Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #21
SandmanRivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

"What is the big deal? If I can SAVE the file easily I should be able to SAVE AS easily too. It's just adding the ability for the user to name the file being saved." - ME

"You can already do this. You just want it to be faster than it is. It's not going to get faster, at least not with current technology." - Syd

I guess I don't understand how SAVE AS is a monumental technical challenge compared to SAVE since the only difference is who names the file. That totally baffles me. Since SAVE is already done, then I would think SAVE AS could be done in moments.

And if I could name the file you could eliminate all the code for Back-up and Quickstart. I could just save my own back-up and save my own Quickstart and load them whenever I want like any other file.

So are you saying this is really about the technical difficulty and not a decision to retain control of the file from the user? I don't get the difficulty but it would be good to know the company isn't withholding Save As for some bizarre motive, like trying to prevent users from using it to fix their own gaffes.

Last edited by SandmanRivera; 04-21-2020 at 08:03 PM.
SandmanRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #22
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanRivera View Post
"What is the big deal? If I can SAVE the file easily I should be able to SAVE AS easily too. It's just adding the ability for the user to name the file being saved." - ME

"You can already do this. You just want it to be faster than it is. It's not going to get faster, at least not with current technology." - Syd

I guess I don't understand how SAVE AS is a monumental technical challenge compared to SAVE since the only difference is who names the file. That totally baffles me. Since SAVE is already done, then I would think SAVE AS could be done in moments.

And if I could name the file you could eliminate all the code for Back-up and Quickstart. I could just save my own back-up and save my own Quickstart and load them whenever I want like any other file.

So are you saying this is really about the technical difficulty and not a decision to retain control of the file from the user?
Yes, I am saying that the process of backing up an entire league that can hold literal gigabytes of data multiple times so you can "load them whenever you want" is a technical limitation, not a "decision to retain control of the file from the user".
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #23
SandmanRivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok, maybe we are getting somewhere.

I am talking about have multiple copies of the game, but I would be saving them one at a time, probably an AB or two or three apart. Maybe even a half-inning apart. So I might save one before inning 1. Save another before the bottom of the inning. Another at the top of the 2nd inning. And so on.

I would think each time I save the file would be no different than any other time I save the file. A few seconds. And after a while there would be several files of different but related names in the directory. The software wouldn't need to know about the different versions, just the one loaded.

Then if I want to go back one or two versions, I just load the desired file.

What am I missing? How is saving a file as "XYZ" different from saving a file "original game as named upon creation."? Lets say I named the file Game2020 upon creation. Let's say I wanted to save it again the top of the first inning of the first game 1.1A, as in Game2020 1.1A. Then the bottom of the first 1.1B. Then the top of the second 1.2A. And so on. Each save is just a few second save of the file. Each one replaces the previous one in memory. Only the most recent save is active. The rest are just dormant files. Again, what am I missing?

Last edited by SandmanRivera; 04-21-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #24
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanRivera View Post
Ok, maybe we are getting somewhere.

I am talking about have multiple copies of the game, but I would be saving them one at a time, probably an AB or two or three apart. Maybe even a half-inning apart. So I might save one before inning 1. Save another before the bottom of the inning. Another at the top of the 2nd inning. And so on.

I would think each time I save the file would be no different than any other time I save the file. A few seconds. And after a while there would be several files of different but related names in the directory.

Then if I want to go back one or two versions, I just load the desired file.

What am I missing?
You're asking for them to write a sort of T-SQL style approach to saving, just so you can save-scum the way you want to. As a developer, that is a *lot* of work. Like, on the level of changing the shape of the models that are currently being used in the game levels of work. No, it's not just a simple little thing someone could just code over a week or two and pop in. What's more, it's not only completely useless for MP leagues and PT, it's something you'd actually need to always have off when you're playing in those modes, because the ability to save-scum in MP, even as the commissioner, would be abused.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #25
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

The problem is that the reason you can "Save" pretty quickly is that the game has a folder that holds most of the information already (Player Images, Logos, Historical Statistics, Salary Information, you name it). A "Save" is only re-writing a portion of that stuff, essentially the stuff that has changed since the last Save. A "Save As" needs to re-write EVERYTHING with the new name. That is going to take a LONG time compared to a regular Save.. That is what is happening when you do a Backup.

Also, you can definitely have multiple backups of the same game. You just need to create new folders.

Last edited by Rain King; 04-21-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #26
SandmanRivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I deleted this message because I got an adequate answer from Rain King.

Last edited by SandmanRivera; 04-21-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #27
SandmanRivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Rain King

"A "Save As" needs to re-write EVERYTHING with the new name."

THANKS!

When you are talking about multiple back-ups with multiple folders, how does that work? I know that during Restore you name a directory for the file to go to, but I don't recall being able to name a folder when the back-up is being created. I admit I am a bit confused by the whole Back-up mechanism.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #28
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Whenever you create a backup it lets you choose to create a new folder and name it. You can also maneuver around and decide where to Save that folder.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #29
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
Whenever you create a backup it lets you choose to create a new folder and name it. You can also maneuver around and decide where to Save that folder.
Have been reading this thread and thought I was wasting my time until I saw this.
Wow, I have been playing this game for years and it never occurred to me to try the new folder on backup. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks Rain King, This is a nice little feature.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #30
SandmanRivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Rain King

"Whenever you create a backup it lets you choose to create a new folder and name it. You can also maneuver around and decide where to Save that folder."

I'm toying with that. That may work. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #31
andyhdz
All Star Starter

A better undo process...

1. Play your game.
3. After every half inning or inning or whenever you approve exit the game. Save your league and reenter the game and continue playing.
4. If something happens during the half inning that you don't like hit ctrl alt delete and kill the ootp process. This will not save the error or mistake.
5. Restart ootp and load the league. You can then renterer the game from the last saved point that you approved.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #32
SandmanRivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'll try that andyhdz!