Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations Discuss historical and fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:25 PM   #1
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Negro League Players without the Negro Leagues

Hi everyone! I'm wanting to do a run in 1920 with the Negro Leagues included and no color barrier; however, I don't want to just able to buy these players. I'd rather there be a draft or some mechanism for the initial round. If I deleted the teams, would it still add new Negro Leaguers as time progresses? I just want there to be some balance with many teams getting a chance at some of the high talent options.
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:41 PM   #2
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

As far as I'm aware, if you want them in it's kind of an all-or-none deal. You can delete the leagues, sure, but they will reappear every year according to history.

They basically function as minor leagues, so if you have a Draft enabled and the color bar OFF then they should just appear in the Draft for their rookie season like all MiLBers and MLBers.

I've not much experience in this regard and have always just added them manually into an MLB structure or whatever setup is in place, so I might be wrong. Hopefully someone better-informed chimes in to clarify. Paging LansdowneSt!

G
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:33 PM   #3
thehef
Hall Of Famer

What you can do is remove each instance (for every season you want to play, from 1920 thru 1948) of the Negro Leagues in the milbleagues.csv file. Now, if you start your league with the 1920 season, the Negro Leagues will be there and you'll have to manually delete it. But for all subsequent seasons, the Negro Leagues will not exist in your game. If, however, you start with 1919 or earlier, the NeLg will never appear and you won't have to delete anything...

I would highly recommend a) making a backup copy of the milbleagues.csv file before monkeying with it, and b) testing this out before immersing yourself in your league. IOW, before you spend time on uniforms, ballcaps, facegens, ballparks, and digging into it game by game, just create a simple league (using the modified csv file), make only the selections and changes that are necessary for it to run (your draft and so forth), and then just let it run a full year. Stop and check things out. Run another year, etc. And if things look good, you're all set!
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:23 PM   #4
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
What you can do is remove each instance (for every season you want to play, from 1920 thru 1948) of the Negro Leagues in the milbleagues.csv file. Now, if you start your league with the 1920 season, the Negro Leagues will be there and you'll have to manually delete it. But for all subsequent seasons, the Negro Leagues will not exist in your game. If, however, you start with 1919 or earlier, the NeLg will never appear and you won't have to delete anything...

I would highly recommend a) making a backup copy of the milbleagues.csv file before monkeying with it, and b) testing this out before immersing yourself in your league. IOW, before you spend time on uniforms, ballcaps, facegens, ballparks, and digging into it game by game, just create a simple league (using the modified csv file), make only the selections and changes that are necessary for it to run (your draft and so forth), and then just let it run a full year. Stop and check things out. Run another year, etc. And if things look good, you're all set!
Nice going hef, on point as always.

G
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #5
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymann View Post
As far as I'm aware, if you want them in it's kind of an all-or-none deal. You can delete the leagues, sure, but they will reappear every year according to history.

They basically function as minor leagues, so if you have a Draft enabled and the color bar OFF then they should just appear in the Draft for their rookie season like all MiLBers and MLBers.

I've not much experience in this regard and have always just added them manually into an MLB structure or whatever setup is in place, so I might be wrong. Hopefully someone better-informed chimes in to clarify. Paging LansdowneSt!

G
So if I understand you correctly, beyond the initial season, the players will appear in the Negro League draft, or the major league draft?
Old 12-09-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post

What would happen to the Negro League players if I did this? If I picked the 1919 or 1920 start, trying either method.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #7
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
What would happen to the Negro League players if I did this? If I picked the 1919 or 1920 start, trying either method.
They will import to the game as free agents. I don't know about drafts because I never use those, but I'm assuming if you had a draft set up for incoming players, they would be draft-eligible.

Even if you make no changes, Negro League players will import as free agents if you start in 1919 because the Negro League doesn't appear in OOTP until 1920. So basically, by removing the NeL's from the milbleagues.csv file, 1920-1948 will be treated like 1919. If that makes sense...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:52 AM   #8
AmelieMurphy
Bat Boy

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Last edited by AmelieMurphy; 04-10-2024 at 08:15 AM.
AmelieMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you everyone!