Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.7 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Offseason Discount! SAVE 50%!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Waninski
All Star Reserve

Thanked 6x in 4 posts
Minor League roster size limits

As I understand it, the Minor Leagues have roster size limitations that are a sort of mix between MLB and the NFL. I'm not sure how accurate this still is, but this is from an earlier OOTP post regarding these rules. The following was originally taken from an MSN Baseball article:

Quote:
The Minors

In the minor leagues, the rosters are managed in quite a different manner than the standard 25-man rosters in the majors. Minor league teams keep two separate lists of players. The first is the Active List which, like in the NFL, denotes which players are eligible for the current game while the second list, the Reserve List, is the entire roster of the team.

AAA and AA clubs are allowed to put 24 players on the Active List for the first 30 days of the season, 23 players on the Active List from the 31st day until August 10th and then 24 players again for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. The Reserve List limit, however, is always 38 players for AAA and 37 players for AA teams.

For A teams, the Active List limit is 25 players, for Short-Season A teams, 30 and for Rookie Teams, 35. All levels below AA allow clubs a Reserve Limit of 35 players. Below A-ball, only 25 players may actually get into a single game.

Players may be loaned to other minor league organizations, but must be returned by September 30.

As in the majors, there are two disabled lists. The normal disabled list only has a 7-day minimum as opposed to the 15 days used as the limit for the majors. The 60-day DL, or Emergency Disabled List, works the same as in the majors; the player doesn't count against any roster limits but cannot be reinstated until either 60 days have passed or the season ends.

*Original post: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...er-limits.html
As I'm going through this newest version of the game, I'm very impressed to see that it has implement most of these options. However, I notice that if you choose to have a maximum limitation on Minor League rosters, there is no option to enable the aforementioned rule in which, for example, the AAA roster size changes from 24 to 23 and then to 24 again at different points in the season (You could, of course, do this manually, but where's the fun in that? )

I would like to see this included as an option, similar to the same way the game enables the Major League rosters to expand on a certain date (Sept 1, in real life).

It would also be interesting to include the "Reserve List" roster option, as well. Although that may be a bit more complicated.

"Pitching, Defense, and the Three-Run Homer."
Waninski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,409x in 2,484 posts
Old data, I'm afraid. See the last post in the thread you mentioned, it has the more up-to-date information.

By the way, the early season roster expansion typified by those earlier minor league limits were once common in the major leagues. For many years, MLB clubs opened the season being able to carry up to 40 players on the active roster before having to cut down to 25 thirty days into the season. Later on, that was trimmed to 28 players on the roster for the first thirty days of the season, which lasted up until 1968.

In terms of the reserve limits, the minors have those but they're of little practical meaning these days other than as a de facto limit on how many players clubs can have on the 7-day DL or Temporarily Inactive List. And that mostly affects the lower level leagues where the active and reserve limits are the same size.

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote