Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:47 PM   #81
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I think on Vegas' part, its kind of like having a pretty girl you don't know introduce herself & hand you their number. You're flattered, Your ego gets a turbo boost. You dial her up on the quick cause of the possibilities in your mind. And then you see why she is still single.
In this case you can also tell at a glance that she’s kq76’s mom
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:11 PM   #82
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
In this case you can also tell at a glance that she’s kq76’s mom
Oh, that reminds me. She liked the basket of flowers you brought her last time, but what she'd really like is more of that Trader Joe's BBQ sauce she likes.

What you see in a 77-year old woman I don't know, but I'm glad you two make each other happy.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #83
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Oh, that reminds me. She liked the basket of flowers you brought her last time, but what she'd really like is more of that Trader Joe's BBQ sauce she likes.

What you see in a 77-year old woman I don't know, but I'm glad you two make each other happy.
No lie, I have used this exact same comeback to great effect so WELL PLAYED SIR
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 06-11-2023, 07:27 PM   #84
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

At least the Athletics can celebrate their recent winning streak, which has raised the club from 1889 Louisville Colonels territory up to the heady heights of 1962 New York Mets territory.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:48 PM   #85
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

A's clear 1st step in getting Nevada tax dollars.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:26 PM   #86
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Bill amended and approved by the Assembly, now back to the Senate. Start stocking up on Oakland A's memorabilia now.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #87
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

David Samson, former Prez of the Marlins, talks the A's to Vegas move on the Dan LeBetard show.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-15-2023, 01:42 PM   #88
mytreds
All Star Reserve

I'm not an Oakland fan, but I've been making the trek to Oakland games more last year and this year, just so I can see the Coliseum in its final days, like I did with Candlestick. Call me an ol' softy, but I enjoy the old cookie cutter stadium, warts and all. New stadiums are too slick and have little character IMO. Coliseum has plenty of character (good and bad). Will be sad to see it go. If I were in charge, I would demolish Mount Davis so the fans could see the beautiful coastal hills again.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:52 PM   #89
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytreds View Post
I'm not an Oakland fan, but I've been making the trek to Oakland games more last year and this year, just so I can see the Coliseum in its final days, like I did with Candlestick. Call me an ol' softy, but I enjoy the old cookie cutter stadium, warts and all. New stadiums are too slick and have little character IMO. Coliseum has plenty of character (good and bad). Will be sad to see it go. If I were in charge, I would demolish Mount Davis so the fans could see the beautiful coastal hills again.
This is… a take, at least. The “character” of the o.co is that since the Kingdome was demolished it’s the worst baseball stadium in the majors. That doesn’t mean the A’s should leave - personally given the way the owner runs the team I’d rather see them disband it altogether and reward a new owner an expansion franchise to get the league back up to 30 teams - but the stadium is terrible and any nostalgia about it reminds me of the way people were like “haha those Orioles are lovable losers” when they lost their first 21 games in 1988 - it sure as hell wasn’t lovable to the fans.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:17 PM   #90
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I don't know…the grassy bank in CF looks pretty nice in all those 1970s Doug McWilliams Topps pics.

Scale back the foul territory and get rid of Mount Davis (and do any necessary maintenance), and I wouldn't see a problem. In an era of ridiculous scoreboards and relentless advertising, I'm old-school enough to appreciate the basics.

Wednesday's loss ended the winning streak at 7 (I bet quite a few teams don't put together a 7-game winning streak this season…even some contenders)…but the winning percentage is all the way up to .271, which projects to 44-118 for a full season. Bye-bye, 1962 Mets! Bye-bye, 2003 Tigers! (And a bunch of rancid depression-era Phillies teams, too.)

Y'all laughed when I called 55-107. And yes, we're still 11 games below that. But we've got time.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:06 AM   #91
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yesterday, when asked about the A's fans' "reverse boycott" that drew over 27,000 in attendance (according to Wikipedia, the capacity of the Coliseum for baseball is 46,847), Rob Manfred's response was “It was great. It’s great to see what is, this year, almost an average Major League Baseball crowd in the facility for one night. That’s a great thing.”

The resulting bad headlines this morning are "In a Moment that Called for Grace, Rob Manfred Opted for Sarcasm" and "MLB commissioner Rob Manfred needs to read the room."

No wonder people call this man "Dumbfred."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:23 AM   #92
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

*Numbfred

Ah, both check out.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #93
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Well, I went ahead and took a trip to the Bay area to see the A's for (probably) the last time at the Oakland Coliseum. My impressions of the place:
  • It's not as bad as I imagined it would be or as other people have said - but then I wasn't there when there was raw sewage filling the dugouts, so I can't say that I got the full Coliseum experience.
  • That being said, the ballpark has clearly seen better days. There was a distinct lack of upkeep visible in the concourse area and just a general sort of drabness all around. It's not terrible, but it's more or less "blah."
  • Really, the worst thing about the Coliseum (apart from Mt. Davis, which is just comically disproportionate) is the area around the ballpark. I arrived on BART, and the surroundings could only be described as "modern urban decay." About the only thing that I could compare it to is all of the chop shops that used to abut Shea Stadium. I suppose it's OK for football fans who can tailgate in the parking lots, but for baseball fans the best thing to do before or after an A's game is to do it somewhere else. I can see why the club wanted a ballpark closer to the city center.
  • The contrast with Oracle Park is pretty striking. I never went to Candlestick, but I imagine that some of the same factors that compelled the Giants to abandon that park and move closer to the city existed for the A's and the Coliseum. After a rush to make parks as car-friendly as possible in the 1960s and '70s, the A's missed the subsequent trend to move back to the urban core (Atlanta is a notable recent exception, but there are other factors at play there). The plans for Las Vegas look like they might finally get that kind of ballpark. Of course, if the A's wanted a ballpark in the heart of a major city, they should never have moved from Philadelphia
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #94
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
In defense of Big Shea, the street with the chop shops was out beyond the (enormous) parking lot. The "7" Train debarked just outside right field, within the footprint of the stadium. Nobody who came to a game, by private or public transportation, ever had to go down that street…

…unless of course they were a poor college student who wasn't going to pay any damn parking fees and was glad to park outside the chop shop and hoof it across the asphalt sea, secure in the privileges of being a big dude and thus an unlikely target. ¿Quien es mas macho? ¡Amazin69!

(Lifetime record in actual fights: 0-1-1. And I only got the draw by biting the other kid. But there's something to be said for a visual deterrent, thankfully.)
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:31 AM   #95
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytreds View Post
I lived near Sacramento from 1963-1971. We went to a TON of games at the 'Stick, and a ton of games after the A's moved into Oakland.

Frankly, both stadiums were terrible.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:09 AM   #96
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Oakland is currently hovering just above 1962 New York Mets territory. (It would finish 42-120 if it maintains its present winning percentage for the rest of the season.)
Old 06-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #97
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

And the Royals are hanging in there right with them.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #98
mytreds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
I lived near Sacramento from 1963-1971. We went to a TON of games at the 'Stick, and a ton of games after the A's moved into Oakland.

Frankly, both stadiums were terrible.

Stick had its problems, because the owner was taken to Candlestick Point in the morning, when the climate was agreeable. It wasn't until the stadium was built that they realize how horrible it was to play at night.

That being said, neither stadiums are terrible. But I understand your opinion.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:29 PM   #99
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
And the Royals are hanging in there right with them.
An entertaining race to the bottom!
Old 06-20-2023, 09:49 PM   #100
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
An entertaining race to the bottom!
"Entertaining" not the term I would use.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance