Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Announcing OOTP 21, Pre-Order Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2017, 03:27 AM   #1
xw668
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
xw668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 38
Thanked 13x in 10 posts
Does anyone GM A's in OOTP 18?

I think A's is one of the most difficult team to rebuild in OOTP 18. But I often see guys like to rebuild Reds, Padres, or White Sox..etc.

Does anyone try to rebuild the A's? Tips?
Their budget is less than OOTP 17...a lot of challenges and fun to manage.

Last edited by xw668; 03-27-2017 at 07:30 AM.
xw668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
mmarra82 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:10 AM   #2
Xavier12
Minors (Single A)
 
Xavier12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 93
Thanks: 26
Thanked 11x in 8 posts
Some nice looking pitchers as featured recently in The Ringer
https://theringer.com/oakland-athlet...a-e7e330c7eb10
Xavier12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
So I thought I would take up the challenge and manage the A's. I'm a Mets' fan but this season they're pretty stacked so the challenge is not what it has been in recent years.

So um.. the A's. Wow! Where to begin? Decent rotation and bullpen. That lineup and the financial situation are pretty dire. There's not a lot of bat help in the minors either. You have 3 bats in the minors that could yield something in at least a year (Schrock, Barreto, and Chapman). Matt Olson could be added to that list (could be a good replacement of Alonso in 2018). But um.. yeah.

I think I'll keep the team as is until at least June so that I know what type of team I have (probably not a winning side).
Guys to move at the deadline:
Sonny Grey if you want to get existential. He's amazing and has 2 more years of arb which is worth a lot. But what's the point of living after you trade him? I would say the same about Manea and Gravemen. Moving them would get you something but keeping them would probably be worth more to the club (unless the rest of your rotation is doing better than expected and you could get a great position player to build your lineup around).

As pitching seems to be the team's strongest asset, I would make one move early and that would be to upgrade the Catching position. Phegley and Vogt are supposedly plus hitters (supposed to be I guess). But neither are really that good at the plate and neither seem to have a high 'Catcher Ability' rating. Move one or both and get a Catcher who can improve/amplify your pitching.

I'll let you know how I get on.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
xw668
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
xw668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 38
Thanked 13x in 10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
So I thought I would take up the challenge and manage the A's. I'm a Mets' fan but this season they're pretty stacked so the challenge is not what it has been in recent years.

So um.. the A's. Wow! Where to begin? Decent rotation and bullpen. That lineup and the financial situation are pretty dire. There's not a lot of bat help in the minors either. You have 3 bats in the minors that could yield something in at least a year (Schrock, Barreto, and Chapman). Matt Olson could be added to that list (could be a good replacement of Alonso in 2018). But um.. yeah.

I think I'll keep the team as is until at least June so that I know what type of team I have (probably not a winning side).
Guys to move at the deadline:
Sonny Grey if you want to get existential. He's amazing and has 2 more years of arb which is worth a lot. But what's the point of living after you trade him? I would say the same about Manea and Gravemen. Moving them would get you something but keeping them would probably be worth more to the club (unless the rest of your rotation is doing better than expected and you could get a great position player to build your lineup around).

As pitching seems to be the team's strongest asset, I would make one move early and that would be to upgrade the Catching position. Phegley and Vogt are supposedly plus hitters (supposed to be I guess). But neither are really that good at the plate and neither seem to have a high 'Catcher Ability' rating. Move one or both and get a Catcher who can improve/amplify your pitching.

I'll let you know how I get on.
I am so glad and exciting there are other people GM the A's.
Can't' wait to know the next step you manage.
xw668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
March 8, 2017:

Transaction -
Oakland receives C Christian Vazquez
Boston receives SS Chad Pinder

With the acquisition of Vazquez, I move Vogt over as a DH, send Phegley down to AAA and promote Bruce Maxwell as the backup catcher. Thus I have upgraded my 'Catching ability' in my 2 Catchers. I like Vogt's hitting profile so I'm keeping him in the lineup but Phegley isn't much of a hitter and isn't good enough behind the plate to amplify my decent pitching. I couldn't get any good offers for him on the trading market so I'll burn an option and use him as my 3rd/4th catcher. In losing Pinder I have allowed the young Franklin Barreto to take over the AAA SS position. Pinder looked too much like a strikeout machine to make the jump into the Bigs.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
kev24fan (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
AlpineSK
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bear, DE
Posts: 1,390
Thanks: 519
Thanked 655x in 445 posts
I'm going to. I do pretty much every year. They're so much fun. I'm just waiting for the GM sliders to be changed around, since that kind of change probably wont effect existing saves.
__________________
Check out my Sims!!

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
kev24fan
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 445
Thanks: 690
Thanked 110x in 96 posts
DFyvie, I hope you continue to post on the things you do with the A's.
kev24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
In the interest in Team Chemistry, I decided to keep Phegley in the Bigs. He's a good leader and is more than adequate to platoon Vogt at DH and serve as a backup to Vazquez vs Righties.

The Primary Lineup as of March 9th 2017: (Moderate Sabremetric)
L De Aza CF
L Joyce RF
R Plouffe 3B
R Davis LF
L Voigt DH
R Semien SS
L Alonso 1B
S Lowrie 2B
R Vazquez C

I brought up De Aza to platoon with Rajai Davis at CF (we'll see how that pans out). Hopefully his OBP is good enough to stay in the lineup/leadoff. The Rotation and BP are still a work in progress as Sonny Grey is still injured but scheduled to be back by Opening Day. I lost Raul Alcantara to the Twins on waivers when I tried to sneak him into the minors to make room for Vazquez. He posted decent numbers in AAA last season so I'm a bit peeved to have lost him despite his mediocre ratings.

Potential Rotation:
RHP Sonny Gray
RHP Kendall Graveman
LHP Sean Manaea
RHP Cesar Valdez
RHP Jesse Hahn

Basically this teams needs Leadership. It needs at least a couple of good hitters. It needs maybe one more quality arm for the pen (maybe). I'll know more once I start playing out the games.

Wish me luck.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
kev24fan (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments
 
Lukas Berger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nice, Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 12,326
Thanks: 19,164
Thanked 9,067x in 4,532 posts
I'm thinking about making them my first challenge, once I actually get some time to play the game!
__________________


lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Buy Out of the Park Baseball 20!

Buy Franchise Hockey Manager 5!

Found a bug? Have a technical issue? Please post here and/or file a support ticket here.


Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
eck.nicholas (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
Dargone
Hall Of Famer
 
Dargone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Interwebs
Posts: 2,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 168x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
I'm thinking about making them my first challenge, once I actually get some time to play the game!
Bad Lukas, bad Lukas.
__________________
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell
Dargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Lukas Berger (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues
 
eck.nicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 435
Thanks: 116
Thanked 60x in 51 posts
I know it's a typical rebuild team...but the Marlins. They start over budget. That's a challenge in its own.
__________________


2017 Boston Red Sox (est. 2017)
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
injury log (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve
 
DustinthePOWERHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 868
Thanks: 1,127
Thanked 384x in 241 posts
This is the first year where I really don't think anyone is a horrendous rebuilding project. I mean there are definitely good and bad teams and rebuilding and contending, but there aren't any really truly horrible teams anymore. Or any gigantic projects. The MLB is definitely more even than it used to be.

That said I'm trying the Brewers, tough division, still not fully rebuilt and I don't think their farm system's as good as it's rated in the game. That's my rebuild team.
__________________
Shootin' at the walls of heartache, BANG BANG, I am THE WARRIOR!

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
DFyvie (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
The Brewers would be a fun team.. I've done it in the past (I always move Garza and his contract on Day 1).
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
DustinthePOWERHOUSE (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
So it's opening Day, 2017. The A's are predicted to go 72-90. I picked up Matt Szczur off of waivers from the Cubs and I sent Super-Utility-Man Mark Canha down to AAA. I've always been a fan of Szczur. We need the added leadership, speed off the bench(not really), and pranks. Gotta have the pranks. Sonny Gray is back from injury and slated to be our Opening Day starter against the dreaded Angels.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve
 
DustinthePOWERHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 868
Thanks: 1,127
Thanked 384x in 241 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
The Brewers would be a fun team.. I've done it in the past (I always move Garza and his contract on Day 1).
I moved Braun to the Dodgers almost instantly got back Calhoun and Bellinger on very hard trading. Pretty happy with the return, though wish Calhoun had a position.

Also really wanted Yadier Alvarez but he's apparently untouchable.
__________________
Shootin' at the walls of heartache, BANG BANG, I am THE WARRIOR!

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #16
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE View Post
I moved Braun to the Dodgers almost instantly got back Calhoun and Bellinger on very hard trading. Pretty happy with the return, though wish Calhoun had a position.

Also really wanted Yadier Alvarez but he's apparently untouchable.
That is a decent return. Looks like Calhoun has alright OF range. You could force the minor league managers to play him in LF/RF.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
wallewalls
All Star Reserve
 
wallewalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 523
Thanks: 384
Thanked 265x in 147 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xw668 View Post
I think A's is one of the most difficult team to rebuild in OOTP 18. But I often see guys like to rebuild Reds, Padres, or White Sox..etc.

Does anyone try to rebuild the A's? Tips?
Their budget is less than OOTP 17...a lot of challenges and fun to manage.
I'm currently at Spring Training in the 4th season of my A's save. Year 1 lost 102 games, year two went 78-84, and year 3 went 87-75. Some tips, check the waiver wire. Don;t expect to win in year 1. Sell off all that you can. In free agency look for bargains. I was able to sign Michael Brantley for 2 years/6 million. At the start anyway, platoon, platoon, platoon. Try to shrewd in your trades. Know what you want to give up and what you want to hold onto. The A's have a surplus of pitching right now, if you decide that you don't want to compete until 2019 (like I did in my save) I would flip some SP's to try and load up on assets. I didn't move Gray and instead lost him to free agency because in year 3 we were 1 game out of the wildcard at the deadline, but if you are in 2019 and still not in a winning position, definitely flip him. I've been having a blast using the A's so far, it's a great challenge, definitely a different change of pace from using the Yankees that I used last game. Here are my lineups and pitching staff, but keep in mind that I'm in Spring Training, but the lineups and rotation are set to what they will be at Opening Day, assuming no injuries.

I do think my team last year was better, I am bit hesitant about how this team will do this season, my goal is to win the division this year. Also my rotation isn't in the correct order and I won't be using a 6 man rotation, that's just for Spring Training. As you can see the roster has definitely overturned in 4 years. Only 4 people in the lineup were there when I took over and only one pitcher I believe is still there from the start. A lot of moves, and all of these players except some bench players and relievers were acquired via trade or waiver wire pickups. The only big money I have given out is to my DH, an international guy but he's signed to a very team friendly contract. I am not paying Gurriel anything this season btw, as he got traded by the Astros and they retained 30% of his salary and when I picked him up from the White Sox they retained the rest of it, so I'm not paying him anything, definitely use the retain salary feature to your advantage as a small market/low budget team.

Hope this was of some value
Attached Images
Image Image 
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
DFyvie (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve
 
DustinthePOWERHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 868
Thanks: 1,127
Thanked 384x in 241 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
That is a decent return. Looks like Calhoun has alright OF range. You could force the minor league managers to play him in LF/RF.
I just want that bat man, that plays anywhere. I'll play in as a better Odor if I have to.
__________________
Shootin' at the walls of heartache, BANG BANG, I am THE WARRIOR!

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
DFyvie (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
DFyvie
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 219
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 86
Thanked 55x in 36 posts
Update:

As of Friday April 17th/2017 I am a respectable 7-2. (yes, I play out every game because as a stay-at-home Dad I need all the mayhem I can get).

There have been a few rain-outs, a few bullpen blowups (Ryan Madsen is no longer a set-up man), and a few come-from-behind wins. Obviously 9 games is a very small sample size. I've not really played a good team yet (The Royals aren't nearly as good as they used to be) but I will be starting a series against Houston today.

Thoughts thus far:

It's fun. It is a lot like managing the Padres: keep the expectations low and hope for some luck. I feel I am a serious injury or two away from my season being completely lost, however. I am hoping the young bats in AAA will be good enough next year for me to cast-off some of these place-holders in my lineup (I'm looking at you Trevor Plouffe/Yonder Alonso/ Jed Lowrie).
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
xw668
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
xw668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 35
Thanks: 38
Thanked 13x in 10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
Update:

As of Friday April 17th/2017 I am a respectable 7-2. (yes, I play out every game because as a stay-at-home Dad I need all the mayhem I can get).

There have been a few rain-outs, a few bullpen blowups (Ryan Madsen is no longer a set-up man), and a few come-from-behind wins. Obviously 9 games is a very small sample size. I've not really played a good team yet (The Royals aren't nearly as good as they used to be) but I will be starting a series against Houston today.

Thoughts thus far:

It's fun. It is a lot like managing the Padres: keep the expectations low and hope for some luck. I feel I am a serious injury or two away from my season being completely lost, however. I am hoping the young bats in AAA will be good enough next year for me to cast-off some of these place-holders in my lineup (I'm looking at you Trevor Plouffe/Yonder Alonso/ Jed Lowrie).
Keep going! I enjoy following your post.
xw668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments