Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #1841
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

A New Era for Heavyweight Boxing

Lee Oma - HW - USA
Career Record: W64(KO 29) / L28(KO 17) / D3

Unknown information has been left blank.

Birth Name was Frank Czjewski

Lee was ranked as high as 6 in the Ring Magazine's February 1946 ratings for 1945 but then in 1946 into 1947 he had a spell of loosing 7 out of 9 fights with one win and one draw. That appeared to take him out of the heavyweight contenders. He managed though to get himself untracked racking up wins from mid 1948 on through 1950 until finally on January 12th 1951 he fought Ezzard Charles for the NBA World Heavyweight Title, loosing though by 10th round TKO. It turned into Oma's last career bout.His late 40's record got him ranked again in 1949 (high as 2nd) and in 1950 (9th ahead of Marciano).

The included WWW.boxing.com website is an excellent account of Oma's career.He learned to box from a parish priest in Chicago.

The whole article a good read on Oma's career.Some shadyness and questionable handling of Oma in his career maybe kept him from reaching higher potential and standing in his career.

I added this little bit of bio info but look at the included website article on Boxing.com for a great bio on Oma.

I did nothing with the rating other than changed the valid as of to 1939-10 of his first fight. I built a schedule and play tested the TBCB3 file and the results were in my opinion great and Wins was alway averaging about 66 and Losses about 26 with his KO's 3-4 short of actual. Differences not even worth thinking about tinkering with. My schedule had at least the last 2/3 rds of his career in my data base. Quite a few for a 96 fight schedule!

Look at and enjoy the Boxing.com piece on Oma.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Oma_Lee_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.6 KB, 56 views)
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #1842
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

a New Era for Heavyweight Boxing

This gentleman looked like one of the best of the 30s and 40s. Maybe never got the chance for the championship due to most of the top heavyweights would not fight or did not fight him. Of the guys we're talking about here in the mid/late 40's only Lee Savold, Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe Walcott fought him looking through his career on BoxRec.

I took a swipe looking at his TBCB3 rating. You'll see I did down rate him some.

Elmer Ray - HW - USA
Career Record: W97(KO 69) / L23(KO 9) / D11

TITLES:
Florida State (Colored) Heavyweight Title

The included record in this bio is what is listed on BoxRec currently. There's some different accounts seen questioning the duration of Ray's career and included record.The Gruelingtruth.net account of Ray discusses record that has been found of his first fight listed by BoxRec with Walter King in 1933.

Listed as number 44 in Ring Magazines list of the 100 Greatest Punchers of all time. Defeated Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Lee Savold, Obie Walker, Leroy Haynes, and Kid Riviera.

Lost a 10 round decision to Frank Lumpkin in January 1940 for the Southern US (Colored) Heavyweight Title.

Lost another 10 round decision to Larry Lovett in Jan 1943 for what was billed as the Colored Heavyweight Title of the South.

In early 1947 after having defeated Jersey Joe Walcott in November 1946, Ray was ranked by NBA as the #1 contender to Joe Louis' heavyweight title. Ring's February 1947 annual ratings had him ranked 2nd behind Tami Mauriello behind Louis. Then in March of that year he lost a 10 round majority decision to Walcott. Ray never got the chance to square off against Louis. Classic Boxing Society on Facebook ran a Jan 2015 post on Ray commenting on how other than Jersey Joe and Ezzard Charles, the top heavies of those mid to late 40s would not fight Ray. Louis, Godoy, Mauriello, Lee Oma, Baksi, Lou Nova, Melio Bettina, Jimmy Bivins all turned down fighting Elmer Ray.

That same Facebook posting also accounts Ray's reputation as an alligator wrestler and was known to casually play with them and let them eat out of his hand!

Another good account of Ray's career on:
www.boxing.com/elmer_rays_50_in_a_row.html
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Ray_Elmer_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #1843
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Last of the NBA ranked heavyweights in July 1945 is Johnny Flynn. I saw a copy of Referee Magazine on BoxingTreasures.Com that showcased a fight between Johnny Flynn and Dave Whitlock in 1949. The cover describes how Flynn was a powerful puncher with either hand.

I have quite a few of Flynn's opponents in my data base and play testing the TBCB3 rating for him I was well pleased with the results to not do anything with the ratings. Just updated a little fighter info and Bio. His KO's and times stopped came out a tad high on both accounts but I did not figure it worth messing with the rating.

Johnny Flynn - HW - USA
Career Record: W44(KO 24) / L33(KO 13) / D2

Alias: John Kowalczyk

Defeated Melio Bettina, Ted Lowry, Rusty Payne, Joe Muscato, Johnny Haynes, Bill Weinberg, Pat Comiskey, Buddy Knox, Lee Q. Murray, Joey Maxim, Tommy Gomez, Larry Lane, and Cyclone Williams.

Toward the end of WWII in their July 1945 rankings, the NBA listed Johnny Flynn the #7 OUtstanding Boxer in the heavyweights. Flynn managed to stay in the NBA's rankings through 1946 before dropping a 10 round decision to Jimmy Bivins in January 1947 after having dropped another 10 round decision to Johnny Shkor in Sept 1946. Looking at his overall record up to that point, it's hard to rational Flynn's standing in 1945-46?
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Flynn_Johnny_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #1844
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

The turn into 1946 saw some reshaping of the heavyweight ranks.

NBA announced ratings of Jan 15:
Joe Louis, Champion
Billy Conn, Logical Contender
Outstanding boxers listed were:
Tami Mauriello
Jimmy Bivins
Honorable Mentions:
Lee Oma
Jersey Joe Walcott
Elmer Ray
Bruce Woodcock
Arturo Godoy
Joey Maxim
Johnny Flynn
Lee Savold

Around the same time we have Ring Magazines annual rankings Feb 1946:
Heavyweights
Joe Louis, Champion
1. Billy Conn
2. Tami Mauriello
3. Jimmy Bivins
4. Elmer Ray
5. Bruce Woodcock
6. Lee Oma
7. Freddie Schott
8. Arturo Godoy
9. Jersey Joe Walcott
10. Joe Baksi

We see British Heavyweight Bruce Woodcock bumping up into these rankings. A Large part doing as he won the British and Commonwealth heavyweight Titles in 1945 defeating Jack London.

Bruce Woodcock - HW - England
Career Record: W35(KO 31) / L4 (KO 4) / D0

TITLES:
BBBofC British Heavyweight Title
EBU Light-heavyweight Title
Commonwealth Heavyweight Title
EBU Heavyweight Title
BBBofC Northern Area Light-heavyweight Title

Website included has good article on life and career of Woodcock.Notes at the end of the article that he appeared on the cover of Ring Magazine in October 1945 and that he was a skilled and aggressive fighter with a great punch but he tended to be small for a heavyweight and he was prone to cutting.

An article from the Gettyburg Times, 7/17/1945 discussed the upcoming fight in Britain for the UK Commonwealth and British Heavyweight Titles. Jack London, the current titleholder was facing Bruce Wookcock. Backers of the 24 year old railroad worker, Woodcock were looking for this fight to help take Wookcock to the international scene in the US to contend for the world heavyweight crown. His 6th round KO of London helped do that. This would propel Woodcock into the NBA and Ring Magazine rankings in early 1946.

Found a short newspaper clip on the internet from The Maple Leaf dated 4/29/46 about Woodcock getting ready to fight Tami Mauriello at Madison Square Garden on May 13th of that year. Article mentions that Woodcock like to use a 16-pound sledge hammer for striking huge blocks of wood as part of his training.

I did some bio updating of Bruce's file. Play testing his TBCB3 rating I found very good replay results so with Bruce did not see making any changes. Sorry If I don't come in with some big rerating of some of the fighters. Hope you enjoy even just the revisit of them and any new bio info I can dig up on them.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Woodcock_Bruce_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #1845
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

I decided to take a look at Jack London. Again play testing I found London's rating pretty good it would seem with replay results very good. With the schedule of fighters I had (a good many of his opponents included), I was ending with his victories 2-3 shy on average to actual and his KO's a bit light averaging around 47-48. Not enough I did not mess with him. I updated some of his fighter data and bio that needed some updating. DOB was corrected and his place of birth of corrected. Later on actually after his fight career was over he moved the family to Blackpool.

Jack London - HW - England
Career Record: W95(KO 52) / L40(KO 9) / D5

TITLES:
BBBofC British heavyweight title
Commonwealth (British Empire) heavyweight title

Birth Name: John George Harper. Father of Brian London and Jack London, Jr.

Defeated Obie Walker, Larry Gains, Roy Lazer, Jack Casey, Al Delaney, Tom Reddington, Freddie Mills, and Reg Andrews.

London won the British Heavyweight and Commonwealth Heavyweight titles in a 15 round decision over Freddie Mills in Sept 1944. The titles were vacated by Len Harvey when he retired.

London was then defeated in July 1945 by 6th round KO loosing the titles to Bruce Woodcock.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 London_Jack_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #1846
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Freddie Schott - HW - USA
Career Record: W45(KO 26) / L10(KO 4) / D1

Birth Name: Fred A. Schott

Schott had compiled a 38-0-1 record when he matched up against Joe Baksi on Dec 28, 1945 at Madison Square Garden. Baksi won a 10 round UD spoiling Schott's unbeaten record. Schott had managed to reach the Ring February 1946 rankings as #7 Heavyweight. The NBA rankings on Jan 15, 1946 did not show Schott ranked.He managed to record only a 7-10-0 record the rest of his career starting with that Baksi decision.

Didn't find much at all on Freddie. Updated his fighter bio info per BoxRec, DOB / DOD and birth place. I've attached an interesting newspaper clipping from 1945 on about his fight against Jimmy Bell, a LHW in May 1945. Article from The Afro American, May 19, 1945.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Schott_Freddie_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #1847
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

A New Era For Heavyweight Boxing

Arturo Godoy

For some reason I have two Ratings for him both labeled as by the TBCB3 rating team. One has his Control ratings as I think it was 8/9 and his the other like 10/11.

Can someone tell me which was the most current?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #1848
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco del sesto View Post
arturo godoy

for some reason i have two ratings for him both labeled as by the tbcb3 rating team. One has his control ratings as i think it was 8/9 and his the other like 10/11.

Can someone tell me which was the most current?
10/11
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #1849
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTea View Post
10/11
Thank your sir!!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #1850
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Built a replay schedule. Had again probably 2/3rd's plus of Godoy's opponents to work with. Using the TBCB3 rating wins were going 15-20+ too high and his KO's were going 10-15+ to high. did a bunch of messing with it until I ended up with what ended up with his overall rating went up one but controls and punches I had to decline and his defense went from 4 to -4 !? An interesting challenge this was.

Arturo Godoy - HW - Chile
Career Record: W91(KO 50) / L21(KO 2) / D12; NC2

TITLES:
South American heavyweight title

Lost twice to Joe Louis for the world heavyweight title.
Defeated: Phil Muscato, Buddy Knox, Buddy Walker, Roscoe Toles, Isidoro Gastanaga, Alberto Santiago Lovell, Gus Dorazio, Tony Galento, Jack Roper, Luis Angel Firpo, and Tommy Loughran.

Godoy was ranked as high as #2 Heavyweight in Rings' Feb 1941 rankings and then #9 in the the Feb 1942 rankings. NBA had him in their top tier rankings in 1940-41, but after the two Louis fights and some unfavorable results over the next couple years to the likes of Lovell and Toles he dropped from the rankings until he poped back up in Rings'Feb 1946 rankings at #8 and was in honorable mention group of the NBA rankings in Jan 1946.

An article on Feb 21 1947 by the Eugene Register-Guard notes a 6 round exhibition Joe Louis and Godoy fought in Santiago, Chile. Godoy was knocked down in the 3rd and 6th rounds. Godoy was so groggy in the 2nd round "he accidently landed a right haymaker on the jaw of Luis Angelo Firpo, former heavyweight, who was the referee!"

Cutman: Whitey Bimstein Trainer: Charley Goldman

From website: http://www.memoriachilena.gob.cl/602...icle-9371.html

Had to have Google translate it:
Mentions Godoy was from a town called Caleta Buena a few miles north of Iquique. He was originally an artisanal fisherman. By 1930 he did military service then started amateur boxing in the medium heavy category (Which may show why his early professional career appeared to be as a light heavyweight).
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Godoy_Arturo_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #1851
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Next late 1940's contender up I decided not to do anything with the LHW/HW TBCB3 ratings. His career is so all over the board with LHW's and HW's though know primarily for his LHW career, I thought leave as they are and test them. So file is updated with Bio/fighter info updates.

Joey Maxim (Giuseppe Antonio Berardinelli) - LHW/HW - USA
Love that name!
Career Record: W83(KO 22) / L29(KO 1) / D4

TITLES:
Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title
American Light Heavyweight Title
World Light Heavyweight Title

Was born in Collingwood, Ohio a suburb of Cleveland.Became an amateur boxer at 12 fighting in more than 200 amateur bouts. A New York Times article on the web mentions he turned professional at 18. "That was when he adopted his nom de guerre at the encouragement of his manager, Jack Kearns. A boxing aficianado who had seen his furious lef jab in the ring said he threw his punches faster than a Maxim machine gun. The name stuck."

Giuseppe Antonio Berardinelli.

Known predominently as a light heavyweight he strayed up and down into the heavyweight ranks quite often through out his career. This showed in the Ring and NBA rankings of him through his career. In the Feb 1942 Ring he showed up as #8 ranked LHW, then the next year Feb 1943 and Feb 1944 Ring has him as HW #10 and #7 respectively. He dropped out of the Ring annual ratings until coming back in Feb 1947 as #10 HW and remained in the HW Ranks reaching #5 in FEb 1949. Then with his impending fight with Freddie Mills in January 1950, Ring ranked him #1 LHW contender in Feb 1950 and then in thier FEb 1951 rankings with him the current LHW Champion Ring still ranked him #3 HW! He finished out his career ranked in the Ring's top 10 LHW's. NBA rankings were kind of the same general track. Started out ranked in LHW's 1942-43 then was switched to the HW ratings 1944 thrug 1948 before ranking him back as LHW 1949/50.

A good article....
https://www.theguardian.com/news/200...ianobituaries1

After his boxing career, Maxim tried working as a taxi driver, restaurateur, stand-up comic and film extra. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1988.

Defeated: Floyd Patterson, Danny Nardico, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ted Lowry, Bob Murphy, Alfred Brown, Bill Peterson, Freddie Mills, Gus Lesnevich, Jimmy Bivins, Bob Satterfield, Bob Foxworth, Marty Clark, Jersey Joe Walcott, Phil Muscato, Buddy Walker, Ralph DeJohn, Panther Williams, Buddy Walker, Nate Bolden, Curtis Sheppard, Larry Lane, Lou Brooks, Herbie Katz, and Lee Oma.

Trainer Al Del Monte
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Maxim_Joey_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (4.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #1852
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Last fighter looking at from the early 1946 Rankings. Lee Savold was heavy in the mix of heavyweight title consideration going into 1950, be it through the BBBC concocting it's own rendition for a World Heavyweight Title to involve their local Bruce Woodcock.

You'll see I split Savold into a LHW and HW ratings which are quite different from each other. He appeared after putting on the weight and moving up the heavy ranks really helped his career to take over where the first couple years as a Light Heavy were with mixed results.

Lee Savold - LWH/HW - USA
Career Record: W98(KO 72) / L41(KO 12) / D3

TITLES:
EBU Heavyweight Title
Iowa State Heavyweight Title

The included website obituary article on Savold and revolvy.com notes his date of birth as 3-22-1916,not 1915 as noted in BoxRec.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/10960794/lee-savold Lists his date of birth as March 22, 1915.

He was born Lee Hulvaer, his parents of Norwegian ancestry who were farmers and ranchers. Savold resided in Spring Lake, N.J. and passed away in Neptune, N.J. Jersey Shore Medical Center.

Another good article on Savold's career can be found at:
http://www.boxing.com/lee_savold_hea...the_world.html
This article puts Savold's birth date as 3/22/15. So take your pick. It also puts his career record as W100(KO 72) / L38(KO 10) / D3 / 1NC

Savold's early career from 1933 through his fight with Andy Miller in late May 1935 appears by weight and his opponents as fought as a light heavyweight. Beginning June 1935 against Frank Androff he's fighting heavier weight opponents. So I've split Savold into LHW and HW rating along those time periods which puts his record in each:

LHW Sept 1933 to May 1935 W20(KO 11) / L15(KO 5) / D2
HW June 1935 to Feb 1952 W78(KO 61) / L26(KO 7) / D1
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Savold_Lee_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #1853
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

So the later half of 1945 and going into 1946 saw the end of war and the boxing world were looking for a big rematch heavyweight fight between Louis and Conn. Bruce Woodcock was establishing himself over in England as Britain's new heavyweight champ having defeated Jack London for the British and Empire crowns, with Englanders hope of maybe seeing a chance for a fighter worthy of world heavyweight title consideration that they'd not had in awhile.

The NBA's April 9, 1946 rankings looking like thus before Louis/Conn duel would finally take place in June. We see one new face in the rankings, Phil Muscato.
Heavyweights
Joe Louis, Champion
Logical contenders
1. Billy Conn
Outstanding boxers
1. Tami Mauriello
2. Jersey Joe Walcott
3. Jimmy Bivins
4. Lee Oma
Honorable mentions
Melio Bettina
Elmer Ray
Bruce Woodcock
Joe Baksi
Phil Muscato
Johnny Flynn

The NBA rankings thought then get tossed around some in July with Louis' beating of Conn and Muscato takes in three defeats in June tossing him out of contention. Mauriello and Walcott being considered now the top two contenders for Louis. Tommy Gomez who handed Muscato one of those June defeats and moved himself into the honorables field. We'll take a look next then at Muscato and Gomez.

NBAs July 9, 1946 rankings
Heavyweights
Joe Louis, Champion
Outstanding boxers
1. Tami Mauriello
2. Jersey Joe Walcott
Honorable mentions
Elmer Ray
Lee Oma
Bruce Woodcock
Billy Conn
Jimmy Bivins
Tommy Gomez
Joe Baksi
Joey Maxim
Johnny Flynn
Old 03-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #1854
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

So in looking at some of the recent discussed heavyweights in 1946 and some were mentioned as contending for "Duration Titles". Now here is where I show my lack of historical knowledge in boxing back beyond my birthing year of 1959! But, it's why I've developed the interest in working on this current "project".

So I easily understand that with Joe Louis entering the military in was 1942, his heavyweight title was put on hold. So fighters were left to contend for these "unofficial" titles I guess? I was first thinking this was just in regards to Louis' title, but I found this website called Timecoast Timelines and on a historical timeline of sorts for boxing with the attached short article notes about all major titles being "frozen" in 1941 and staying that way till early 1946 after the end of WW2. So did this pertain mainly to the major "world titles" as "sanctioned" by the NBA of the time? Looking on BoxRec's listings of Titles fights during the war years, I don't see any such title fights but there's all kinds of European, South American, other country Title fights along with the slew of US State fights. Was this intended mainly as a place card for Louis' title in fact or did they put on hold much lower weight class "world Titles"?

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 03-01-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #1855
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

This fighter kept coming up in schedules of other fighters we've looked at. Career started out modestly successful but turned south. Came in front of me again as I was looking at Phil Muscato. So I side tracked and decided to take a look at the American Henry Cooper.

Much of the biography was written by Chris Mund.

Henry Cooper - HW - USA
Career Record: W31(KO 7) / L49(KO 13) / D2

Original Rating by Christopher S. Mund who had his rating file as Hank Cooper, not Henry Cooper as BoxRec lists him i suppose to differentiate with Britains Henry Cooper file in the game. I changed it to Cooper_30s.

If its true that no one likes a poor loser, everyone must have loved Henry because he was quite good at it. The start of his career was not half bad. Cooper had himself a respectable 18-9-2 record at the close of 1937. He had a brief spurt of wins in 1939 that included a win over LHW Herbie Katz; but unfortunately, the balance of Cooper's career was a sling shot ride down hill. Were it not for a dislocated shoulder forcing Oscar Goode to stop beating on him, Henry would have lost his last 18 bouts. Instead, he was one and seventeen for that stretch. Cooper even found it tough going with smaller opponents, losing bouts to Light-heavies including Billy Conn, Gus Lesnevich, Herbie Katz, and Melio Bettina. He even dropped a bout to Middleweight Matt Raymond who tipped the scales 30 pounds lighter.

Found an account of Henry on the website www.jewsinsports.org. It notes he was born in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. This article recounts his biggest fights with Conn, Lesnevich, Katz and Joey Maxim.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Cooper_30s_Henry_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #1856
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Phil Muscato though managed to climb himself into the top 10's heavyweight ranks he just did not have enough success against the best other heavies he fought.I've broken him into three rankings MW, LHW, HW. W/L record his best success was by far as LHW.

Phil Muscato - MW/LHW/HW - USA
Career Record: W56(KO 20) / L23(KO 7) / D0

Best known for his tough bout with Rocky Marciano. Defeated Lee Oma, Enrico Bertola, Lee Savold, Joey Maxim, Gunner Barlund, and Wild Bill McDowell.

Phil is brother of Joe and Sam Muscato.BoxRec notes him considered by many the best heavyweight in Buffalo boxing history, ranking behind Billy Conn by The Ring in the 1940s. He started out his professional career as a middleweight and worked up to heavyweight.This is part of nice biography on Phil in BoxRec.

Cyberboxingzone.com notes Phil having fought his career as a middleweight on up to heavyweight. Looking at his fight weights and then his opponents, I have broken Phil into a MW, LHW and HW ratings.

MW 3/42-7/42 up through Lawer fights W5(KO 1) / L2(KO 1) / D0
LHW 9/42-9/45 thru P. Hall fight W24(KO 10) / L7(KO 1) / D0
HW 10/45 - remainder W27(KO 9) / L14(KO 5) / D0

Looking at the face W/L records you'd feel Phil the more successfull LHW but he made his career as a heavyweight of course.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Muscato_Phil_MW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #1857
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

A brief follow up mention on Phil Muscato as I was looking at his brother Joe.

Ring Magazine's Feb 1946 annual rankings had Phil ranked #2 Light Heavyweight behind champion Gus Lesnevich and #1 contender Archie Moore. Two years later in the Feb 1948 rankings Ring had him as #10 rated Heavyweight. So that kind of shows I believe some of my thinking of his career breakdown between LHW and HW.

Meanwhile I looked through the NBA quarterly rankings shown on Boxrec and the only listing seen for Phil Muscato is the April 9, 1946 listing and they had him under the Honorable Mentions for heavyweight. He had been then, Oct 1945 by my estimation had moved up to heavyweight, so reason I guess NBA ranked him in the heavies.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #1858
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Joe Muscato - HW - USA
Career Record: W31(KO 15) / L11(KO 10) / D1

Defeated Freddie Schott, Johnny Flynn, Johnny Shkor, Arturo Godoy, Bill Weinberg, Gunner Barlund, Buddy Knox, Bill Petersen, and Teddy Yarosz.

Brother of Phil and Sam Muscato. BoxRec has a nice biography on Joe.

boxrec.com/media/index.php/Joe_Muscato

Unlike brother Phil who started out as a middleweight and worked up through to heavyweight, Joe fought his entire professional career as a heavyweight.

Did not see any reference to Joe in the BoxRec site listings of Ring and NBA ratings. The Observertoday article in the website link makes mention of Joe, "He became the seventh ranked heavyweight in the world at he peak of his career". The Feb 1950 Ranking issue of Ring, did have Joe listed in the Class 3 group of thier world heavyweight rankings. Joe did of course not continue on fighting into 1950.His brother Phil was ranked int he Class 2 group that same year.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Muscato_Joe_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #1859
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Sam "Sammy" Muscato - MW - USA
Career Record: W16(KO 11) / L18(KO 5) / D3

Brother of Joe and Phil Muscato.

The Observertoday website mentions Sammy's undistinguished career as a middleweight fighter.

As a bonus I decided to complete the Muscato Brothers trio from Buffalo.

The attached photo of him. Can someone verify if this is him. I had this in my data base from quite awhile back. Did not even realize I had it till I made Sammy's file and it populated in it!
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Muscato_Sam_MW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #1860
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

I split Gomez into LHW / HW ratings.

Tommy Gomez - LHW / HW - USA
Career Record: W78(KO 67) / L9(KO 5) / D2

Bio: Was a World War II Purple Heart verteran who was wounded at the Battle of the Bulge. He sustained 16 shrapnel wounds that placed him in a French hospital for nearly six months. Gomez was Spanish-American, his parents having immigrated from Spain. As a fighter, Tommy Gomez was a bone crushing puncher who often fought out of a crouch. Holds wins over Gunnar Barlund, Teddy Yarosz, and Phil Muscato. His most notable bout was a third round TKO loss to Jersey Joe Walcott in 1946.

Attained #6 Ranked heavyweight in The Ring 1948 Annual ratings and that same year during March and July NBA quarterly rankings reached Honorable Mention in thier ratings for HW. Previously NBA placed Gomez in the Honorable Mention ranks in July 1946.

LHW 11/1939 to 1/6/41 vs Georgi W26(KO 20) / L1(KO 0) / D1
HW 1/22/41 to end W52(KO 47) / L8(KO 5) / D1
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Gomez_Tommy_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.9 KB, 50 views)