed WCBB before the NCAA could be bothered to do so.
Clark has another year of eligibility. She should stay, get one million dollars in NIL money, and score another thousand points. That should resolve any issues.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:43 PM   #5
pilight
All Star Starter

All those endorsements will carry over to the WNBA. She's definitely coming out.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:38 PM   #6
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All those endorsements will carry over to the WNBA. She's definitely coming out.
Possibly. Highest player in the WNBA is at 243k. Clark can absolutely get one million in NIL money...and I don't think it's even possible to get another 750k in WNBA endorsements.

Here's an article about how "bleak" it is for a good college basketball player to get endorsements when going to the WNBA:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...83938d81&ei=10

Last edited by dsvitak; 02-17-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:29 AM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
Possibly. Highest player in the WNBA is at 243k. Clark can absolutely get one million in NIL money...and I don't think it's even possible to get another 750k in WNBA endorsements.

Here's an article about how "bleak" it is for a good college basketball player to get endorsements when going to the WNBA:

Yeah, I think she makes more money staying at Iowa. In college she is the number one attraction. According to the announcers at Iowa's last game the Iowa women fill arenas for road games! She headlines ads for State Farm. Is she still that draw after college in a WNBA uniform?

The evidence suggests "no", but she is unique and maybe she's the player to break the mold?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:52 PM   #8
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

This brings to mind the early days of the NFL and NBA where college wasn't a place where you got paid but only technically. Early football in particular, pre-NFL, had college teams just blatantly paying guys to play for them. It makes 100% sense that women's NCAA basketball is more popular nationwide than the WNBA and the fact that college athletes are "amateurs" is no longer the issue it used to be.

The other thing of the olden days of the men's sports is that legitimately good to great players would go through college and then eschew pro ball in favor of working a real job. I doubt Clark will go from the NCAA to IBM the way a guy who played college basketball against George Mikan and who would have likely been the 2nd best center in the early NBA did. I think Byron "Whizzer" White also went from winning a Heisman in the 30s to practicing law with no NFL in between (he of course also became a Supreme Court justice).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:36 PM   #9
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:

I believe Aliyah Boston, who's been through it and knows how it works, over whatever theories some writer has

https://twitter.com/Khristina/status...23964320473524
Old 02-27-2024, 03:40 PM   #10
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Clark should break the actual scoring record which is held by Lynette Woodard, who played for Kansas from 1978-1981 while women's basketball was still governed by the AIAW, in her next 2 games. The NCAA, because the NCAAA is an ass, recognizes coaching records from the AIAW years, which span from 1971-1983, but not player records.

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-...lin-clark.html

Woodard has apparently "endorsed" Clark but it'd be really awesome if Iowa did something special for/with Woodard the way they did when Clark broke Kelsey Plum's "official" record. If nothing else, Clark could break Woodard's women's record the same day she breaks Pistol Pete's all-time everybody record: Clark is I believe 33 points behind Woodard and 51 points behind Maravich.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 02-28-2024, 12:18 PM   #11
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Clark should break the actual scoring record which is held by Lynette Woodard, who played for Kansas from 1978-1981 while women's basketball was still governed by the AIAW, in her next 2 games. The NCAA, because the NCAAA is an ass, recognizes coaching records from the AIAW years, which span from 1971-1983, but not player records.

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-...lin-clark.html

Woodard has apparently "endorsed" Clark but it'd be really awesome if Iowa did something special for/with Woodard the way they did when Clark broke Kelsey Plum's "official" record. If nothing else, Clark could break Woodard's women's record the same day she breaks Pistol Pete's all-time everybody record: Clark is I believe 33 points behind Woodard and 51 points behind Maravich.
I read that Pat Summit's record of coaching wins included three years of AIAW teams.

You can't have it both ways. You can't give her credit for W's if you don't count the points scored.

Kind of like giving Ichiro Japanese League hits to over take Pete Rose, but then not give Rose the several hundred minor league hits in return.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:19 PM   #12
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post

I REALLY like Caitlin Clark..but classy she isn't. She is an MJ clone, and will carve out your heart and eat it at mid court.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:16 PM   #13
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
I read that Pat Summit's record of coaching wins included three years of AIAW teams.

You can't have it both ways. You can't give her credit for W's if you don't count the points scored.

Kind of like giving Ichiro Japanese League hits to over take Pete Rose, but then not give Rose the several hundred minor league hits in return.
Tara Vanderveer has the All Time wins record, which also includes several seasons under the AIAW.

The NCAA's treatment of AIAW records and stats has been inconsistent over the years.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:34 PM   #14
pilight
All Star Starter

Clark announced today that she's entering the draft
Old 02-29-2024, 06:26 PM   #15
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I REALLY like Caitlin Clark..but classy she isn't. She is an MJ clone, and will carve out your heart and eat it at mid court.
You are correct. I guess I was thinking more about her off-court. And in comparison to one her high-profile contemps, Angel Reese... (Although I will give Reese props for her classy congrats Tweet when Clark broke Plum's record )
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:08 PM   #16
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I was a little surprised she decided to go pro but I guess in retrospect... what she gets for college is she can do endorsements and all of that is just as available in the pros, except I guess for the "endorsements" that are really just alumni paying her, and I'm sure even the WNBA offers better salaries than that.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:39 PM   #17
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
We also forget how competitive these people are. What is left for her to do at the NCAA level on an individual level?

I am sure she would like to win an NCAA title, and will be disappointed if she does not.
But the tournament being a one loss and you are out structure, makes it a crap shoot.

Now she can move up to the highest level and play against the best players in the world.
I think she also realizes that longevity is a thing. If she stays another year, she is a year older and has that wear and tear on her body and it is not even at a professional level.

And finally, Indiana has the #1 pick.
They already have Boston whom I have compared to Kevin Garnett.

I think she realizes this is a good landing spot with a young up and coming team and will be a good starting point for her professional career.

And this is a really good WNBA draft assuming some of the other possible top 10 picks declare for the draft.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:35 PM   #18
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Before today's game between Iowa and whoever it was Iowa roffle stomped, three "experts" were saying how Iowa would get shut down by a strong zone defense.

Didn't work. Plenty of holes.

At halftime, the "experts" complained that Clark was getting too many good looks, and that the defenders needed to attack her, and double.

Aaaand that didn't work either. Caitlin Clark SMASHED them, with 28 points, and 15 assists. Every time they tried to double team her, she found a teammate wide open for a good look.

LSU-Iowa will be a lot of fun coming up. A nice grudge match.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:04 PM   #19
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Clark announced today that she's entering the draft
So she won't get any further records?

(In most sports, regular-season totals are recorded separately from playoffs. It's hardly fair to Maravich that the NCAA has expanded its tournaments to double the length they once were, after all.)

I was a bit nonplussed when I saw one of Caitlin's ads where she referred to herself as "great". Not that she isn't and it's not as if she wrote the copy, but I would imagine that most star athletes would avoid such blatant bragging and change the line. Hmm.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:10 PM   #20
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Yeah, self promotion never works out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9CeC3yrcG4