Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #61
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitrjw View Post
All I'm hoping for is that you guys can somehow find a solution for the memory problem that older devices would have. I know someone earlier in the thread said to just get a new device,but I think what people fail to realize here is nowdays thats not simple for some people. I mean look at how much the Iphone 4 costs,its what $300-$400? I mean I realize how far the technology has advanced however some people cxan't simply afford to go and "just get a new one" Especially if their device works fine right now,and with Apple having turned a blind eye on the older gen devices,we simply don't need the devlopers to do the same. So I truly hope that enough time is taken with beta testing to find a solution to this problem.
I fail to see a problem

I would love to buy one computer and be done with it for life. But when you use technology it does not work like that.

You can buy a 8 GB iPod touch 4 for $229
It has the exact same hardware and screen as an iPhone. Hell it is an iPhone without the ability to call or text
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #62
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I fail to see a problem

I would love to buy one computer and be done with it for life. But when you use technology it does not work like that.

It has the exact same hardware and screen as an iPhone. Hell it is an iPhone without the ability to call or text
Not to mention a lot of places like Radioshack and Best Buy will take your old phone and apply a buy back credit to your new phone. My 3G I got $100. Could have got more selling it on eBay but I don't have a backup phone to wait a few days of not having a phone.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #63
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I fail to see a problem

You can buy a headphone and microphone combo, purchase a Skype subscription and it becomes an excellent phone very cheaply. With the proliferation of free wireless networks today it becomes even better.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #64
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I fail to see a problem

Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #65
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I fail to see a problem

Not everyone has $229 for a new touch either!
RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #66
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy View Post
Not everyone has $229 for a new touch either!
Then I suppose some people will just have to *GASP* go without.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #67
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
Out of curiosity as well, how does iOOTP compare to the very first OOTP in terms of memory usage and things of this nature? Just trying to grasp how far technology has come in the last dozen years.
I can't comment on iOOTP/OOTP for obvious reasons however when I created the Football Manager iPhone game, the target for that version was somewhere between the level of CM01-02 and CM4 (released around 2002 if I remember right) in complexity and depth.

When you play that game with the current version it actually has more players in it now than those PC products had in their day (with the same leagues active and a 'normal' database size selected on the PC products).

Simply put handheld devices are pretty darn funky these days
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #68
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I can't comment on iOOTP/OOTP for obvious reasons however when I created the Football Manager iPhone game, the target for that version was somewhere between the level of CM01-02 and CM4 (released around 2002 if I remember right) in complexity and depth.

When you play that game with the current version it actually has more players in it now than those PC products had in their day (with the same leagues active and a 'normal' database size selected on the PC products).

Simply put handheld devices are pretty darn funky these days
Marc, just so I understand correctly what you just said. You basically are saying that the FM iPhone game holds more data and such than a CM manager PC product correct?

If this is the case then since I know that you were able to make such a large database available for all devices it seems like they should be able to find a way to cut down on the memory usage for IOOTP or to accommodate it into the older devices somehow. This game is already not getting released before opening day obviously because opening day has passed. So I don't see the need to rush this out there if things like this can be fixed up.
hobbitrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #69
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Marc, just so I understand correctly what you just said. You basically are saying that the FM iPhone game holds more data and such than a CM manager PC product correct?
Yes an OLD one (from the year 2001 when machines with 64Mb of RAM were meaty).

Do also bear in mind that FMHi isn't quite as 'stat happy' as OOTP is - as such the database mining required to display pages and memory required hold the game data is far less than is likely to be the case for OOTPi.

(I was just giving an example to show that iPhone games today are a far cry from the relatively simplistic phone games of a few years ago)

Quote:
If this is the case then since I know that you were able to make such a large database available for all devices it seems like they should be able to find a way to cut down on the memory usage for IOOTP or to accommodate it into the older devices somehow.
I expect the problem isn't memory usage as much as processor power on those devices tbh - the later iOS devices have decidedly more processor power and as such will find running intensive applications (such as OOTPi is likely to be) much easier.

I'm sure if its possible to support the older devices Markus will do so and I expect that the decision not to do so wasn't taken lightly (most likely simply because he thought the game wasn't as good as it could be on them due to speed/responsiveness) - but I'm putting words into his mouth here and guessing tbh - so better wait for Markus to reply himself.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #70
Cusefan95
Minors (Double A)

I am really looking forward to trying this out. I used to be a fan of OOTP, but after the merge with SI, I didn't enjoy it anymore. I came back for last year's version of the game and while it was OK, I figured it would be the last one I ever bought.

But this sounds like a perfect fit for me, and the prices on iApps are great! No more $30-$40 PC baseball games needed!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #71
cdheer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
All I'm hoping for is that you guys can somehow find a solution for the memory problem that older devices would have. I know someone earlier in the thread said to just get a new device,but I think what people fail to realize here is nowdays thats not simple for some people. I mean look at how much the Iphone 4 costs,its what $300-$400? I mean I realize how far the technology has advanced however some people cxan't simply afford to go and "just get a new one" Especially if their device works fine right now,and with Apple having turned a blind eye on the older gen devices,we simply don't need the devlopers to do the same. So I truly hope that enough time is taken with beta testing to find a solution to this problem.
My older laptop won't run Crysis. My only options are to (A) get a new laptop or desktop PC that can run it, or (B) not play Crysis.

Sooner or later, older devices stop running newer things and sooner or later, developers have to move on.
Originally Posted by Dave Barry
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
cdheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #72
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

As far as I know (Marc, maybe you can jump in) Apple dropped the support for old devices with the new iOS 4.3?
Sebastian Palkowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #73
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
As far as I know (Marc, maybe you can jump in) Apple dropped the support for old devices with the new iOS 4.3?
I ehhh I can jump in here real quick to say that yes they did. Having attempted to upgrade to IOS 4.3 myself I found this out the hard way.
hobbitrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #74
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
Apple themselves won't support older devices with iOS4.3 (in fact I think they stopped older devices from upgrading to an iOS4.x revisions if I remember right) ....

However its entirely possible to build applications to support older devices and iOS revisions if you're careful/sensible.