Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-02-2024, 12:27 AM   #61
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

The wnba is full of racism. It's disgusting. They need to deal with it. The assaulter should receive no less than a 1 season ban.
"Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."—Olenna Tyrell
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 09:39 AM   #62
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I don't get all of this whining & crying every tie someone gets physical w/Clark.
Lots of white knights trying to protect the poor delicate Iowa flower.

That sort of checking goes on all the time in the W. Here's a similar play in which Diana Taurasi hits Cheyenne Parker much harder than Clark was hit and wasn't even called for a foul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBURfl1PJqs&t=3s
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #63
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post

That sort of checking goes on all the time in the W. Here's a similar play in which Diana Taurasi hits Cheyenne Parker much harder than Clark was hit and wasn't even called for a foul.

At least CC isn't a coward and looks them in the eye in any confrontation unlike the chicken **** (nobody knows her name ) in yesterdays game that has to go blindside. Who's the flower?

Quote:
"If someone offers an explanation for why something may be why it is without proof then they are blindly defending or making excuses

If someone insults or accuses the devs of incompetence/wrongdoing without proof it’s acceptable.

Never figured that out"
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 11:39 AM   #64
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't get all of this whining & crying every tie someone gets physical w/Clark.
I don't get all of the whining and posting videos when an ump misses a call.

Quote:
"If someone offers an explanation for why something may be why it is without proof then they are blindly defending or making excuses

If someone insults or accuses the devs of incompetence/wrongdoing without proof it’s acceptable.

Never figured that out"
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #65
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:

Agreed. I know that the WNBA popularity has sky-rocketed with her entering the league, but there are other talented players and personalities already in the game. It's not Clark's league and everyone else just lives in it.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:54 PM   #66
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
At least CC isn't a coward and looks them in the eye in any confrontation unlike the chicken **** (nobody knows her name ) in yesterdays game that has to go blindside. Who's the flower?
Very well put!

Not to mention that the full cowardice by the no-name was on display after the game in the post-gamer, when she was asked about the play and said, “I ain’t answering no Caitlin Clark questions.”
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 01:02 PM   #67
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Very well put!

Not to mention that the full cowardice by the no-name was on display after the game in the post-gamer, when she was asked about the play and said, “I ain’t answering no Caitlin Clark questions.”
Even better was the combined six thousand dollar fine for the Chicago team, and Angel Reese, for her refusing to get up and answer questions from the press.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 01:03 PM   #68
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Very well put!

The Sky were fined for failing to ensure that all players comply with league media policies.

Chennedy Carter's foul on Clark was upgraded to a flagrant one.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:25 PM   #69
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Sky were fined for failing to ensure that all players comply with league media policies.
Now this ^ I would rate as questionable. Plenty of times players in one league or another have declined - respectfully or not-so-much - to discuss things on the podium. So it's probably fair to ask if there would've been a fine for a player declining to discuss some non-Clark-related aspect to a game... (At the same time, I can see the WNBA's league office perspective: "Caitlin is bringing lots of eyeballs to the game - for everyone's benefit. Therefore, everyone needs to be on-board with the all phases of marketing!")

Quote:
Chennedy Carter's foul on Clark was upgraded to a flagrant one.
As it should have been. This play happens in another game to another players and it's not a headline. But it was still a cheap shot and at least a flagrant one, worthy of F-2 & ejection consideration (the latter not, obviously, after the fact).

Quote:
And no, not even close. It's all about getting eyeballs on articles. Clicks. CC is the hot item that everyone's paying attention to right now. If you're a sports news source or aggregator, it'd be marketing malpractice to not run a story with a headline that references the cheap shot on CC, even though & as noted above a similar incident involving another player would not get the same attention & result in a similar story.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:13 PM   #70
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Another flagrant one, should have been called on Taurasi. You can see she gave her the shoulder shiver, and completely uncalled for.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:27 PM   #71
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
She wasn't bumped while going for a rebound.

The clock was stopped, and she was ASSAULTED, and smashed to the ground.

I know you're a huge basketball fan..and if you saw the video, and don't think that this was a Flagrant 1, then you're biased.

Upgraded to a Flagrant 1, because it was 100% obvious. NAILED IT!
I didn't say it wasn't a flagrant. It definitely was.

I'm confused as to why people think Clark is getting hit more than any other superstar or treated any worse than any other rookie messiah in sports. Nobody likes a teacher's pet & that is what Clark has become by the media. Of course her opponents are going to come after her. And when you're good, the opponent is going to look to wear you down physically, aka the "Jordan Rules" or "hack a Shaq".

WELCOME TO SPORTS!

It has nothing to do w/racism. It has to do w/human nature. Crown someone before they have conquered a kingdom & they are going to have jealous vets who think the queen has been handed more than what the vets had to slave to earn & you can bet her highness is going to have people on her court looking to cut them down to size.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 05:09 AM   #72
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't a flagrant. It definitely was.

I'm confused as to why people think Clark is getting hit more than any other superstar or treated any worse than any other rookie messiah in sports. Nobody likes a teacher's pet & that is what Clark has become by the media. Of course her opponents are going to come after her. And when you're good, the opponent is going to look to wear you down physically, aka the "Jordan Rules" or "hack a Shaq".

WELCOME TO SPORTS!

It has nothing to do w/racism. It has to do w/human nature. Crown someone before they have conquered a kingdom & they are going to have jealous vets who think the queen has been handed more than what the vets had to slave to earn & you can bet her highness is going to have people on her court looking to cut them down to size.
If you think that there is NOT a racial component to the attacks on Clark, then you and I will have to agree to disagree.

The absolute JOY from Angel Reese, when Clark got knocked down was awful. She's a rookie, too, and has ZERO moral authority to celebrate another rookie being flagrantly fouled.

Clark doesn't need to "be cut down to size." That's absurd, and this belief is the real issue here.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:25 AM   #73
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you think that there is NOT a racial component to the attacks on Clark, then you and I will have to agree to disagree.

The absolute JOY from Angel Reese, when Clark got knocked down was awful. She's a rookie, too, and has ZERO moral authority to celebrate another rookie being flagrantly fouled.

Clark doesn't need to "be cut down to size." That's absurd, and this belief is the real issue here.
Vontaze Burfect got a lot of high 5's when he sent Antonio Brown to the loony pen.

If there is a racial component, then where was the fuss when Taurasi , Stewart, Donne, Ionescu, Bird, Plum & Hammon were playing? Surely if this Clark treatment was due to her race, then other white girls would be able to relate about the same treatment. Why aren't her fellow white rookies Brink, Martin & Sheldon complaining of getting tossed around?

You know why?

Cause they aren't over hyped. Not because they are white.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-03-2024, 11:17 AM   #74
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Vontaze Burfect got a lot of high 5's when he sent Antonio Brown to the loony pen.

If there is a racial component, then where was the fuss when Taurasi , Stewart, Donne, Ionescu, Bird, Plum & Hammon were playing? Surely if this Clark treatment was due to her race, then other white girls would be able to relate about the same treatment. Why aren't her fellow white rookies Brink, Martin & Sheldon complaining of getting tossed around?

You know why?

Cause they aren't over hyped. Not because they are white.
Clark has done NOTHING to hype herself, but she understands that a rising tide lifts all boats.

The other players should be GRATEFUL that Caitlin Clark is now in the league. Their finances will thank her for them.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:26 PM   #75
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

lol this is absolute insanity, implying that the massive amount of hype around Clark should be ignored because, like, she didn't bring it on herself. Come on now. This is a pro sports league. When a rookie comes in with all of this hype, vets are going to try to cut them down. It's not racist any more than it was racist when Isiah froze MJ out of the All-Star Game his rookie year, or when people went after him with hard fouls once it became clear he was a league-leading level scorer.

I think Clark is doing better than the naysayers are saying but come on, we need to put this racism-adjacent bull roar away just because it happens to be a women's league.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 01:13 PM   #76
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Clark has done NOTHING to hype herself, but she understands that a rising tide lifts all boats.

The other players should be GRATEFUL that Caitlin Clark is now in the league. Their finances will thank her for them.
In no way do I imply Clark has done anything to justify the treatment she gets. All I'm saying is what we are seeing is human nature. It's not because she is white. The media is making this look like this is out of the ordinary because they don't want to see Clark become the WNBA's Aaron Rodgers & get the networks get stuck w/a bunch of worthless Fever games.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-03-2024, 01:27 PM   #77
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In no way do I imply Clark has done anything to justify the treatment she gets. All I'm saying is what we are seeing is human nature. It's not because she is white. The media is making this look like this is out of the ordinary because they don't want to see Clark become the WNBA's Aaron Rodgers & get the networks get stuck w/a bunch of worthless Fever games.
I mean, besides this, it feels like we’re just completely forgetting how the league gave guys like Shaq and Larry Bird and Magic all kinds of “welcome to the NBA” style receipts when they came into the league (for Shaq it never really stopped) or else we are latently demanding that, like, WNBA athletes be more “ladylike”. No, you enter a basketball league in the US with this amount of hype, you’re going to have people gunning for you until you prove you can take it. This is how basketball works, and just because this version of the game is played below the rim doesn’t change that fact.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #78
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm confused as to why people think Clark is getting hit more than any other superstar or treated any worse than any other rookie messiah in sports.
People saying that definitely don't know anything about the WNBA. Candace Parker was literally thrown to the floor by Plenette Pierson as a rookie.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:07 PM   #79
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
People saying that definitely don't know anything about the WNBA. Candace Parker was literally thrown to the floor by Plenette Pierson as a rookie.
It happens. I understand that. The WNBA is a thug league, for the most part, and I think CC is trying to change it. Even Taurasi plays with very sharp elbows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9pxiGjqxyU

Last edited by dsvitak; 06-03-2024 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 04:49 PM   #80
pilight
All Star Starter

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a thug league, but it is substantially more physical than the NBA and other popular men's leagues. A lot of factors led to its development in that direction; poor quality officials (especially in the early seasons), a desire by the league to not be seen as soft, some high athleticism/marginal talent players in the early years that set the tone for today, etc. They've been working to clean it up, but it's not as simple as flipping a light switch.