Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Announcing OOTP 21, Pre-Order Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #101
PocketsAintFull
All Star Reserve
 
PocketsAintFull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 732
Thanks: 761
Thanked 259x in 186 posts
2 hours 20 minutes to get to the bottom of the 4th! Heh.
__________________

(BCA pre-Jackie breakaway, WAS open team, UNC tbd ....)


PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #102
PocketsAintFull
All Star Reserve
 
PocketsAintFull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 732
Thanks: 761
Thanked 259x in 186 posts
Glad I stuck with that game! London Classic
__________________

(BCA pre-Jackie breakaway, WAS open team, UNC tbd ....)


PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #103
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,794
Thanks: 406
Thanked 703x in 516 posts
I'm impressed they got it done in under 5hrs. 14 pitching changes 49 baserunners. I want to know how Boston LF's went 0-6. Even John Smoltz hit one in the gap.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #104
PocketsAintFull
All Star Reserve
 
PocketsAintFull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 732
Thanks: 761
Thanked 259x in 186 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm impressed they got it done in under 5hrs. 14 pitching changes 49 baserunners. I want to know how Boston LF's went 0-6. Even John Smoltz hit one in the gap.
Wow, yeah that's crazy.
__________________

(BCA pre-Jackie breakaway, WAS open team, UNC tbd ....)


PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #105
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve
 
Hageneezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Hague,Netherlands
Posts: 721
Thanks: 164
Thanked 131x in 97 posts
I don`t like modern day baseball!
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
damientheomen3 (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #106
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,794
Thanks: 406
Thanked 703x in 516 posts
I'm just seriously getting into the MLB this season. But I've come to the conclusion Boston's bullpen blows.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #107
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm just seriously getting into the MLB this season. But I've come to the conclusion Boston's bullpen blows.
According to FanGraphs metrics, the Red Sox have the 6th best bullpen in MLB. Boston's pen has the highest K/9 in MLB at 10.78 per.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2019-12-31
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."

Last edited by darkhorse; 06-30-2019 at 03:15 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #108
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 325
Thanks: 133
Thanked 63x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
According to FanGraphs metrics, the Red Sox have the 6th best bullpen in MLB. Boston's pen has the highest K/9 in MLB at 10.78 per.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2019-12-31
That is only strikeouts which has no bearing on the best bullpen.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #109
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
That is only strikeouts which has no bearing on the best bullpen.
"No bearing?"

There's a strong correlation between K rate and success in the big leagues for a hurler. And, we weren't discussing who had the best bullpen in MLB, but rather whether Boston has the worst, which obviously they don't.
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #110
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 325
Thanks: 133
Thanked 63x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
"No bearing?"

There's a strong correlation between K rate and success in the big leagues for a hurler. And, we weren't discussing who had the best bullpen in MLB, but rather whether Boston has the worst, which obviously they don't.
They have the second most blown saves. They are the worst in the American league. Bullpen is measured by ERA and blown saves.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #111
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
They have the second most blown saves. They are the worst in the American league. Bullpen is measured by ERA and blown saves.
The Boston pen is also 5th in MLB with 21 wins, 6th in WAR, and 11th in ERA. Once again, nowhere the bottom in either MLB or the AL.
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #112
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 325
Thanks: 133
Thanked 63x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
The Boston pen is also 5th in MLB with 21 wins, 6th in WAR, and 11th in ERA. Once again, nowhere the bottom in either MLB or the AL.
What are you talking about. Next to last in blown saves. Tell me what is the purpose of your bullpen?

To hold a lead. This isn't even a debate. All Boston is talking about is their bullpen. You have gotta to be kidding me.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:00 PM   #113
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Bullpen is measured by ERA and blown saves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
What are you talking about. Next to last in blown saves. Tell me what is the purpose of your bullpen?

To hold a lead. This isn't even a debate. All Boston is talking about is their bullpen. You have gotta to be kidding me.
What, have we tossed out ERA now that nothing else fits with your argument?

__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 PM   #114
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 325
Thanks: 133
Thanked 63x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
What, have we tossed out ERA now that nothing else fits with your argument?

Last in the AL in blown saves means there is no argument. Please tell me what is Boston looking for at the trade deadline? Is Sox management happy with their bullpen? Whatever floats your boat.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #115
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Last in the AL in blown saves means there is no argument.
Yes, we can definitely agree they are last in blown saves. Other than that, you are wrong on every count.

The Red Sox are 12-11 in one run games and 6-3 in extra inning games. And, as mentioned before their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins.

Since Kimbrel hasn't been replaced, it's no surprise the Red Sox feel in need of a lockdown closer.
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."

Last edited by darkhorse; 06-30-2019 at 11:35 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:12 AM   #116
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 325
Thanks: 133
Thanked 63x in 46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Yes, we can definitely agree they are last in blown saves. Other than that, you are wrong on every count.

The Red Sox are 12-11 in one run games and 6-3 in extra inning games. And, as mentioned before their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins.

Since Kimbrel hasn't been replaced, it's no surprise the Red Sox feel in need of a lockdown closer.


You're amazing. Someone else mentioned that Boston's bullpen is not very good, in which you replied epically that "no but they are 6th in k-rate."

I responded that they are next to LAST in blown saves. You epically try to defend an indefensible position posting a bunch of numbers, that doesn't deal with the main point of an ineffective bullpen. Blown saves lead to losses. If you can't hold down leads, you can't win.

Everything you said after that is fluff to save face. The point is the Boston bullpen is not good which the post that mentioned it was correct. I never said anything other than that. I am so done with you.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 AM   #117
Westheim
Hall Of Famer
 
Westheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,113
Thanks: 2,558
Thanked 5,250x in 2,950 posts
Nobody is happy with their bullpen. Rightfully to blame are the turbocharged moonshot baseballs. SP *and* RP ERAs in the AL are up 1/3 of a run compared to even last season, and starters on average log almost a full out less than in '18. That's another out that the bullpen has to collect… because of the turbocharged moonshot baseballs, which keep flying by the way.
__________________
Portland Raccoons, 58 years of excell-.... of baseball: Furballs here!
1983 * 1989 * 1991 * 1992 * 1993 * 1995 * 1996 * 2010 * 2017 * 2018 * 2019 * 2026 * 2028
1 OSANAI
: 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 39 TONER : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic



Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
damientheomen3 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #118
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer
 
darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 10,850
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18x in 16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
You're amazing. Someone else mentioned that Boston's bullpen is not very good, in which you replied epically that "no but they are 6th in k-rate."
Incorrect. Boston's bullpen is 1st in all of MLB in K rate. They are ranked 6th in WAR. Neither figure remotely achievable by the worst bullpen in the American League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I responded that they are next to LAST in blown saves. You epically try to defend an indefensible position posting a bunch of numbers, that doesn't deal with the main point of an ineffective bullpen. Blown saves lead to losses. If you can't hold down leads, you can't win.
A bullpen's job is the same as the starting pitching, to prevent runs and help their team win games. The Red Sox pen is above average at both of those attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Everything you said after that is fluff to save face. The point is the Boston bullpen is not good which the post that mentioned it was correct. I never said anything other than that. I am so done with you.
The Red Sox have a positive record in one-run games and extra-inning games and their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins. None of those numbers are achievable by the worst bullpen in the AL. I'll show you what the worst bullpen in the AL actually looks like for future reference.

The Orioles bullpen has a 6.18 ERA, has contributed minus -0.8 WAR, has a won-loss record of 6-17 with 14 saves, and surrenders 1.92 HR's per 9IP. All of those figures are dead last in the AL by a good margin. The Red Sox bullpen, by comparison, has a 4.37 ERA (8th), 2.7 WAR (5th), a 21-13 W-L (4th) with 17 saves, and gives up 1.24 HR per 9 IP (6th). In no facet other than blown saves are they even remotely bad. In summation, they have been above average and the save is about as useful a stat in determining the quality of performance as batting average or the game-winning RBI.
__________________
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-01-2019 at 08:27 AM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #119
Hrycaj
All Star Reserve
 
Hrycaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 793
Thanks: 523
Thanked 402x in 219 posts
Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.
__________________
Click on my signature to read "A Baseball Story". A fictional dynasty report about the great game of baseball.


Last edited by Hrycaj; 07-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #120
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,794
Thanks: 406
Thanked 703x in 516 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.
I understand your suspicions. MLB went to London for monetary purposes period. They want to extend their brand. And they become more valuable if they can show investors, media & advertisers that they have a strong international reach.It would have been a PR nightmare to have a poorly attended game. I wasn't in England, of course, so I can't say one way or the other if interest was genuine or not. But I visit streaming sites that come from Europe & they show American sports. I'd doubt they would waste the effort if the games weren't getting ratings.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Hrycaj (07-01-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments