Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #61
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
When you hit a nerve you are probably close to being right with what you posted.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #62
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
When you hit a nerve you are probably close to being right with what you posted.
Nice try, but not even close.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #63
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
lol these "peak" cards are just a different set of back-engine numbers assigned to a meaningless name

there is no realism in mashing 130 years worth of baseball stats together and none should be expected. take the game for what it is, an exercise in evaluating what the numbers presented mean and how to manipulate them
You realize that's just you?

The names are far from meaningless to me & some other players.

There's an option to hide ratings altogether.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #64
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
PT20 is my first year playing PT. Overall I've had a great time but I think most of it is due to falling in with a good group of F2P players. So I think having like-minded communities makes the game much more enjoyable. Anything you can add to the game to make forming/finding/belonging to communities would be a plus.

I like Collections (one of my teams is trying to complete as many as possible; my other teams have completed a couple but not many). I don't particularly like the All-Star or POTM cards, but it doesn't bother me much that they exist. Most of my teams use historical cards but it's too difficult to get those types of cards from packs. And I wish there were more decent to good historical relievers!

Edit to say: I forgot to say I don't particularly like the peak cards. It's obvious the fielding on those cards is fudged to be worse than it should be, otherwise people would only use the peak card for a player! Maybe the peak cards should be changed to use a 3-year average performance from the peak of a player's career or some such.
Sometimes you can't afford the peak, ...I'm not sure it's fudged to even things out, just not peak defensively.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #65
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Win more championships. It never gets old.
Ha

Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #66
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I am currently battling the team that is #4 in wins in the entire PT universe. They have 13 championships and I have three. They have more perfect cards on their reserve roster than I have in total. I am only 1.5 games back. Don't try to tell me that I am bored and not having fun. There's always someone bigger than you to take down.
Your personal conception of endgame content is not necessarily the best or most appealing way to think about it. The average PL championship winner isn't going to join or ever know about the whale league. And even if they did, the people in diamond, gold, silver, etc. don't necessarily know about it. But if the devs post a big, bold LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONS in the universe screen, it's an obvious chaser for everyone at every level. And specific recognition is important too. Imagine if the whale league got a special Perfect League WS badge, or if their name was announced by the devs each week to everyone in the PT universe. Recognition is very important in competitive games at high levels.

Just because you are finding your own endgame content doesn't mean there isn't a need for specifically designed endgame content. Anecdotes are the absolute worst evidence to use when thinking about game design.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #67
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
Just because you are finding your own endgame content doesn't mean there isn't a need for specifically designed endgame content. Anecdotes are the absolute worst evidence to use when thinking about game design.
Ok, obviously the no-money crowd still has too much envy to hear how the rest of the player base feels about the game. This is certainly one aspect of the game that has not changed from version 19. See you next year.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #68
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Peak Cards are as real as the cards for dead ball era power hitters.

Let's all be a little more consistent with our demands for statistical realism, shall we?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 08-14-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #69
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Ok, obviously the no-money crowd still has too much envy to hear how the rest of the player base feels about the game. This is certainly one aspect of the game that has not changed from version 19. See you next year.
I read his post as being about community involvement (ie forum and discord), not about the difference between F2P and P2W.

Features such as card lists or theme leagues are nice, but until they are actually implemented in game, they are merely perks for out-of-game participation.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 08-14-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #70
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I play in a FTP league because I like a well-defined ruleset in terms of resources. I like maximizing performance under limited resources; that's how I play games like this. Others like playing the game under an absolutist point of view, and going to be the best if the best. I think that's interesting but it's just not my cup of tea.

That we have different preferences for style of play is totally irrelevant. Good game design caters to the needs of the entire playerbase. I don't even particularly care if a league of champions meant my F2P team getting stomped. It's the principle of an accessible and recognized next level that is interesting to me, and to lots of players.

Why do you think people like Valve and Riot and Blizzard fund big fancy million dollar tournaments? Even for players that will *never* reach that level, it provides a goal to strive for. When I play hearthstone and play competitively, I have something to strive for that has motivated me both when I played F2P amd when I turned the corner and invested a bit more to be competitive. The endgame chaser is an important feature in F2P game design. And for a game like this where money does help be directly competitive if you know how to use it, it's even more relevant.

If you want to speak from perspective as a whale, that's okay, I understand that's how you like playing the game. But useful game design feedback should cater to a much broader playerbase than your personal experience.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #71
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Peak Cards are as real as the cards for dead ball era power hitters.

Let's all be a little more consistent with our demands for statistical realism, shall we?
For the record, I brought that up as well...
Didn't mind his dingers but felt Shoeless Joe was striking out a wee bit way too much. Not that either was a demand, but consistent.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #72
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
Collections -- I don't understand how anybody hates these. There's stuff in it for whales. There's stuff in it for theme teams. There's stuff in it that's just fun to collect. And, most importantly, there's a TON of stuff in it for F2P players. Card rewards (Hello Dykstra!), lots of different kinds of packs, and a bunch of bench players who can provide playoff depth and also tournament options. Just a great feature overall, I'm convinced that anybody who dislikes this is just impatient or is not doing enough research.
I dislike how these impacted the sticker price of various cards. Supply hasn't caught up with demand on many of them. Waiting around for missing cards to appear in the AH isn't fun either. I guess that makes me impatient, but it would be more fun if you could sit down, and in one sitting, knock a couple collections out instead of slowly and strategically overpaying over the course of weeks and months. Searching for the same card for weeks and seeing the [astronomical] price never come down.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:19 AM   #73
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

The missions have been better than expected. A great way for ftpers to get useful cards.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #74
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I will take offense for equating PEAK cards with steroids and thus cheating. They are card with stats like any other, and using them is fair and legit. Perhaps the two gentlemen could find a way to deal with them or get these cards themselves instead of beating the same thoroughly dead horse again and again in this thread.
Hush, I said what I mean...Everything to do with enhanced performance in common, nothing to do with cheating.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #75
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

The missions have been better than expected. A great way for ftpers to get useful cards.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 AM   #76
osborneman
Minors (Single A)

My 2 cents:

1. Collections are great, the strategies that others have outlined in terms of calculating the value of the inputs and the outputs have worked wonders for me!

2. I like POTM, Live and All-Star Game cards. More variety is good. Even Future Legends are fine IMO, since it gets more players into the game that fans love and have emotional investments in.

The only type I'm not a huge fan of is PEAK cards. I think they should be replaced with a year range, instead of the nebulous term "Peak." I want to know exactly what years this represents. Yes, I understand that in the end these are all just numbers, but in the sense that they represent something I want them to represent something that actually happened.

Does that sorta contradict what I said with regards to Future Legend cards? A little, but while we can speculate about the future, we can't do so about the past and to me that's the difference.

Go Giants!
osborneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #77
daves
Hall Of Famer

I do not play online video games like FIFA or some others. This is the first time I experienced collections. I regret completing a collection and being stuck with cards I cannot sell. Do all games lock players after a collection is complete?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #78
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I do not play online video games like FIFA or some others. This is the first time I experienced collections. I regret completing a collection and being stuck with cards I cannot sell. Do all games lock players after a collection is complete?
Yes, they're called "NAT players" (Not Auctionable or Tradeable) elsewhere. Just be happy that collections rewards are auctionable, which is not always the case in other UltimateTeam games.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #79
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Yes, you receive an untradeable version of the card as a reward for completing the collection. The cards you submitted for the collection are gone from your team (not locked). However, the cost of the collection and resulting untradeable card is less than if you were to buy a similar card off the market.

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #80
Mudster
Major Leagues

As a player who has put more money into buying the game itself than I've put into PT, I don't understand the dislike that the whales are getting. They keep the ball rolling for OOTP Developments. We FTP guys do very little for them in comparison. That being said, we all have our roles to keep the in game economy rolling. For the FTP people, don't say we have no chance against these guys....in PT19, I just won my first Perfect League championship with a FAR inferior lineup to the last two teams I played. It probably falls under the "blind squirrel finds a nut" saying, but that was sweeter than any other championship I had yet to win. This team was a constant losing team and I made one change to them...I added the 64 Aparacio to my roster and starting lineup. A little defense went a long ways.
Mudster is offline   Reply With Quote