Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > OOTP 23 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 23 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2022 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

No Trade deadline

I usually have a trade deadline on July 31, then allow waiver trades after that. I am considering instead of waiver trades moving the deadline to Oct 1 (or the end of the season) has anyone else tried something similar? What do you think the effect would be?

Do not hurt where holding is enough,
Do Not wound where hurting is enough
Do not maim where wounding is enough,
and kill not where maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill.
-Berek Halfhand
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

I have considered this, but have not done it yet. So I’m curious if anyone has tried it.

It can be frustrating to use the waiver process after the deadline. Most players are not going to sneak through without a claim. The exception might be a mediocre high-priced player, where no one wants to inherit the salary (except the other team in the pending deal - probably because of an agreement to pay a chunk of salary to get rid of the guy).

If I did away with the July 31 deadline, which seems early, I would still have one, probably August 31. I don’t want teams making trades in the heat of the pennant race. That seems unfair.

Even with the July deadline, the 2021 Braves, languishing out of contention, essentially acquired a new outfield. That seems wrong. But it would be a whole lot worse on August 31 or September 30, for sure.

One issue with the July 31 deadline is the potential for “rental” of pending free agents, where the guy’s contract expires at the end of the year, and his team, presumably out of contention, wants to get a little something, from a team, presumably still in contention, that could use the player for two months. That leads to some odd deals and temporary heroes (as with the 2021 Braves).

I gather the purpose of the July 31 deadline is to freeze rosters to some extent. The idea of “dance with the fella what brung ya”. The unintended consequence has been furious deals up to the deadline, contenders acquiring players and also-rans shedding them.

Last edited by Pelican; 12-17-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:24 PM   #3
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

My worry would be whether the AI is designed to understand it. Hopefully they aren't going to give up top prospects for a week's worth of a pending free agent or something. So, I would recommend testing that out. It may be fine.

I tend to prefer to go the other way. I lock trading on Opening Day and then allow a 15-day in season window around the halfway point of the season. The idea is for it to be similar to the transfer window in soccer.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:31 PM   #4
Bobfather
All Star Starter

One reason I am thinking about this is that the AI hardly ever trades major league or 40 man players, even with each other. It will with me if I initiate it. This has gone on for 19 seasons. Is there a setting I am missing?

Do not hurt where holding is enough,
Do Not wound where hurting is enough
Do not maim where wounding is enough,
and kill not where maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill.
-Berek Halfhand
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:37 PM   #5
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

There is a Trade Frequency setting.

League Settings --> Rules --> Trading Rules
Old 07-26-2023, 01:41 PM   #6
wayne4948
Bat Boy

Don't Want Trade Deadline At All

I want to get rid of the trading deadline for good. Is there a way to do that?
wayne4948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:29 AM   #7
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

There isn't an option to turn it off. You could try setting it for 12/31. I *think* the game would adjust it to the next year every time your calendar turns over, but I would recommend testing that.