Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
boilermaker
All Star Starter

Thanked 9x in 6 posts
Teach a noob.

I'm curious if it's possible to get a very basic lesson in logo making. I have no picture file manipulation experience at all. The only software I have is Irfanview and the software that comes with Windows.

I suppose a letter logo with a plain background might be a start?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 4,012x in 1,024 posts
I am not familiar with that software, but if you download the trial version of photoshop, I would be happy to tell you what I do to make my logos.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
jlv13
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
I do have photoshop, but haven't really messed with it. I would like this info as well.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
rocknfire7
All Star Starter

Thanked 260x in 177 posts
I use Photoshop only.

It's pretty simple once you get used to where everything is.
There is quite a bit I haven't learned yet.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,037x in 733 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckler
I am not familiar with that software, but if you download the trial version of photoshop, I would be happy to tell you what I do to make my logos.
I have photoshop, so when you get to explaining how to create a ring template, change colours in an existing jpeg image, import an image into/onto the template, create text with a shadow background (or that is mult-colour), I'll be following.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 AM   #6
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1
I have photoshop, so when you get to explaining how to create a ring template, change colours in an existing jpeg image, import an image into/onto the template, create text with a shadow background (or that is mult-colour), I'll be following.

I'll post more tomorrow, but the text is relatively easy to do. Create a blank image for practice. Hit the text button, and then put the tab where you want to begin your writing. Type what you want onto the image. (pic one)

Then go to layer>layer style>stroke.

From the stroke menu, you can pick the color you want the outline to be and how big the outline as well. One you have it the way you want, click ok. There you go. (pic2)

If you want a two line outline, do the same thing:
Layer>layer style>layer stroke. Pick the size and color again. For this practice run, make the size of the outline 4, and pick a dark color. Hit ok.

Now, once you have it the way you want, go to layer>duplicate layer. Click that and then hit ok.

Now, go back to layer>layer style>layer storke again, make the size 2 and the color white and hit ok.(pic3)

I'll post some more stuff tomorrow. I'm by no means an expert, but I don't mind at all sharing what I do know, so feel free to ask any questions you want.

Last edited by knuckler; 06-30-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
jlv13
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Good stuff so far. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Thanks knuckler! I'm going to have a field day practicing on my solo league logos where I applied my own text to them earlier. I'll go back to the drawing board knowing this!

How do you center text below one another or as an arch in a ring? Is it by the free transform command using the Ctrl/Alt keys? I think that's how I did it on some of my logos. Is there a more elegant way of doing it?

Which text style did you use for the Red Sox text? Is that style readily available?

Thanks again!

Last edited by reds1; 04-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
rocknfire7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thanks knuckler! I'm going to have a field day practicing on my solo league logos where I applied my own text to them earlier. I'll go back to the drawing board knowing this!

How do you center text below one another or as an arch in a ring? Is it by the free transform command using the Ctrl/Alt keys? I think that's how I did it on some of my logos. Is there a more elegant way of doing it?

Which text style did you use for the Red Sox text? Is that style readily available?

Thanks again!
Ok I can help here with the text a little bit

At the top of the screen you will see “Window”
Click on it
Click>> options, tools, and layers ( I have these 3 open at all times)
A checkmark will indicate they are selected if the windows are already opened
then...............

Click on the big “T” on the left in your tools bar and type the text you want.
Once the text is typed look to the top of your screen at the options bar
You should see another “T” with a curve under it.
Click
A window will appear with an option for style.
I always use the Arc (not arch) set at +50 for curves that go up and –50 for curves that go down.
Anyway after you make the selection the type will curve and suddenly become larger
Then go to Edit>> transform>>scale to resize it and fit it into the area you want.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by rocknfire7; 03-31-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

That's pretty much what I do as well, but my arcs aren't always +50 and - 50. I usually play around with them to see how well they fit.

BTW, the Reds' script you did looks very good.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:36 AM   #11
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for your help guys.

I use the arc quite a bit as well. My problem though is trying to center it in a ring or in a box. When I use the move command, it seems to 'jump' or default to certain points on the screen rather than letting me eyeball it and move it freely. IIRC, I have had some success using the 'free transform' command and clicking on 'Alt' at the same time while moving the text and that allowed me to move at will, without any 'snaps' if you will.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:06 AM   #12
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

Are you using the arrow keys to move it? I usually click on the move button, then use the arrow keys.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:12 AM   #13
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you using the arrow keys to move it? I usually click on the move button, then use the arrow keys.
Sweet! That works great, knuckler. I'll try it out on my logos this weekend.

edit-Does the stroke command also work on an image as well, so that I could have a black or white outline around the image to distinguish it from the background?

Last edited by reds1; 03-31-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:42 AM   #14
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

Yep, the stroke will work on an image. I've often used a thin white or black line to seperate an image from the background.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
rocknfire7
All Star Starter

Quote:
You can also enlarge your image first (control>> +) then move the font around.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
rocknfire7
All Star Starter

Quote:
That's pretty much what I do as well, but my arcs aren't always +50 and - 50. I usually play around with them to see how well they fit.

BTW, the Reds' script you did looks very good.
I have to change the number sometimes too.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #17
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Noob question for anyone who can help me.

I was doodling with a Windsor Spitfires logo that I had in my possession saved as a bitmap.

I opened Photoshop and saved it as a photoshop file. I used the clone stamp tool to remove the 'Spitfires' text and then I added two layers, one for 'Gimli' and another for 'Gliders'.

However, the background is transparent in the game and I don't know how to modify the black background as the program treats the background as 1 image.

Is there a way to fix this? I will load up a copy of the logo to see what I'm talking about.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #18
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

I usually fix the true black by doing the following:

Image>adjustments>brightness/contrast

Then make the brightness +2

Let me know if this works for you:

Last edited by knuckler; 06-30-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #19
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I usually fix the true black by doing the following:

Image>adjustments>brightness/contrast

Then make the brightness +2

Let me know if this works for you:
Thanks, knuckler. However that logo you provided is still coming up with transparency issues. I'll experiment with your suggestion tomorrow and see if I can fix it. But if you have any further suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks for your help!

Edit-here's the original I worked from:

Old 04-03-2006, 02:36 AM   #20
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 2,699x in 1,800 posts
Quote:

Thanks again!
reds1, that is excellent. Really looks fine.