Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > OOTP 23 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 23 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
Braden
Major Leagues

Complete Negro League

How do I start a New Historical Game for the 1929 Negro League and get both the American & National Leagues. Every time I try, I only get the National. I got through the whole process and to add a division for the American Negro League, none of the teams are there to be selected.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
How do I start a New Historical Game for the 1929 Negro League and get both the American & National Leagues. Every time I try, I only get the National. I got through the whole process and to add a division for the American Negro League, none of the teams are there to be selected.
Negro Leagues included in OOTP do not strictly follow historical. For example, the 1929 Negro National League, per Seamheads.com, included 7 teams. Those 7 teams, plus the independent Nashville Elite Giants are included in OOTP's NNL. I can't say for sure, but I believe this was done simply to have an even number of teams in the league...

The NAL does not appear in OOTP until 1937. I'm not sure why this is, but it might have something to do with the available data at the time of OOTP's implementation of Negro Leagues (which I believe was OOTP 17). I know that data is available for NAL teams prior to 1937 from the source data that OOTP uses for minor leagues. However, I think - but am not sure - that for NeL's - OOTP instead uses data from Seamheads. So perhaps at the time, Seamheads' data was not available for those seasons...

The above is mostly just semi-educated conjecture... I believe the data guru on this was Spritze, who is unfortunately no longer with us.

I will see if I can find out more info...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
Braden
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Negro Leagues included in OOTP do not strictly follow historical. For example, the 1929 Negro National League, per Seamheads.com, included 7 teams. Those 7 teams, plus the independent Nashville Elite Giants are included in OOTP's NNL. I can't say for sure, but I believe this was done simply to have an even number of teams in the league...

The NAL does not appear in OOTP until 1937. I'm not sure why this is, but it might have something to do with the available data at the time of OOTP's implementation of Negro Leagues (which I believe was OOTP 17). I know that data is available for NAL teams prior to 1937 from the source data that OOTP uses for minor leagues. However, I think - but am not sure - that for NeL's - OOTP instead uses data from Seamheads. So perhaps at the time, Seamheads' data was not available for those seasons...

The above is mostly just semi-educated conjecture... I believe the data guru on this was Spritze, who is unfortunately no longer with us.

I will see if I can find out more info...

So, since I started in 1929 and have it set to progress, as each season start it will add/delete team and 1937 I will have American & National? Is that correct?

I aprreciate your help on this as I really enjoy the Negro League.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
So, since I started in 1929 and have it set to progress, as each season start it will add/delete team and 1937 I will have American & National? Is that correct?

I aprreciate your help on this as I really enjoy the Negro League.
From 1929 thru 1931 (and since 1920, if you had started earlier; just fy), and from 1933-1948, you'd have the NNL. You'd have the NAL from 1937-1950. And in 1932 you'd have the East-West League.

You may or may not be aware that the 1920-31 NNL folded after the '31 season due to economics (Depression). A new NNL was started for the 1933 season... In case you were wondering why there is no 1932 NNL in OOTP

Here's what happens in OOTP with your 1931 NNL teams:

Chicago American Giants - gone in 1932 but will reappear in the 1933 NNL
Cleveland Cubs - gone in 1932 but will relocate to Nashville for 1933 in NNL; remain in NNL thru 1950 after moving to Columbus in 1935, Washington DC in 1936, and then Baltimore in 1938
Detroit Stars - fold
Havana Cubans - the only 1931 NNL club to move to the E/W Lg in 1932 (disappears after '32)
Indianapolis ABCs - gone in 1932 but reappears in 1933 NNL; only exists for '31 & '33
Kansas City Monarchs - doesn't reappear until 1937 NAL and remains, thru 1950 (in real life they were and independent team from '32 thru '36)
Louisville White Sox - folds; only existed in 1931
St. Louis Stars - fold

Again, the above is what happens with these teams in OOTP, not in real life

Last edited by thehef; 01-22-2023 at 10:33 PM. Reason: correction
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote