Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #21
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I do not think it is an inability to hit anything other than HRs, it is a recognition that with the defensive shifts and more use of fresh arms, getting multiple hits is less likely to happen. Sabermetrics has been saying for quite a while that stealing bases and sacrifice bunts are poor strategy overall, and I think the numbers bear that out.

I think that less aggressive base-running and more emphasis on home runs is the more efficient way to score runs, especially today. Unfortunately it is a style of play that I do not enjoy as much, but the purpose of batting is to score as many runs as possible, so what I prefer doesn't really come into the equation.
Not arguing which way is the best way to score runs.

My point was all about how I enjoy watching the game and why I don't watch it much anymore.

Sabremetrics can say what it wants, the game is more fun to watch when there are runners on base. There's more things that can happen than just a HR.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

My point was all about how I enjoy watching the game and why I don't watch it much anymore.

Sabremetrics can say what it wants, the game is more fun to watch when there are runners on base. There's more things that can happen than just a HR.
Have to agree!

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #23
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

Yeah, that's what a lot of the "pace of play" discussion ends up being about. It's not just about making pitches happen quicker, but with the increase of walks, strikeouts, and HR, the number of balls in play is at an all-time low. At least if you force teams to try to put the ball in play, there's a little excitement wondering what will happen, if the fielder can catch up to the ball, if the runner tries for the extra base, etc...
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #24
Anyone
Major Leagues

I think managers should try to get the most out of their teams as they can, and players should do, within the rules, whatever it takes to help their teams win.

I like innovative strategies like shifts and openers.

I definitely think the game is turning into too much HR or K (sometimes walks) and not enough balls put in play-- but it is the best way to score runs so if I were a manager I'd go for HR's and K's too, so my team would win as much as possible.

But if I were running baseball, there are many things that could be done to make that a worse strategy, and those who run the game should do them. Recalling something Bill James suggested as the trend was starting, a big part of all the home run hitting is the bat speed from thin handled, but big barreled, bats. Bats have a maximum circumference. they also need a minimum circumference, and a minimum weight-- to force the bats in use to be at least as heavy and thick-handled as in the '70's.

There were power hitters in the '70's, so it's not as if it would be the end of power hitting or anything. And there'd be more still, because sabermetrics has helped people see the relative unimportance of batting average relative to power and walks. But there'd be fewer than there are now. And the bigger bats would have less bat speed, but more bat control, so high average hitting would become more possible.

High use of one run strategies-- bunts, base stealing that isn't very high percentage, that sort of thing, should stay low, because using one-run strategies unless within 1 run in the very late innings just costs you wins, as long as there's more power than the dead ball era. No one should ever use a hit and run (as opposed to run and hit) because a hit and run you're making the hitter swing at a bad pitch, which hurts your team a lot more than any gain from starting the runner.

A great thing about ootp is we can play in any "era" we want, so I use stat modifiers from the mid-'90's, when power hitting and K's were just starting to increase so it still feels modern, but they hadn't reached the extremes yet, so putting together rallies was still a big part of the game.

Last edited by Anyone; 10-10-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #25
TomVeal
All Star Starter

In baseball as in war, there are no infallible tactics. In time -- maybe surprisingly soon -- hitters will develop who can both achieve great launch angles/exit velocities and poke balls past the empty side of a shift. If the defense shifts, they'll ring up singles and doubles; if it doesn't, they'll pull the ball.

Changes in tactics don't bother me. What I dislike are artificial efforts to fit the game into some bureaucrat's notion of what he thinks people he's never associated with will like.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:19 AM   #26
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
In baseball as in war, there are no infallible tactics. In time -- maybe surprisingly soon -- hitters will develop who can both achieve great launch angles/exit velocities and poke balls past the empty side of a shift. If the defense shifts, they'll ring up singles and doubles; if it doesn't, they'll pull the ball.

Changes in tactics don't bother me. What I dislike are artificial efforts to fit the game into some bureaucrat's notion of what he thinks people he's never associated with will like.
I actually think those who run the game think people like lots of home runs. Home runs went down significantly (though so did other offense) so they livened the balls (it can't be proven to be intentional, but tests showed the baseballs were livelier).

They absolutely should change whatever about the rules will make the game more fun to watch. People will have different opinions about what that is, and I can't say with certainty that the current era with fewer balls in play turns more people off than it turns on. It turns me off, but I'm not everybody. I think they made a bad choice in bringing back lots of HR's, but they shouldn't just let the game develop and not change rules to get the results people will enjoy.

There are some types of baseball that existed at some point that I think almost everyone would agree wouldn't be enjoyable, like mid-60's baseball with a batting champion hitting .301 and very low scoring. Americans (at least) tend to dislike very low scoring games, a big reason that while soccer is so popular in most of the world, that even with so many children playing it, there are four team sports a lot more popular among Americans.

American football, however, is the most successful sport in modern times. The NFL found a sweet spot in the levels of offense, defense, and scoring, and if it wanders even a bit away from that, the rules get changed to restore it. If pass offense gets stronger, they'll change rules so defenders can hit receivers more and holding is called more often. If pass defense gets stronger. they'll do the opposite.

MLB hasn't found a sweet spot that enough can agree on, but they absolutely should change rules to make the game more entertaining, as best they can.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #27
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Bluenoser, you said three things in recent posts that especially resonated:
Quote:
It's not the strategic changes that bother me. It's the K's & Hr's.
Sorry, but I still remember when Hr's were exciting to watch.
You're on a roll!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #28
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

That's the beauty of this game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I think that less aggressive base-running and more emphasis on home runs is the more efficient way to score runs, especially today. Unfortunately it is a style of play that I do not enjoy as much, but the purpose of batting is to score as many runs as possible, so what I prefer doesn't really come into the equation.
I often fix my league strategy settings in the 20's-70's range for this very reason (I'm 57, so like you remember when). I hate the DH. I think lights at Wrigley are an abomination before God...wait...I'm sounding a bit like this guy... ⬇︎⬇︎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfdl6hNZ9k

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:55 AM   #29
SR000
Minors (Single A)

The strategy as is most saber metrics is major-league centric. The obvious way to then counter hitters striking out is to not worry about defensive play - go with the guys with the bat despite the glove. Then it will be worthwhile to steal, bunt and swing away again. Cause fact is, the stolen base, bunts, moving the run over by putting the ball in play are all better strategies when you don’t have big league gloves in the field or you don’t have good hitters deep into your lineup.
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote