Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #21
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Well, to be fair, the live start was only possible because we had the data service contract to get live updates for perfect team

The biggest flaws was that it was the first year, so sometimes we literally didn't know what to expect. Thankfully the data provider didn't do something like change up the formats on us, but literally there were many times where we just had to wait and see what the data looked like before we could do anything. So, for example, draft picks, I had no idea if the players would show signed on the teams, be missed entirely, show up separately in the system, have proper IDs associated with them, etc... We just had to wait and see, and then react to what we got. Even stuff like how they handled (or failed to handle) minor league transactions obviously was not good for our use case, but we tried to figure out a way to work with what we got.

But yeah, it was definitely a learning experience. We at least have a year under our belts with it now, so hopefully we can improve further on it going forward.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #22
GeneralCornRowWallace
Minors (Single A)

That's good background, thank you Matt! It's always interesting to get some behind the curtain perspective.

Live Start as a feature has so much potential! I'm looking forward to seeing how you build on it next year and in future releases.
GeneralCornRowWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #23
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

I think the best part about Live Update has been how the ratings can be updated to reflect the current season's actual performances. You can now start the 2019 season from the beginning but the players will perform more like they actually did during this recently concluded season as opposed to going off the pre-season projections. Obviously, once the development engine starts to take over, things will change.

It seems unrealistic to expect all player and personnel changes in the majors and minors to be included. What would be the point of releasing the new version next March if the Live Update did all of that? Plus, it would be very difficult to make it accurate.
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #24
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyVotto View Post
I think the best part about Live Update has been how the ratings can be updated to reflect the current season's actual performances. You can now start the 2019 season from the beginning but the players will perform more like they actually did during this recently concluded season as opposed to going off the pre-season projections. Obviously, once the development engine starts to take over, things will change.

It seems unrealistic to expect all player and personnel changes in the majors and minors to be included. What would be the point of releasing the new version next March if the Live Update did all of that? Plus, it would be very difficult to make it accurate.
I do think it is odd to have it just stop at the end of the regular season though. I believe it should go through to the end of the playoffs so at least stats/championship are accurate. I don't think it should include personnel changes though.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote