Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
shinomourikenji
Bat Boy

Coach tactics glitch?

So I started a sandbox game and simmed through the first season, then started an expansion team. The first season went alright, but the head coach i hired retired after one season. So I hired michel therrien during my second season and He took my team to the conference final then lost, in the second season under therrien the team absolutely bombed and halfway through I noticed he was using an ultra conservative offense/neutral zone trap, my owner wouldn't let me fire him until we missed the playoffs. Going into the next season I hired barry trotz to lead my team. I can't remember what setup he was using but it was different than therrien's. Trotz led the team to the stanley cup, then at the start of the second season the team was bombing badly, so I go to check out his tactics and guess what he switched to Ultra conservative offense/neutral zone trap.

Has anyone else experienced an issue similar to this?
shinomourikenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
DFyvie
Major Leagues

What systems were being employed before they went with the trap and ultra-conservative?
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

That's very strange, Trotz's settings are biased slightly towards offensive systems, so he really shouldn't be going so defence-heavy unless you've really loaded the roster with defence-first players. Did you make any major player moves in that offseason.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #4
shinomourikenji
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
That's very strange, Trotz's settings are biased slightly towards offensive systems, so he really shouldn't be going so defence-heavy unless you've really loaded the roster with defence-first players. Did you make any major player moves in that offseason.
I did not, I actually stayed with pretty much the same team because I had made the playoffs for the second year in a row and could still afford all my key players. If anything changed it was on the 4th line. Its kind of hard to tell because when my team started bombing I was making desperation trades to try and fix it before I realized the change in tactics.

The second time it happened I literally took the same team, and same coach, I had just one the Stanley cup and felt pretty good about my repeat chances.

I've played about 8 more seasons since then, It happened once in the middle and I was able to fix it by firing and rehiring my coach using comish mode. It just happened again in my most recent season Dan Bylsma went from a puck possession/boucher system that he had successfully used to guide my team to 4 consecutive cup finals, only winning one sadly, to the ultraconservative/neutral zone trap. I tried using the comish mode fix but it still didn't work, so I fired byslma and hired a new head coach and it kept the same tactics. I even tried releasing my coach and it will not let my change the tactics.

I'm going to finish the season and see what it does next year.
shinomourikenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Bylsma's slightly more likely to use a defensive system, but not that much. I think we should have a look at the save if you can upload it.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

Was there ever a solution found to this issue? I just saw this happen to me as well. I hired a coach who played puck control/1-3-1 (his preferences are for standard offense and balanced physically) and my team won the Cup. I brought back the entire same team except for one defenseman and a reserve player and the tactics flipped to ultraconservative/neutral zone trap. The previous coach, who was defensive minded, used those systems and that's why I replaced him, to get away from that. Now my Rookie of the Year from last season who had 39 goals is playing on the 4th line behind a player who I intended on being a reserve but who is better defensively.
kstepanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Olson101
Bat Boy

I've been having this same issue myself. I was playing with the Oilers and had McLeallan coaching who has a offensive preference. After we had lost to the Kings in 7 in the WCF, we started out terrible the next year and my tactics were also set to ultra conservative/ neutral zone trap. Just wondering if there was any fix to this?
Thank you!
Olson101 is offline   Reply With Quote