Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #21
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I don't know what you mean. 200 seems like way too many in the first place, I never have more than like 5 guys on reserve lol.

Every tournament can have its own roster based on your entire player collection, you just have to activate them.
How do you only have 5? Every time I enter a tournament, it maxes out my roster with my 200 oldest eligible cards by default.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #22
emilempenza
Minors (Double A)

Pretty much stopped playing them tbh as it just turned into me using the exact same team entering the exact same tournament repeatedly. I don't really have the time or patience to build all the different CAP teams as the system is incredibly clunky.

I really need a way to dump all the cards I literally never will use but have locked in into a bin somewhere so I never have to see them, otherwise there are just so many cards in the way when I am trying to select a team, it takes forever for a tournament I might get knocked out of straight away.

I still enter the bronze dailies, but I give it next to no thought, just sign up, accept standard team, see if I got anything 6 hours later. Not hugely engaging
emilempenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #23
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. 200 seems like way too many in the first place, I never have more than like 5 guys on reserve lol.

Every tournament can have its own roster based on your entire player collection, you just have to activate them.
"just"

It's rather hard to illustrate; unless you stick to a single lineup for every tournament you enter, that's a pretty constant series of activating and deactivating, with bare-bones five-at-a-time roster tools.

And no sandbox mode, whups, tourney's starting whether or not you're finished.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #24
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
How do you only have 5? Every time I enter a tournament, it maxes out my roster with my 200 oldest eligible cards by default.
Every single tournament or just when you play a format for the first time?

I haven't made a roster from scratch in weeks.

Yeah I guess if you want to completely change your lineup every quick silver you enter that would be very annoying but I still don't see having more than 200 players you really want to use.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #25
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Every single tournament or just when you play a format for the first time?

I haven't made a roster from scratch in weeks.

Yeah I guess if you want to completely change your lineup every quick silver you enter that would be very annoying but I still don't see having more than 200 players you really want to use.
Every single time, as far as I can tell. When I import my roster, it usually decreases the number of active cards I have, but only because I exported after deactivating a lot of worthless cards. This is the work around I've developed so that it can be manageable on the rare occasion that I want to change my lineup.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #26
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I haven't played one since the first week or so. I got tired of signing up for tournaments that never happened. Spending most of the day at my computer to chase 250pp at a time does not appeal to me either. I will try it again in the next version.
My tournament experience exactly. When I read this it was like deja vu all over again!

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #27
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Ditto what Orcin and Kushiel said.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #28
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

It's been an alright experience. I do have to enter a lot of tourneys (about 15 I'd say?) to place. Not bad odds. Never in any with more than 32 teams. If I want to ignore my job and family I could accumulate like 4 packs a day which wouldn't be half bad I guess. But yeah that whole ignoring the rest of your life thing. That's me and I might not be a good manager, haven't found a winning combination.

I have a lot of cards so I would love to not have to activate to see ratings. Once you get a good roster that makes semis and finals, saving your lineups and strategy for a type of tournament expedites the process. But getting there has been very time consuming. Really only confident in a 1875cap (public doesn't like those) and a gold historical team.

250pp payout tourneys are not worth it ever. How do those fill? I can quick sell 50 duplicate iron Live cards for a faster 250pp (yes I'm a pack ripper). No payout less than 1000pp or regular pack would probably garner more interest. I really didn't understand why it took two weeks to fill the Tuesday tourney with a great 100 Whitaker payout (besides 128 is A LOT of spots to fill).
Old 12-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #29
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
I love tournament play. Without tournaments, essentially you are building one 25-man team throughout entire year.... can you say, "Boriiiing". With tournaments, we can build a whole bunch of different teams and try out different strategies with each one.

Also loving opening packs every evening. used to be, I would get one pack for each team every three days (challenge mode packs). Now I get to open packs every night.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #30
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I haven't played one since the first week or so. I got tired of signing up for tournaments that never happened. Spending most of the day at my computer to chase 250pp at a time does not appeal to me either. I will try it again in the next version.

This has changed. Devs eliminated some of the non-filling ones. There are more tournaments for cards and packs. I would love to try to match up against your team in a tournament. Comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
skep
Minors (Double A)

Tournaments that don't run are toxic to the tournament ecosystem, as expressed by a few players here. Ghost teams, byes, better prizes, whatever you gotta do to make sure every tournament runs.

skep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #32
xekyn92
Bat Boy

In my eyes tournaments didn’t really accomplish what i’d hoped they would, which was incentivizing collecting cards to begin with. The variety of tournaments is simply far too narrow to really be of much interest to me, the cap tournaments are simply an exercise in how many overpowered cards you can squeeze into a lineup surrounded by fodder; while the silver/gold etc tournaments have a meta that practically everyone adheres to anyway since it’s pretty obvious which cards outperform their ratings.

I was certainly hoping for themed tournaments where we could only use cards from a specific era or team, a tournament where everyone has to use Marlins cards (just an example) would at least give me a reason to keep them in the first place.

Either that or a tournament type where everyone has to construct their roster from randomly pulled cards from like 10 packs or something, at least an element of randomness would make it less stale. As it stands most of the tournament types lend themselves to practically every participant using some variation of the exact same meta team and strategy which sucks.
xekyn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #33
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

It will take major changes for me to get back to playing tournaments--or even the base PT.

Too much 'same old, same old' for now. I had hoped tournaments would renew the excitement, but no.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #34
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

My interest has gone down since all the last update they did with the tournament list. I was a player who loved to build teams with Caps in play since I don't have a good bronze/silver/gold/Diamond team.

They deleted a bunch of cap tournaments that I felt like I could compete in and replace them with "bronze only" or "silver only" restrictions.

I get it, every team in the 1875 cap had 3-4 starters who were 100 or better. Still, I felt like I had a chance to build a roster that could complete.

I don't know the full results, but I have done so much better in those cap tournaments that everyone complained about than these newer/smaller tournaments.

EDIT - I want to add something else. I look at which teams are entered in these tournaments already. With tournaments being out for so long, I already know which teams are "tough" to beat. I try to avoid them if I can, but with the limited amount of tournaments my teams are built for, I cannot do that now. That is another note on why interest has decreased.

OOTP21

OOTP20

Last edited by getalife1798; 12-11-2019 at 02:52 PM.
getalife1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #35
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Between the hard-to-use interface (I have to return to the start screen how many times?), the time it takes to create rosters for multiple tournament types (I have to activate and sort through how many cards?), the number of tournaments that never seem to fill up (or did they fill up and I already lost--the interface is so unhelpful here), and, honestly, even though this might undermine my semi-legitimate gripes, the incredibly rare occurrence of coming anywhere close to winning a tournament (I finished second once and third/fourth a couple times...yay?), I'm basically ignoring tournaments. I mean, the Red Raiders are often signed up for 3 tournaments, but if I log on after work and find we're only signed up for one or two (or none), I never feel any sense of urgency to rectify that.

I recognize that this says much more about me than about the tournaments themselves, but I did want to echo those saying, "Please make the interface MUCH more intuitive," and "Please make it MUCH easier to create rosters for various tournament formats."

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #36
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

I think the biggest loss is a lack of restrictions on the type of cards you can use. The goal of the tournament ecosystem should be to encourage players to make new teams regularly, and right now there is absolutely no effort being made to encourage that. Where are my tournaments with only pre-1950s players? All-AC Central tourneys? Tournaments for guys with names starting with B? Literally any restriction to get people outside of the default comfort zone; clearly, submitting the same roster you made weeks ago over and over again gets stale pretty quickly. Force us to adapt.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #37
HelpDodgers
Major Leagues

I haven't really played the tournaments. With over 1700 cards and then over 200 active cards, however, if they are bronze cards and I then play a different style tournament then I don't see everyone.

That, plus there are so many people who really are smarter than I am, it makes it hard to create a team just to be filler for someone else's victory.
HelpDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #38
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
I think the biggest loss is a lack of restrictions on the type of cards you can use. The goal of the tournament ecosystem should be to encourage players to make new teams regularly, and right now there is absolutely no effort being made to encourage that. Where are my tournaments with only pre-1950s players? All-AC Central tourneys? Tournaments for guys with names starting with B? Literally any restriction to get people outside of the default comfort zone; clearly, submitting the same roster you made weeks ago over and over again gets stale pretty quickly. Force us to adapt.
To add on to this, the unique format should be for something special. You can't just release a bunch of wacky 16 teamers to win 750 points since the trouble of navigating the interface isn't worth that.

So far the biggest excitement for tournaments I can remember was the perfect pedro one. How many people made a capped lineup for the first time for it? I know I did.

A flagship daily tournament with a valuable prize (200K+ card) would get people to put in the effort figuring out a lineup that works within some novel criteria.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #39
traveller79
Minors (Rookie Ball)

At this point tournaments are just an opportunity to rip extra packs by specializing in niches and clicking buttons a few times a day, but last year's iteration of Perfect Team was threadbare compared to OOTP20.

We'll see what tournaments evolve into over the next couple of releases.

traveller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #40
UnfriendlyJoe
Bat Boy

I was loving the tournaments, but the recent bugginess with rosters is simply intolerable. I don't know what they changed to make the roster import no longer work, but there is nothing more frustrating than seeing your rosters get all screwed up when every tournament starts.
UnfriendlyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote