Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #21
robedits
Minors (Triple A)

Hank: I don't agree with you

I didn't post this to have what I wrote co-opted by you, although frankly you can post whatever you want in reply to whatever you want. No offense.
Call me a "fanboy" of OOTP. Yes, the crashes are frustrating and yes, I've never had these types of crashes issues with the past few iterations of OOTP. But all I see is the OOTP team (Lukas and others) constantly posting replies while trying to address issues/updates/etc. And constantly trying to help gamers with questions or problems. Hardly what devs would do that only want to "get a product out there."
I strongly disagree with your sentiments about their intentions, though you're entitled to your opinion, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank9481 View Post
Well said. Fan of the product for years. But it's clearly not working right in some cases. And instead of showing a dedication to fix it, the powers that be just move on to the next version. Spin it however you want but that's a problem and my chief complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robedits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #22
hank9481
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by robedits View Post
I didn't post this to have what I wrote co-opted by you, although frankly you can post whatever you want in reply to whatever you want. No offense.
Call me a "fanboy" of OOTP. Yes, the crashes are frustrating and yes, I've never had these types of crashes issues with the past few iterations of OOTP. But all I see is the OOTP team (Lukas and others) constantly posting replies while trying to address issues/updates/etc. And constantly trying to help gamers with questions or problems. Hardly what devs would do that only want to "get a product out there."
I strongly disagree with your sentiments about their intentions, though you're entitled to your opinion, I guess.

I'm a fan too. Have no issue with Lukas at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
bugman
Bat Boy

Also crashing, with specificity

OOTP 19, in Linux, full screen. Only after I've set up a league (I'm just starting out here) and want to advance to Opening Day using the "Finish Today" feature.

One other thing. I've created 4 leagues trying to learn the features (haven't played a single game yet though ) and deleted each of them when I've run into an obstacle. Yet they're all still there. The game defaults to the first one I tried to make, the worst of them all.

Since the game won't delete old leagues, can I just delete the folders?

Last edited by bugman; 09-03-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: adding a question
bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #24
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
OOTP 19, in Linux, full screen. Only after I've set up a league (I'm just starting out here) and want to advance to Opening Day using the "Finish Today" feature.

One other thing. I've created 4 leagues trying to learn the features (haven't played a single game yet though ) and deleted each of them when I've run into an obstacle. Yet they're all still there. The game defaults to the first one I tried to make, the worst of them all.

Since the game won't delete old leagues, can I just delete the folders?
Yes, you can just delete the folders.

On the crashing, that's happening with each new league you create, or is it just with one specific league?

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #25
bugman
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Yes, you can just delete the folders.

On the crashing, that's happening with each new league you create, or is it just with one specific league?
Each league. I'm just doing historical, a year at a time, though it does include data from a player's previous years. Wondering...

How long does it normally take to advance a day? So far it's never done it on its own. And when I do it, it crashes and/or freezes.

Also, when it crashes, at least once it's become a runaway process. I haven't been able to kill it in the normal way and it uses close to 400% of the CPU.

I'm going to try some other things when I have some time. I'll see if I can make a league with only the current year's data. I'm not sure how to turn off graphical features in the game, or if that would help.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #26
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Each league. I'm just doing historical, a year at a time, though it does include data from a player's previous years. Wondering...

How long does it normally take to advance a day? So far it's never done it on its own. And when I do it, it crashes and/or freezes.

Also, when it crashes, at least once it's become a runaway process. I haven't been able to kill it in the normal way and it uses close to 400% of the CPU.

I'm going to try some other things when I have some time. I'll see if I can make a league with only the current year's data. I'm not sure how to turn off graphical features in the game, or if that would help.

Typically it shouldn't take long to advance a day, maybe a second or two. 15 or 20 at the absolute worst.

It's sounding to me like maybe the game is not able to write to the directory it needs to when generating data, which could be causing the crashing. If that's so it's likely because of a write permissions issue on your computer.

Are you running Linux as an admin/root mode or are you running as a regular user?

If as a regular user, you'll definitely want to run in root mode.

Another thing to try would be to check the permissions on the game's data folder.

To find that you can do the following: Open the "Game Settings" dialog from the file menu or the main screen and click on the "Troubleshooting" tab. It contains several buttons to open certain folders with your individual operating system's file explorer. One of them should be to 'open folder containing customizable data'. Do that and you'll see the folder you want to make sure has write permissions.

Let me know if either of those steps help or not.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
bugman
Bat Boy

Running as root, will check the permissions. Though I first put it into a folder for user's apps--other programs run well from there--and then moved it to /usr/bin just in case that was the issue. Thanks for your help; I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #28
bugman
Bat Boy

It's crashing when it gets to the part where it loads the Major League data. I started a new league; same thing. I've moved the game to /home; same thing.

Permissions are fine everywhere.

Last edited by bugman; 09-05-2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
bugman
Bat Boy

I was unable to find any specific rules about the Linux installation for OOTP 19. There's just a compressed file which expands int a self-contained "system" (don't know if there's a term for that); some other Linux programs do that as well so... Is there something I'm missing?

BTW, I double-checked and I meet the requirements.

Have been vaguely interested in using Slackware again. Maybe I'll install that and see if it works any better. I'm assuming I can re-use my licenses.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #30
jdf008
Bat Boy

I am having a similar problem to bugman. Also on Linux. I can create a league but the game always crashes when I advance to a certain point. I wasnt able to get to opening day, I noticed before it crashed it said Generating Preseason Predictions, so i set predictions to on demand and I am able to get past opening day, but always in the middle to late april, when advancing days, it crashes. Can't get to may. I've tried a fresh install and different leagues. Tried to submit a ticket also but the ticket submit doesn't do anything
jdf008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #31
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

What distros are you guys using? Steam or standalone versions of the game? And what version (patch number) of OOTP do you have installed?

Can we get the league files for one of the leagues where this is happening from you guys (upload as per the instructions in my sig)?

Not sure if that will help us, but it's probably the first step in seeing if something is getting corrupted in the leagues themselves or if there's something in the process of the game itself causing the crashes.

It would also help to have a trace file from after a crash happens.

You can generate that as follows:

Open a Terminal window. This should be a menu option under System or Accessories. (It can be different under different Linux distros, so consult your distro documentation if you cannot find it.) A window should open up giving you access to the CLI (command line interface) where you can type a command.
Type cd and then press Enter to make sure that you are in your user's home directory.
Type cd "/home/(user name)/.Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 19/data/config/", and press Enter. Don't leave out the period or the quotation marks! You can verify this by typing pwd and pressing Enter. The output should look something like this:

username@computername ~/.Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 19/data/config
$ pwd
/home/username/.Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 19/data/config
Type ls -ls and press Enter to display the contents of the current directory.
Use vi or your favorite editor to edit the app file.
In the now open file, find the line that says "trace_mode". It should have a 0 on the following line.
Change the 0 to a 1. Save and close the file.

Start the game, run it until it crashes. Then without restarting the game, find the file on your system called ootp_trace.txt (should be in the OOTP debug folder, but I'm not exactly sure where you'd find that on each Linux distro).

Attach it to a post here or to an email to me. Thanks!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-06-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #32
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdf008 View Post
I am having a similar problem to bugman. Also on Linux. I can create a league but the game always crashes when I advance to a certain point. I wasnt able to get to opening day, I noticed before it crashed it said Generating Preseason Predictions, so i set predictions to on demand and I am able to get past opening day, but always in the middle to late april, when advancing days, it crashes. Can't get to may. I've tried a fresh install and different leagues. Tried to submit a ticket also but the ticket submit doesn't do anything
To submit a ticket you need to create an account and go through an account activation process (We know it's a pain, but we had massive spam issues earlier in the year that necessitated our doing that).

The support ticket would just go to me anyway, so there's no need to fill one out now since you have me here

Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #33
bugman
Bat Boy

I'm using OOTP 19, no Steam, Puppy at the moment, and there's no config folder in the data folder:

background.jpg
backgrounds
backups
ballcaps
ballparks
bb_cards
database
facegen
fg_files
fonts
help
jerseys
loading.png
loading_text.png
logo.png
logos
logo_templates
misc
online_scripts
photos
pictures
quickstart_games
saved_games
schedules
skins
sounds
stats
storylines
strategy_profiles
tables
team_logos.png
templates
text
world_templates

I'll make one and run the game again until it crashes, and see if anything shows up in it.

Oh, wait, you said app file. That's not gonna magically appear if I run it, is it.

There is also no config folder in the tar.gz file, so I did add the folder for what it's worth. But maybe I should just re-install the game? Confused...

Last edited by bugman; 09-06-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: duh, and not duh
Old 09-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #34
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Those instructions might be a little outdated (and I'm not a Linux wizard unfortunately to know where they might be wrong for your specific distro).

Can you find a file called app.cfg anywhere on your system in an OOTP related folder?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #35
bugman
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Those instructions might be a little outdated (and I'm not a Linux wizard unfortunately to know where they might be wrong for your specific distro).

Can you find a file called app.cfg anywhere on your system in an OOTP related folder?
No.

There is no installer associated with the 19 download, it just expands into a self-contained directory system. So there's only the one folder to search (the search does sub-dirs automatically).

Other programs I've downloaded do that as well, so I'm not alarmed by it. But no, that file is missing.

If I had an example of what it contained, I could create one. Or maybe, something got left out of 19?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #36
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
No.

There is no installer associated with the 19 download, it just expands into a self-contained directory system. So there's only the one folder to search (the search does sub-dirs automatically).

Other programs I've downloaded do that as well, so I'm not alarmed by it. But no, that file is missing.

If I had an example of what it contained, I could create one. Or maybe, something got left out of 19?
I don't think it got left out, but I'm a bit unsure why it's not there. Andreas is the Linux expert here and we may need his help, but unfortunately he's out for the next week or so.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #37
bugman
Bat Boy

I'll wait, thanks for doing what you could.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #38
bugman
Bat Boy

Also, just spotted this, will give it a go.

New OOTP 19 Maintenance Patch Available
Old 09-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #39
bugman
Bat Boy

Everything suggests that that's the exact same file I downloaded. Makes sense, since I'm pretty sure I downloaded it after the patch release date. Also, no /data/config in this one, either.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #40
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Everything suggests that that's the exact same file I downloaded. Makes sense, since I'm pretty sure I downloaded it after the patch release date. Also, no /data/config in this one, either.
If you just go into the game and to settings, troubleshooting and tell the game to write debug info to a file, that should have the same effect as editing the config.

So maybe just give that a shot and see if the game generates a trace file then.