Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
nayryentuk
Bat Boy

Player Ratings (stars or numbers)

Just curious to see what other players prefer for player ratings. I know the default game settings are set to stars, however I like to use 20-80 to display player ratings and potential.

Which setting do other OOTP players use to display player ratings and potential?

P.S.- Sorry if this is brought up all the time, this is my first day on this forum.
nayryentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I think most of the pros/vets on here hate the stars but I like them. It's a quick and dirty way of quickly identifying your top middle and mediocre players. HOWEVER, it's key that you go into that player and do a deeper analysis using the number ratings of their skills/talents and not just depend on the stars like newbies do at first. So yes to stars but only for the overall rating of the player to get a quick ID of good players.

Last edited by andyhdz; 05-10-2019 at 12:33 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Reed
Hall Of Famer

I just use ratings 1 to 5 because it gives me a little bit of a fog. It lets me know if a player is rated excellent, good, average, poor or terrible. I do not need to know how poor or good they are, just that they are.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the larger the scale you use, the greater resolution you have... to a point.

i've never tried to see how scouting inaccuracy is applied, but even if proportional, you'd still get rounding that causes even greater inaccuracy with a smaller range.

20-80 by 5 is a 13-point scale. 20 and 80 are included.

Stars are an 11-point scale. (halves and 0? or if .5 stars is lowest, it is 10-point scale)

20-80 is a 61-point scale.

when you round up or down on a ~12point scale vs a ~60 point scale that's a huge difference (1/12th vs 1/60th -- 5x heavier change).

fwiw, i use a 20-80 for pot/overall and 1-100 for the ratings. i wish i could have them all at 1-100. if i weren't lazy, i'd get my eyes adjusted to the 20-80 scale just for greater uniformity. it really won't matter much which you choose to use. a few more occasional 'misses' on talent evaluation not caused by anything you can control or avoid is the only difference.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
KentCol
Minors (Triple A)

Have always used 1-10, no stars
KentCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

20-80 by 5
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayryentuk View Post
Just curious to see what other players prefer for player ratings. I know the default game settings are set to stars, however I like to use 20-80 to display player ratings and potential.

Which setting do other OOTP players use to display player ratings and potential?

P.S.- Sorry if this is brought up all the time, this is my first day on this forum.
The different ratings give you more and less precise information

The 1-100 scale is the most precise - there are 100 possible ratings
The stars are the least precise - there are (just) 10 possible ratings

And some people play with the ratings off all together.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #8
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

When you use the stars it gives you a good idea of the player relative to the rest of the league at that position. So there may only be 1 or 2 starting pitchers pitchers at 5 stars in the league, and if you can put a rotation together of pitchers all 3 stars or better you will be in good shape.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #9
Michaelryan
Bat Boy

Question, I'm trying to get the most accurate possible ratings for my own use. I selected commisioner mode.. Is there anything else I need to do? I want something more accurate than head scout and OSA ratings.

Also, when I choose Live Start date.. does that only update MLB player ratings or also MILB and foreign league player ratings?

Last edited by Michaelryan; 01-29-2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: touch up
Michaelryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #10
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

I bounce between 1-5 scale or nothing at all.
Either way.....I enjoy trying to figure if a guy is a dud or a stud on my own.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
OzzyOz23
Minors (Single A)

I use 2 - 8 as an offshoot of 20 - 80 to add in a little fog of war.
OzzyOz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
Thegman0492
Minors (Double A)

Are the ratings suppose to change randomly throughout the season and not just during scouting reports? Mine have changed just from exiting and entering a game in the past. I always create expansion teams and this always happens until OOTP 21. Now just randomly throughout the season and off season. If this is normal than the other teamss' players should change as well?
Thegman0492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

In some ways, the best way to go for many I've seen over the years has been to not use overall ratings at all, and then use a 2-8 scale for component ratings. It gives you a pretty good general idea of a players scouted skills, but it certainly doesn't give the kind of (in someways unrealistic) other rating scales might.

If someone were to use a method such of this, I still think it's imperative to have ratings as the bulk of AI evaluation. I feel something like 55/25/15/5 is still good because it helps the AI, while still allowing for stats to be a reasonable part of player valuation.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #14
Thegman0492
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
In some ways, the best way to go for many I've seen over the years has been to not use overall ratings at all, and then use a 2-8 scale for component ratings. It gives you a pretty good general idea of a players scouted skills, but it certainly doesn't give the kind of (in someways unrealistic) other rating scales might.

If someone were to use a method such of this, I still think it's imperative to have ratings as the bulk of AI evaluation. I feel something like 55/25/15/5 is still good because it helps the AI, while still allowing for stats to be a reasonable part of player valuation.
So I enjoy reading your comments and I see you are a Hall of Famer so you know your stuff. I actually like the star ratings for potential and overall. I use 1 to 100 for all the minor ratings. The ratings are changing but so are other teams' players' ratings. I actually have come to ignore the star ratings and just look at the season stats. I create expansion teams and I like the fact that I start out with basically nothing and try to slowly turn around the team and build up its farm system. I am an Indians fan but the Giants really know how to make stars in real life.

I actually wanted to ask you what is the best way to build up the farm system in OOTP 21?

PS I plan to eventually get OOTP 22.

PPS If you play the game differently than me and thus have no advice, I completely understand.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegman0492 View Post
So I enjoy reading your comments and I see you are a Hall of Famer so you know your stuff. I actually like the star ratings for potential and overall. I use 1 to 100 for all the minor ratings. The ratings are changing but so are other teams' players' ratings. I actually have come to ignore the star ratings and just look at the season stats. I create expansion teams and I like the fact that I start out with basically nothing and try to slowly turn around the team and build up its farm system. I am an Indians fan but the Giants really know how to make stars in real life.

I actually wanted to ask you what is the best way to build up the farm system in OOTP 21?

PS I plan to eventually get OOTP 22.

PPS If you play the game differently than me and thus have no advice, I completely understand.
I would say the best way to build your farm system is through the draft and IAFA signings. (however IAFAs will cost some money). Money is fuel...so you need to be careful how you use it. (depending on your market also). Scouting and development are therefore key in building your farm system. You need to inject a good amount of money into both in order to draft well, and make sure those players reacher exceed their potential. I happen to use TCR at 200...which means there will be a lot of volatility and unpredictability when it comes to prospects. I prefer it this way however, as I feel it's more realistic. I also make sure overall ratings (both current & potential) are off. I use either 20-80, or 2-8 grades as they are both the preffered grading scales of all MLB organizations.

Now, if you are using 2-8, I would argue stats do become that much more valuable. I waffle on this on 2-8, but the AI evaluation definitely benefits from higher ratings weight. However I understand if someone feels they may like something more like 40/30/20/10 with the smaller scale, but also be prepared to see some real chances to game the AI...particularly on trades (even on the maximum difficulty)

Speaking of trades, they are not a good way to build your farm system, as it will cost you over the long haul. I am not saying the odd trade here and there can't help, but don't look it as part of a long term strategy.

So, to sum it up, there are three aspects to building a top farm system IMO.

1. $$$ in scouting & development
2. Draft wisely
3. Have patience

Hope this helps. BTW...OOTP 22 is great!! Take the plunge.

Good Luck.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 08-16-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #16
Thegman0492
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I would say the best way to build your farm system is through the draft and IAFA signings. (however IAFAs will cost some money). Money is fuel...so you need to be careful how you use it. (depending on your market also). Scouting and development are therefore key in building your farm system. You need to inject a good amount of money into both in order to draft well, and make sure those players reacher exceed their potential. I happen to use TCR at 200...which means there will be a lot of volatility and unpredictability when it comes to prospects. I prefer it this way however, as I feel it's more realistic. I also make sure overall ratings (both current & potential) are off. I use either 20-80, or 2-8 grades as they are both the preffered grading scales of all MLB organizations.

Now, if you are using 2-8, I would argue stats do become that much more valuable. I waffle on this on 2-8, but the AI evaluation definitely benefits from higher ratings weight. However I understand if someone feels they may like something more like 40/30/20/10 with the smaller scale, but also be prepared to see some real chances to game the AI...particularly on trades (even on the maximum difficulty)

Speaking of trades, they are not a good way to build your farm system, as it will cost you over the long haul. I am not saying the odd trade here and there can't help, but don't look it as part of a long term strategy.

So, to sum it up, there are three aspects to building a top farm system IMO.

1. $$$ in scouting & development
2. Draft wisely
3. Have patience

Hope this helps. BTW...OOTP 22 is great!! Take the plunge.

Good Luck.
Thank you for the information. When I get 22, I will turn off overall and potential ratings. Just need to know how to do that. Now for the rest of the ratings, you marked it 2 to 8. This is the most accurate way to play the game? what do you have scouting set as? Also, I heard that the manager is more important in 22. Is that true and how so? Finally:

Scouting and development are therefore key in building your farm system. You need to inject a good amount of money into both in order to draft well, and make sure those players reacher exceed their potential. I happen to use TCR at 200...which means there will be a lot of volatility and unpredictability when it comes to prospects.

What does this mean and how do I set it up for this in 22? Also what amount should I put scouting and development at 40 million, 100 million,etc?

Thanks again!

PS I will be doing this all for an expansion team with a small market.