Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 08-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
ctorg
Global Moderator

Johnson Dulle and the Post-Apocalypse

I'd been sitting around trying to think of an original concept for a fictional league so that I could do a dynasty report, which I've been meaning to do for some time. I finally hit upon the idea of combining a baseball dynasty with a story idea I had. What follows here is a bit of an experiment. It may or may not work, but it will be an interesting ride.

This is a series of letters written by Johnson Dulle, a baseball player in the far future. Most of the scenario will come out from what is in his letters, but let me give you some background so that you're not completely lost.

We begin in the year 121 - that is, 121 years after humanity returned to the ravaged surface of the earth from its burrows far below, where they lived for hundreds of years. A great war with strange new weapons has scarred the planet, but nature has reclaimed much of it again. The old cities are all gone, reduced to slag or rubble, along with much of what was molded by humans. Food is difficult to produce from the ruined soil, and humans must rely on a substance called stonefood for survival.

There are three nations where the eastern half of the United States once was (the western half is unlivable): the Central States (CSA), the largest in area, covers everything west of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. The United States (USA), the smallest, is basically everything from Pennsylvania to Maine. The Southern States (SSA) comprise everything south of the Ohio and Pennsylvania and west of the Mississippi. These countries work cooperatively.

The end of the first century PR (post return) saw a return of all things 20th century, probably the most well documented time in human history. In the year 101, several baseball leagues joined together to form a new Major League. The Continental League formed in the CSA, while the Union League combined leagues in the SSA and USA. The two leagues decided to meet for a new "World Series" in the fall.

There are some differences between our modern baseball structure and the one that exists in this world, but that will come out in the narrative. The narrative itself will have as much to do with the world as baseball. Hopefully, this will work well. I have already written several seasons' worth of letters, so I am ahead of the game. I will post them here gradually. I hope there are some surprises in the narrative, but most of all I hope you as readers enjoy it.

And with that, here are the letters of Johnson Dulle...

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
ctorg
Global Moderator

Draft Tryouts

2/15/121

Jennie,

I write to you now from a dormitory room that I share with four other boys, all of us with a common dream of playing for a professional baseball team. We have come to our moment of truth. There are thousands of us here. I did not expect so many, and apparently neither did they. Four boys to a room is quite a bit more cramped than any of us would like, and several fights have broken out already. Thankfully, the three fellows in my room are not so hostile.

It has taken so much work from so many people to get me here. I’m grateful and honored to have the support of the high school team, Coach Durner, you, my parents, Josim, and everyone else. After all the years of saying I would try out for the draft one day, I am finally here, doing it.

They’re keeping us busy. The schedule is packed with things to do every day, mostly showing the scouts what we’ve got and why we deserve to be here.

Tonight we will attend a speech given by Del Heard. I’m very excited about this, as he was one of my favorite players when I was younger, even if he was playing for Long Island at that point hin his career. I still have a ball my father got signed by him back when he played for Centropolis. Apparently he’s president of the UL now, which I had no idea about. I’ll have to pay more attention in the future.

The real work begins tomorrow. They have us scheduled to be out in the field from morning through evening, with just a couple of breaks to eat. Only eighty will be chosen for the draft, five per team. The rest will be sent home over the course of the four days here. I can’t say that I am not nervous, but I feel confident that I can make it through the four days and be one of the eighty. I haven’t seen many other shortstops here, so that may be an advantage for me.

I know you wanted me to tell you about the weather. It’s actually quite warm here. Over seventy degrees. I can’t believe it’s February. I suppose that is why they have the tryout camp so far south.

The only problem is getting all the way down here. I suppose I shouldn’t complain. If I make a team, I’ll be riding trains a whole lot more. I slept for much of the ride anyway. It strikes me that I’d bever been more than forty miles from Centropolis, and now I’m over a thousand miles away. It’s like a foreign land. I feel like I’m dreaming.

Tomorrow is going to be crazy. I’m glad I have tonight to settle in and unwind a bit. Please send luck my way. I look forward to seeing your beautiful face when I return, hopefully with good news.

Love,
Johnson

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
Old 08-24-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
ctorg
Global Moderator

Narrowing the field

2/17/121

Josim,

This has been quite a ride so far! I’ve just completed day two and I’m still here. A good half of the fellows who came have been sent home already. There are a thousand or so left. That means I’ve got an eight percent chance of being in the final eighty.

We’ve been worked hard. We played three simulation games in each of the first two days in addition to hitting and fielding drills. Scouts from all the teams watch us from the sidelines. It’s a lot of pressure, and some of the boys have left without being asked. I guess it was too much for them. I can’t even imagine doing that.

I hit a home run today. I totally connected with the ball and sent it onto the next field. I’m actually 15-for-30 in the games so far, which is better than most. Of course, they’re more concerned with your mechanics and your poise than they are with your success here. I’ve felt good and strong, and I think I look a lot better than most of the fellows here.

If I can just make it through two more days, I will have made it into the draft. And from there, it will be off to some distant minor league team, where I will be turned into a ballplaying machine.

I have to get some rest now. Wish me luck. I’ll do my best to make you proud.

Your friend,
Johnson

Old 08-24-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
ctorg
Global Moderator

Ready for the Draft

2/28/121

Josim,

The draft is tomorrow. I am on pins and needles, wondering who will choose me. Naturally, I’d love to play for Centropolis, but I won’t count on that. There’s a one in sixteen chance they’ll pick me. I at least hope I’m chosen by a UL team and not a CL team. I don’t want to go to some town out west. I’m not enticed by the idea of playing in old Texas, out by the border of the fallout zone. I’d much rather play in the cozier confines of the UL’s Appalachian League. Of course, as I’ve said, I’ll take what they give me, but a man can dream.

Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot to me to know that I have so much support back home. I expect that you will convey this to the rest of the team and let them know how things are going with me here. While I’m excited to go to spring training with whatever team picks me, I really look forward to seeing you, Jennie, and everyone else at home again.

So you want the lowdown? Well, let me tell you who is going to be drafted first, without much doubt. Vess Shoptaw. Remember that name. He’s a 3B from out west. The guy can consistently smash balls out of the park and plays great in the field. It’s intimidating to be in a game with him. I don’t know how early or late I’ll go. The other guys seem to think I’m a first rounder, but I have my doubts. There’s so much talent here.

I have to get going now. We’re getting together for a nice dinner in a few minutes. I hope your mother is feeling better. Being down here for so long, I’ve forgotten how cold it is back in Centropolis. Keep warm, and wish for me a good home team!

Your friend always,

Johnson

Last edited by ctorg; 08-24-2004 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add title
Old 08-24-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
tyner2
Bat Boy

Lovely idea, original and creative
tyner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
ctorg
Global Moderator

Getting Drafted

3/1/121

Jennie,

The big moment finally came today. The draft. Horizon had a surprise first pick, going for Cody Ferelama, a moderately talented CF, over Vess Shoptaw, a real superstar in the making. I think they will regret that one day. Red Forest went second and, quite sanely, chose Shoptaw, whom they probably did not expect to get. New Boston, Sullivantown, and Gulftown each made their picks, and then it was the Long Island Drakes’ turn. The hated Long Island Drakes, whom I cursed in my youth for constantly beating out Centropolis to win the division. The Long Island Drakes, a team currently in transition and rebuilding mode. The Long Island Drakes, who chose me in the first round, sixth overall, and is my new team.

Yes, the team I considered the bane of all good things in my youth, whose symbols I would readily defile, is now the one whose symbols I wear. It is hard to be disappointed, though. I will be playing with a professional team, and it is in the UL, so I don’t have to take a long train ride out west to those frightful places. I won’t be far from home, and perhaps you and my family can come out and see me.

This is the beginning, Jennie. This is the life we imagined. In a couple of years, when I’ve moved up in the ranks, we can get married, settle down, and begin our life together. This is where it starts, Jennie, and I’m very excited. I know it will be a long time before I see you again, but don’t think I won’t be thinking of you every moment.

I’m off now to join my new teammates. I will be travelling with the four other of the Drakes’ training facility nearby, where we will meet the rest of the team. As a first rounder, a lot will be expected of me. I will be taking the field with the likes of Jandi Archios, Clement Raddle, and Allan Major. I may not be at the level where I will play with them in the regular season, but I will relish the chance to play alongside them in spring. I will learn what I can from them and show them what I can do. I will show the scouts that they made the right choice with me, that I am the real thing, that I am worthy of having been selected in the first round.

I will make just $100 per week at the Single A level. If they weren’t paying my room and board, that would probably not be enough to buy food. It goes to $150 per week at Double A and $200 per week at Triple A. Suffice it to say, I will not be rolling in money anytime in the very near future. But if I can get myself to the majors, I would start to see good money. Three full years in the big time and your salary is set by an independent council based on your performance. Three more years and you are a free agent and can demand any price you wish, as long as your talent matches it. Once I make it to the majors, Jennie, then we can start our life together. Then we will see what the future holds.

Love,

Johnson

Last edited by ctorg; 08-24-2004 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Add title
Old 08-24-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyner2
Lovely idea, original and creative
Thanks!

Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
ctorg
Global Moderator

Spring Training

3/30/121

Josim,

Spring training camp has been quite a lot of work. From morning until evening, I’m out on the field with the others, doing drills, playing simulated games, and learning new things. Dannie Brown, a true gentleman, showed me how to position myself better at short. Hosea Tillman gave me some pointers at the plate that helped immensely. After so much success as a youth, it is tempting to believe that I already know enough. After all, I got this far. I wonder how many would be stars fall into that trap, believe themselves to be as good as they need to be, and therefore fail to progress. Well, I will not be one of them.

Long Island’s A team plays in New World Valley, a small town on the Tennessee River. I’ve been told it’s a beautiful place with a great stadium to play in. I look forward to seeing it. I can’t imagine what it must have been like for draftees before the minor leagues were set up, just sitting around waiting to be added to the major league roster, keeping yourself busy with drills and simulated games against teammates. I’m certainly glad I wasn’t born ten years earlier. At least this way, I get to play real games against real opponents on the same level.

So, you say you’d like to hear some gossip regarding the true natures of the various players? I will attempt to provide you with something, though I must say they are all quite upstanding men. Allan Major gets the most respect of any player on the team, appropriately. When you’re 37, you’ve got 193 career wins, and your career ERA is 2.96, you command a lot of respect. He’s not haughty or aloof at all, though. He hangs out in the clubhouse with the other guys. Nickolas Patino is a prankster. You wouldn’t get it from the frightening image he has on the mound, but he laughs more than anyone. Jandi Archios is the most helpful guy in the world. He’ll spend an hour teaching a rookie everything he knows. A great guy. Same with Tillman. Sid Cury is kind of an odd fellow. He doesn’t speak much, and when he does, it’s often a bit hard to understand. I believe he’s nervous around people. Dannie Brown is the team party animal. They say he drinks himself to sleep every night. You can’t tell from his fielding, though you can smell it on him when he sweats.

Well, the teams are splitting up to go their separate ways tomorrow. The major leaguers are headed up to Long Island to start the season against the Senators. I still find it hard to root against my hometown, but I suppose I should. I’m headed to New World Valley with the A club. The AAA club heads to Montauk and the AA club heads to New Birmingham.

Your friend,

Johnson

Old 08-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #9
ctorg
Global Moderator

First Professional Hit

4/1/121

Minerva,

The ball enclosed with this letter is the one that was in play when I got my first professional hit today. It was a single in the third inning, a line drive that just cleared the second baseman’s glove. Unfortunately, we lost the game, but at least I got this out of it. Keep it and show it to your friends if you’d like.

So how is school going, sis? I’m sorry I’m not around to help you with math. Has Elron been able to help you at all? Anyway, I can’t write long. I just wanted to send this to you. I hope you’ll be able to come see me play at some point.

Love,

Johnson

Old 08-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
UngratefulDead
Banned

Very cool, I actually had this idea once for a solo league but I never really went with it.
UngratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngratefulDead
Very cool, I actually had this idea once for a solo league but I never really went with it.
Thanks. I'd been toying with the idea for some time, but have combined it with a little story idea I had, which will gradually begin to show itself.

I've actually already written about 60 of these letters and am currently up to the year 127, but I'm going to post them gradually so as not to be overwhelming.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #12
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

This is good stuff. Yet another dynasty thread to keep my eye on. I played a far-future interplanetary solo league once, but I didn't spend enough time developing it first and lost interest. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

As an aside (and as a westerner), why is it always the west that gets demolished in these wars?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #13
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifspuds
This is good stuff. Yet another dynasty thread to keep my eye on. I played a far-future interplanetary solo league once, but I didn't spend enough time developing it first and lost interest. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

As an aside (and as a westerner), why is it always the west that gets demolished in these wars?
Thanks.

Well, there's good reason for the west to have taken the bulk of it. Really, it's not much worse off than the rest, but the Rocky Mountains are uninhabitable. The reasons will become clear later.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #14
ctorg
Global Moderator

Troubles and a new friend

4/26/121

Mother and Elron,

I apologize for not writing more often. I’ve been struggling to keep up with my schoolwork, and I fear it has taken a toll on my playing here. My father would prefer me to state it the other way around, that baseball is interfering with my work, but you two have always been much more understanding about my goals, for which I am eternally grateful.

I continue to get A’s in my studies, but I am hitting just .182 here at A ball. I’ve had 14 hits in 77 at bats, and haven’t even hit a home run yet. This is much more challenging than anything I faced in high school. Coach Jones says it’s normal for a guy to take time to adjust, but I wonder if he’s not secretly disappointed in his first round pick. Perhaps I’m being too hard on myself, but I dreamt of doing better. This is the first time I’ve faced real adversity in my baseball life. They’ve recently begun starting me at first base instead of short, which I don’t like. I’m far superior a player to Buddy Voltz, who has inexplicably taken my position. It has only been for three games, but I do hope I am able to return to my favored position.

The team, on the other hand, is doing well. We’ve won 17 of 22 games and have worked together well. I’ve found a new friend in pitcher Graig Funsten, last year’s first round pick. He’s helped take the edge off my poor performance. He had a losing record last year, but this year he’s looking fabulous. He says I’ll find my stroke in time. I hope he’s right.

Tomorrow I will wear a black armband in remembrance of your mother, Elron. She was a wonderful woman, the closest I’ve had to a grandmother, and I haven’t forgotten the last day of her life. I will play to win for her memory tomorrow.

Love,

Johnson

Old 08-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #15
ctorg
Global Moderator

Traded!

5/7/121

Jennie,

Cancel your trip to New World Valley immediately. I have been traded! I’m utterly devastated by this. I’m hitting .178, looking like a bad choice, and now the Drakes have traded me away, and to Sullivantown of all places! Why does it have to be the one team I would most not want to play for? I must say that I hope I am traded again before I make the majors, because I certainly don’t want my father coming to see any of my games. He’s bound to find out I’m playing in his city and come to tell me I’ve wasted my life.

I am crestfallen, Jennie. I was so looking forward to seeing you and my parents. Your beautiful blue eyes would have lit up my day. I want to feel your lips against mine again. It has been so long.

Probably the most hurtful thing of all is that the papers are calling the trade a steal for Long Island. I’ve been traded along with Allan Major, who is on the big club, and my friend Graig Funsten, a good pitcher down here with me, for two “future stars” named Jamal Dooley and Cameron Bielvenstram. I once hated Long Island because they kept beating Centropolis. Now I hate them for giving up on me before I had a chance. I will make it my mission to prove them wrong. I will be better than Dooley and Bielvenstram combined, and so will Funsten. And Allan Major will defy all odds and play five more solid seasons for Sullivantown.

I’m at least happy I’ll see Funsten’s familiar face in Ezzard, Sullivantown’s A team, which is way out west in the Illinois League. All the CL teams have their minor leagues out here, so far from home. He’s been doing a great job of keeping my spirits up. I do have to say that I’m not comfortable with the idea of playing so close to the fallout zone. The tales of the overlanders coming down from the mountains, their death squads killing anything they see, are enough to put me off from crossing the Mississippi. The Central States is a lawless country. I prefer the stable tranquility of the east coast.

Well, I will do my best to persevere and excel for my new team. I suppose I shouldn’t get too attached to a particular team, because you never know when you’ll be traded away. I hope I do get to see your face, somehow, before the end of the season.

Love,

Johnson

Old 08-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #16
ctorg
Global Moderator

Breaching .200

6/4/121

Josim,

Thanks for the encouraging words and the – um – artwork. That was a very convincing picture of me, or a lamp, or whatever it was supposed to be. Anyway, the absurdity cheered me up. I could always count on you for that.

I’ve been in Ezzard for some time now. It’s not as picturesque as the mountainside community of New World Valley, but it’s a pleasant town with friendly people and devoted fans. I’ve started hitting a bit. I’m over the .200 mark now and I managed to poke a home run over the centerfield fence in a game, the first ball I really saw well. In fact, that homer was the turning point for me. Hitting it somehow made me realize what I was doing wrong. I feel much better now.

My pal Funsten has been tearing up the league. He’s already 9-2 with a 2.09 ERA! I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a promotion to AA at some point pretty soon. I’ll be sad to see him go, but happy for him. I think I’ve made a good friend for the long haul in him. You’d like him. Actually, he reminds me of you, with that love of absurdity and odd view of life.

It’s kind of sad to see that Major really isn’t putting up his usual numbers with the big club. I guess that’s why the papers called it a steal. But Funsten and I will show them. Give us a few years and we’ll be stars far beyond those guys they traded for us!

Sorry to hear about your mother’s condition, by the way. That’s rough. I thought she had recovered fully. I hope she feels well soon. Give her my good words.

Your friend,

Johnson

Old 08-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #17
ctorg
Global Moderator

Finishing school well

6/9/121

Mother and Elron,

This is tremendous! I knew I could finish the school year well, but tenth in the class? It’s amazing! When I got the grade sheet you sent, I was afraid to open the envelope. I knew what it was. I was afraid it would not be as good as I thought. But tenth? That’s better than I dreamed! Thank you so much for supporting me, and please convey my thanks to the teachers, who were so understanding. I am so glad to have finally finished school.

Now, of course, I can concentrate my full efforts on baseball, as I have wanted to do. I know there are parts of both of you that still believe this all to be a dream I will not attain. You don’t say it, but I can’t see how they wouldn’t be there. That’s why you were so concerned with my grades. You wanted to make sure the option to go to college was still there. Well, now we’re all happy.

And thank you for the birthday present. Where did you find a glove like this? It’s really superb. I will wear it in today’s game. I’m 18 now, a full adult. The guys threw me a little party here, though we were all somewhat down after a particularly difficult loss. Still, it was a lot of fun.

The Ezzard Spiders are a good team. We’re 30-28, but we play like a team ten games over that. I’m only hitting .216 still, but my average has been rising steadily with time and my fielding has impressed the crowds here, who cheer the team fervently.

Well, I’m off to the field. Funsten is pitching today. He’s a little down after losing his last start, but he’s been tremendous. He’s 9-3 and batters are hitting .197 off him. I’m off to try to get him a win.

Love,

Johnson

Old 08-28-2004, 03:07 PM   #18
ctorg
Global Moderator

Still struggling

7/5/121

Josim,

I’ve been swinging at a lot of bad pitches lately. My average is back down to .197. I must admit that I thought I would breeze through A ball. It appears I’m not as perfect as I thought. The competition is quite fierce. Not everybody makes it to the big show. I’ll have to do a lot better here than I am doing if I ever expect to make it. This has certainly been a lesson in humility. The team is playing well. We’re 44-35 now. I just wish I could share in the joy a bit more. My pal Funsten is 13-3 and loving every minute.

Thanks for the scoresheet. Wow, I didn’t realize Centropolis was playing so well! Funny, now that I’m a pro ballplayer, I don’t pay as much attention to the standings. Ironic, I suppose. I see the Prophet is hitting the ball well these days. Leading the team in a few categories. What a great pickup he was for the Drakes. The pitching could stand some improvement, but I guess you can’t argue with a divisional lead. I’ll continue to root for the Drakes for as long as I’m not playing against them.

Allan Major stopped by at practice today. He tore a muscle in his arm and hasn’t been able to play. They’re thinking he’ll have to sit out another month. You can really see it in his face that it’s torture for him to sit out all these games. I guess that’s why he came to the lowly A camp. He’s giving some pointers to the pitchers. Funsten is ecstatic. Major is like an idol to him, I guess because of his time with the Suns. I think Funsten is from the Mountainridge area. Or was it Hope City? Why do I always get those cities mixed up?

Anyway, I’m rambling. Let me sign off before I become too mind numbingly dull.

Your friend,

Johnson

Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #19
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

Still enjoying the read. Nice twist that Johnson got traded along with his best friend. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:59 AM   #20
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifspuds
Still enjoying the read. Nice twist that Johnson got traded along with his best friend. Keep up the good work.
Thanks.

Yeah, that trade was basically an odd coincidence. I had forgotten to set myself in control of the team Dulle was on, which was my intent, and they traded him. It worked well within the narrative, especially since he was traded with his friend, so I kept it and put myself in charge of Sullivantown.