Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #121
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.
First, $$$. Second, I suspect every pitcher that gave up at least three runs was promised a sports car or something. Because more runs -> more excitement?

Third, this was the closest - as far as I can tell - that an MLB game has ever taken place to me, and that still couldn't make me do a four-day round trip.

Finally, the UK is probably the only European country where MLB has a whiff of a chance of becoming mainstream interesting. They have cricket after all, and the major test games will take days to complete.

...although MLB could have adapted at least a *wee* bit and call for a tea break after two hours...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #122
Magus978
All Star Starter

BREAKING: Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs has died suddenly at the age of 27.

Tonight's game at Texas has been called off.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #123
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus978 View Post
breaking: Angels pitcher tyler skaggs has died suddenly at the age of 27.

Tonight's game at texas has been called off.

rip
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #124
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.
Your right your not the only person, then again if I said the earth was flat I wouldn't be the only person, can't say what the coverage was like as 1) I was at the games 2) The game was blacked out, they were actually shown on the BBC.

People do care about baseball in England, how many times would/have you start watching a game at 2am and sometimes not finish watching it till past 7am aka White Sox and Astros WS, I know thousands in England did. Also there are many countries in Europe that follow baseball more than England, more have better leagues etc although this is just hearsay not factual. England was chosen same as the NFL was chosen as it's the easiest country to get to from other European countries, be that the case after we leave the EU NOBODY knows just in case we get the usual rubbish. As for non US travellers, first game most were English who I was sat near to however some near me were from Italy, Germany, Greece and a couple from Texas on vacation but not Red Sox or Yankee fans just to watch the game. Second game Australia, they were actually Life guards just arrived for the summer. This game there were more from the US a party of 6 had come for the games from NY but using it for their vacation as a bonus.

What makes me laugh on this thread is 1) The length of the game/games, trust me 9hrs is short for 2 games when a test match (cricket) 8hrs a day for 5 days straight, the cricket world cup as been going on for 8hrs a day per game for nearly a month. 2) I can understand the put down of England hosting games but think about this for a moment, yes it was the Yankees and Red Sox but I believe they drew more than they would have at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. 3) Your not filling stadiums stateside, I watch a few games a week and bar the top teams at home or visiting most stadiums are half full. Plus slot of you guys are always saying baseball is losing its fanbase so you can't blame them for looking elsewhere for cash, if you don't like it don't watch it. Like I've said before, football (soccer) sold its soul so I gave up watching it, I enjoy my NFL & MLB maybe if your not enjoying a sport find one you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
although MLB could have adapted at least a *wee* bit and call for a tea break after two hours...
My dear fellow we do not stop for tea every five minutes, that's a myth. We go at least ten minutes We actually only stop twice for a tea break in cricket, one being lunch at 1pm and secondly 3:40pm for tea (not the drink). Ideally we should have stopped at the 7th inning stretch for tea (cuppa).

Last edited by ukhotstove; 07-01-2019 at 06:57 PM.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #125
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post

Wow, shocking. I wish his family the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #126
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No age at all.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #127
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I wonder if his death will be contributed to one of those hidden things you cant see until an autopsy. Actor John Ritter comes to mind.

RIP Tyler!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #128
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
In terms of European fans, none of the main US sports are 'mainstream', but they do have a strong 'underground' ('cult'?) following, which is why the NFL and now MLB (and NBA actually) are trying to grow their markets in London. I think the games being there also attracts European fans over too, so there's definitely enough fan interest to sell out games and be interested (at least for a couple games a year, anyway).

Now, whether that will ever lead to being a 'mainstream' European sport, I have no idea, but I suspect it's a valuable foothold either way.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #129
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:

That's terrible
Old 07-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #130
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I wonder if his death will be contributed to one of those hidden things you cant see until an autopsy. Actor John Ritter comes to mind.

RIP Tyler!
Quite a few well-known soccer players over the last decade too. Still as shocking each time though
Old 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #131
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

This doesn't feel like great timing now, but here's some clips of the UK coverage from the London series https://www.mlb.com/cut4/the-best-br...-london-series
Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #132
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Did not know this. Braves were more stoned than the Mets.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #133
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
In terms of European fans, none of the main US sports are 'mainstream', but they do have a strong 'underground' ('cult'?) following, which is why the NFL and now MLB (and NBA actually) are trying to grow their markets in London. I think the games being there also attracts European fans over too, so there's definitely enough fan interest to sell out games and be interested (at least for a couple games a year, anyway).

Now, whether that will ever lead to being a 'mainstream' European sport, I have no idea, but I suspect it's a valuable foothold either way.
Basketball is mainstream in a great deal many European countries. Football is still the most popular in most but in probably at least 15 or so you could call basketball the second most popular sport.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 07-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #134
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Basketball is mainstream is a great deal many European countries. Football is still the most popular in most but in probably at least 15 or so you could call basketball the second most popular sport.
That’s true for basketball yeah, fair point.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #135
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If Tim Kurkijan was on Jeopardy w/all categories on baseball, do you think anyone could beat him?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #136
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
If Tim Kurkijan was on Jeopardy w/all categories on baseball, do you think anyone could beat him?
Nope
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #137
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Last two full games I’ve watched - the first London game, 17-13 Yanks over Sox, and Cubs at Pirates tonight, where Pittsburgh has scored 18, Josh Bell has 3 homers, and two players have 5 hits
Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #138
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Last two full games I’ve watched - the first London game, 17-13 Yanks over Sox, and Cubs at Pirates tonight, where Pittsburgh has scored 18, Josh Bell has 3 homers, and two players have 5 hits
Same here. I just started getting into MLB mode this weekend. This seems to be par for the course this season from my side glances @ the year so far. It's like looking at the college WS a few yrs ago.

Both team's 9 spot was 6 of 9. And that wasn't all PH's. Those that threw from the mound were 3 of 7 & 2RBI
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 07-01-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:51 AM   #139
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Your right your not the only person, then again if I said the earth was flat I wouldn't be the only person, can't say what the coverage was like as 1) I was at the games 2) The game was blacked out, they were actually shown on the BBC.

People do care about baseball in England, how many times would/have you start watching a game at 2am and sometimes not finish watching it till past 7am aka White Sox and Astros WS, I know thousands in England did. Also there are many countries in Europe that follow baseball more than England, more have better leagues etc although this is just hearsay not factual. England was chosen same as the NFL was chosen as it's the easiest country to get to from other European countries, be that the case after we leave the EU NOBODY knows just in case we get the usual rubbish. As for non US travellers, first game most were English who I was sat near to however some near me were from Italy, Germany, Greece and a couple from Texas on vacation but not Red Sox or Yankee fans just to watch the game. Second game Australia, they were actually Life guards just arrived for the summer. This game there were more from the US a party of 6 had come for the games from NY but using it for their vacation as a bonus.

What makes me laugh on this thread is 1) The length of the game/games, trust me 9hrs is short for 2 games when a test match (cricket) 8hrs a day for 5 days straight, the cricket world cup as been going on for 8hrs a day per game for nearly a month. 2) I can understand the put down of England hosting games but think about this for a moment, yes it was the Yankees and Red Sox but I believe they drew more than they would have at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. 3) Your not filling stadiums stateside, I watch a few games a week and bar the top teams at home or visiting most stadiums are half full. Plus slot of you guys are always saying baseball is losing its fanbase so you can't blame them for looking elsewhere for cash, if you don't like it don't watch it. Like I've said before, football (soccer) sold its soul so I gave up watching it, I enjoy my NFL & MLB maybe if your not enjoying a sport find one you do.

My dear fellow we do not stop for tea every five minutes, that's a myth. We go at least ten minutes We actually only stop twice for a tea break in cricket, one being lunch at 1pm and secondly 3:40pm for tea (not the drink). Ideally we should have stopped at the 7th inning stretch for tea (cuppa).
I definitely appreciate the feedback from someone who lives in England. I should know better than make hyperbole about "nobody" liking baseball in England and Europe in general. I know that there is a following. Maybe a niche following but one for sure. I 100% agree that we can't sell out our games stateside. It is an issue. Although, I don't see how promoting in Europe changes that.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #140
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

‘The walk-off to end all walk-offs’

https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-wal...-two-out-walks