Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #41
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Regarding whale-only tournaments, those would probably be the tournaments without any restrictions at all, I imagine those would be dominated by the stacked teams naturally.
Have you considered having a roster floor in some instances instead of a ceiling? A roster comprised of entirely perfects would be 2500 OVR points, so maybe setting a minimum of 2250 (or something else) could result in a rather exclusive tournament and attract whales to it. And this type of tournament could even be called "whale something something" for flavor.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #42
dbqs
Major Leagues

Oof. I'm excited!

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #43
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

Can't wait for tourneys. It is going to give all of us low level players that have never in PT history pulled a historical diamond or even a top end live diamond a chance to compete on a level playing field.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #44
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Stuff looks great Markus! This will be a heck of a lot of fun I predict.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #45
TheNamelessPoet
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getalife1798 View Post
Thank you for the reply.

Leads me into my next question....say the tournament ends and I don't get a chance to see what my team did during those games since everything is reset...will there be anyway I can view that information? I would like to know how I can improve for the next tournament.
I too am VERY interested in the answer to this.

also, can I use a card on my main PT team AND in a tournament?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #46
allenciox
All Star Reserve

So at any rate, people are posting good requests about tourneys, but I actually prefer that they go ahead with whatever they have as soon as they can. All the improvements can come later ;-)

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #47
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Not a question so much as a comment/concern: salary cap tournaments with a sufficiently large "cap" are likely to have expensive teams using the top possible rotation (100 Cy Young, 100 Walter Johnson, some combination of Maddux/Hoyt/Pedro/Schilling/Walsh for the last three) along with a very weak bench. That kind of a team is probably borderline-unbeatable if the competition mostly has silvers and golds with a few diamonds on the roster; those top starting pitchers have disproportionately more value compared to lower pitchers than do the elite hitters to lesser hitters. I don't think ultra-rare cards should be rewards for this kind of a tournament unless the cap is so low that rotations can't be stacked. Just my two cents, and apologies for clogging up what should be an exciting thread with concerns.
I feel like that's fine personally since there are other tournament type restrictions & that's just one format...plus a user could always in the same tournament decide to go with a strong bench & use that to win instead. There's strategy involved & that should be good for anyone involved. Well, probably good for involvement, since we're all (many of us) here because of baseball strategy.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #48
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
I feel like that's fine personally since there are other tournament type restrictions & that's just one format...plus a user could always in the same tournament decide to go with a strong bench & use that to win instead. There's strategy involved & that should be good for anyone involved. Well, probably good for involvement, since we're all (many of us) here because of baseball strategy.
Consider the following roster in a silver-average tournament (1750 cap, 70 per player), mentioned by the devs:

12 40-rated players

Pitchers:
100 Big Walt
100 Cy Young
100 Ed Walsh
100 SE Maddux
100 Pedro
100 Schilling

Batters:
1B 100 Babe Ruth
2B 100 Honus Wagner
SS 66 Luis Aparicio
3B 100 Boggs
LF 100 Barry
CF 100 Mays
RF 100 Cobb
DH: 40-rated player

That's 12 40s, 12 100s, and one 66 for a total of 1746, just under the cap. If there is nothing in place to prevent these teams from being constructed, this *will* happen and it will be the best team in that format. It won't matter how good your bench is, or how good your strategy is, or if you've optimized your lineups and rotation or not. You'll just lose and that'll be the end of it.

I am personally in favor of the quota strategy on roster limits: You can only have 1 Perfect, 3 Diamond, 5 Gold, 7 Silver, 9 Bronze or lower. Or, just ban the use of irons in roster-cap tournaments.

EDIT: The quota strategy is still possibly insufficient, since those perfects just turn into Big Walt, Eppa Rixey, Hoyt, Marquard, Ichiro, Sisler, Pudge, Maddux, Carew, and a couple silvers to fill out the roster, which might cause the meta to get stale etc. This is going to be a problem no matter what, the devs just have to decide on the best strategy for it. Probably the most interesting tournaments are ones which restrict the usage of diamonds and perfects entirely, but that's just my opinion.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 09-09-2019 at 07:22 PM.
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #49
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Metas will always emerge. My hope is that tournament requirements and available cards get fine tuned to maximize choices available with the metas, and I don't necessarily expect this to be completed in the first pass.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #50
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

For a longer term approach on tournament balance, I think taking the approach of player-specific salary values is the best and most flexible way to balance the format. The devs can be data driven about this; just start with salary=OVR, look at play rates for each card, then assign a new Salary stat to each player.

It's nontrivial to implement, but this is a feature we see in other Ultimate Team games in salary cap modes, and it really has to be done if we want truly competitive salaried tournaments.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #51
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
For a longer term approach on tournament balance, I think taking the approach of player-specific salary values is the best and most flexible way to balance the format. The devs can be data driven about this; just start with salary=OVR, look at play rates for each card, then assign a new Salary stat to each player.

It's nontrivial to implement, but this is a feature we see in other Ultimate Team games in salary cap modes, and it really has to be done if we want truly competitive salaried tournaments.
Even a formula to set the salary based on ratings and tune it so the elite cards are very pricey to field in a capped tourney.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #52
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Metas will always emerge. My hope is that tournament requirements and available cards get fine tuned to maximize choices available with the metas, and I don't necessarily expect this to be completed in the first pass.
Yes, this will be an ongoing process. For example, the 70 per card on average stated as an example for the restricted tournaments is probably way too high.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #53
StatMan22
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Yes, this will be an ongoing process. For example, the 70 per card on average stated as an example for the restricted tournaments is probably way too high.
Would a restricted Tournament with smaller rosters be considered? Maybe rosters of 20-22 to eliminate some of those roster positions that folks may waste on 40-rated players? This would limit our ability to be creative with platoons and such, but might be an interesting alternative option to full-roster tournaments.

This also might open up some interesting strategies around bullpen management, multi-positional players, etc.

StatMan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #54
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

So excited for this! There are details that people will inevitably complain about (schedules, training, Cy Young, etc.), but I think the majority of us just want to see it as soon as possible in any form rather than continue to wait.

That said, I echo those who are asking for the salary cap tournies to be the flagship tournies with the best rewards. I know you want to give whales a reason to spend and giving the best rewards to the open tournies seems the obvious best way to do that. I don't think it's that obvious though.

The mega whales that can afford the best open tourny team (which costs thousands of dollars) will spend regardless, but tournies are an opportunity to push people to spend more than they would otherwise. You can push them to spend for the best and most sustainable reason - they're having fun! I don't think anyone thinks the open tournies sound like the most fun. The appeal of the tournies are the new formats that are different from leagues and require strategies that aren't just fork-out-for-the-best-player-at-each-position.

Maybe I'm wrong. I, as someone who has spent hundreds (not thousands) and could spend more, wont be spending more to try to compete in open tournies. If I would, I'd already have done so to compete against the mega-whales in perfect.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #55
yno88
Minors (Double A)

I'm getting real tired of getting my ass kicked by wallet warriors too.

yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #56
wikex004
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yno88 View Post
I'm getting real tired of getting my ass kicked by wallet warriors too.

Yes, some teams just dominate Perfect Leagues with stacccccked rosters. Leagues would really benefit from a level above Perfect. Could that be possible? It might really separate the whales from a SUPER competitive Perfect league.

OOTP is great and tournaments sound excellent! Thank you!

Last edited by wikex004; 09-13-2019 at 06:46 PM.
wikex004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #57
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikex004 View Post
Yes, some teams just dominate Perfect Leagues with stacccccked rosters. Leagues would really benefit from a level above Perfect. Could that be possible? It might really separate the whales from a SUPER competitive Perfect league.
Yup, this is something we debate for next year's version.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #58
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think if there's just another level, it'll be the same experience for players, just take an extra year or two to move up.

What would be cool for everyone is a Champions League, where Perfect League winners compete for the ultimate bragging rights. Only the winner gets to stay, and the rest are relegated back down to Perfect. And the new Perfect Series winners move up.

This would make Perfect a bit more competitive for the average Joe, and give the whales a huge prize to shoot for every week.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #59
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikex004 View Post

OOTP is great and tournaments sound excellent! Thank you!
Quote:

Please please add more levels!
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #60
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead1964 View Post
Please please add more levels!
I like to segregate teams by the number of perfect titles. If you won 2 or more perfect titles you should be in a league of perfect teams with 2 or more perfect titles.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote