Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 12-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
blink
Minors (Triple A)

Feeder Leagues

Just bought the game the other day and have started up a Mariners dynasty using Quick Start feature. I'm currently at the beginning of the 2019 offseason after simming through the playoffs.

My question involves feeder leagues and draft prospects. I want to make sure that any prospects coming into the amateur draft have fictional stats (HS/college) for each player so it can assist in my player evaluation.

Will the game create stats for these prospects automatically before the amateur draft or would I have to have feeder leagues started to create these stats?

If I do need feeder leagues, is there an option to create feeder leagues in an existing Quick Start game? Or, would I have to start over again?

Total newbie to this game so thanks in advance!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
cavebutter
All Star Starter

My recollection is that if feeders are not enabled, draft prospects have game-generated fictional stats that line up somehow with their ratings. I also believe that they will only have 1 year of these stats. (Maybe 2 if they didn't sign/weren't drafted)

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Feeder leagues are a pain. They are a means to an end.The Pro's are pretty good but the Cons are pretty bad after time has passed. Particularly if your computer is lower end.

Pro: What they do provide is a draft pool that can be scouted, predicted, and has an actual history of stats. This is crucial if you favor stats only play with all ratings turned off. While playing stats only drafting without feeders is a total crap shoot because the game generated stat line is meaningless. At least as far as I can tell. Feeders provide a 3-8 year stat history so you can see how prospects have progressed. It also gives you the opportunity to plan for drafts two, three and four seasons down the road. It gives you the opportunity to actually BE a scout in game. Feeders don't just create players they also create coaches, trainers, and managers. So your pool of available personnel will get bigger and more diverse. That is a good thing.

Con: What they are not is a simulation of actual real world amateur baseball. They are pretty simplistic in operation. You need a hell of a lot of them. There is a formula for the number of feeder teams needed to provide a draft pool worked out by one of the members a few years back. It's a pretty good guide: Draft Rounds Needed = 5 x # Minor League Levels and Feeder League Teams Needed = (#Major League Teams x # Draft Rounds) / 6 So you end up with a heck of a lot of feeder teams. 140-160 is typical for 30 team ML and minors at every level. These teams play games, generate stats, make players, create history. Which means they consume game resources. Which means the slow they game down. The effect is small and incremental but cumulative. After 100 seasons you are noticing the difference with a good computer. Sooner with a system with limited memory.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
Lawn Loaf
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Feeder leagues are a pain. They are a means to an end.The Pro's are pretty good but the Cons are pretty bad after time has passed. Particularly if your computer is lower end.

Pro: What they do provide is a draft pool that can be scouted, predicted, and has an actual history of stats. This is crucial if you favor stats only play with all ratings turned off. While playing stats only drafting without feeders is a total crap shoot because the game generated stat line is meaningless. At least as far as I can tell. Feeders provide a 3-8 year stat history so you can see how prospects have progressed. It also gives you the opportunity to plan for drafts two, three and four seasons down the road. It gives you the opportunity to actually BE a scout in game. Feeders don't just create players they also create coaches, trainers, and managers. So your pool of available personnel will get bigger and more diverse. That is a good thing.

Con: What they are not is a simulation of actual real world amateur baseball. They are pretty simplistic in operation. You need a hell of a lot of them. There is a formula for the number of feeder teams needed to provide a draft pool worked out by one of the members a few years back. It's a pretty good guide: Draft Rounds Needed = 5 x # Minor League Levels and Feeder League Teams Needed = (#Major League Teams x # Draft Rounds) / 6 So you end up with a heck of a lot of feeder teams. 140-160 is typical for 30 team ML and minors at every level. These teams play games, generate stats, make players, create history. Which means they consume game resources. Which means the slow they game down. The effect is small and incremental but cumulative. After 100 seasons you are noticing the difference with a good computer. Sooner with a system with limited memory.
I haven't seen the feeders create any trainers or scouts, all I have seen is they have a manager only.

Mr. Marlin, I see you know quite a bit about feeders, so I thought I'd ask you this question about my quest to build my ultimate league with feeders:

I only have a HS feeder league that will feed into MLB. I have planned to put in 1500 teams to try and mimic real life. In my league I set up the college leagues as individual conferences all associated with one another to play a tournament to try and mimic the college world series.
What I want to happen is for my MLB draft to be about 10-15 rounds, and have it set to create enough rounds worth so the rest of the unsigned draft class can be FA's free to sign wherever. They may sign with colleges, indy's. I know that it won't be realistic to have former minor leaguers signing with college teams, but that's just the way it goes. I plan on setting up a budget for each college team based on their real life prestige and finances. The colleges will have age limits so eventually the MLB teams will have a chance to sign them if they develop.

So enough with the rambling, my question to you is what would be the ideal team limit based on my machines specs: Intel i5-8600k 3.60 ghz integrated graphics, 16 gb ram.
And how many draft rounds beyond the 10-15 to fill about 400 college teams with 5 players apiece?
Lawn Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Hey Lawn Loaf. I have no idea at what point feeder players, games, and history become cumbersome on the games performance. I just know that it definitely happens. There are things you can do the clean it up like deleting players that never made it to the majors. As for how many feeder teams create what number of players per draft class that will depend on how you set them up.

When I start a new game with feeders I use feeder players plus created players for the first few seasons drafts. Those first few seasons I have the player creation ages for the HS feeders set at 14-18 and college 18-21. After the 5th season I change the creation modifier to 14 & 18 respectively and set hard age limits. After the 10th season I have the draft pool from the feeders only. I always do a year by year sim for the first 20 seasons so all the statistical anomalies have worked themselves out. At this point each feeder team is graduating 6-10 players per season. So if you follow this pattern with 1500 teams your draft pool will be 9000 players per season on the low end. Assuming your ML teams are drafting 400 players per draft that is 8600 free agents per season on the low side. They will do things. Sign with indy leagues, sigh with college teams if their ages are right, sign and get released 3-4 times a day by ML organizations, etc. That is a lot of players the game is now keeping track of, scouting, signing and releasing over and over.

OOTP is a great game. It is as close to "real" as any sports game I've ever played. But it is a computer game that can only mimic reality so far. It performs best when you live in it's reality rather than asking it to operate in ours.

Last edited by Mr. Marlin; 12-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
blink
Minors (Triple A)

Is there a way to turn off feeder leagues once you've started them? I decided not to use them and have deleted all of the feeder leagues that were created. My problem now is that all of the players from those leagues are FA's.

I'm ok with that but want to make sure that all draft prospects are created by the game when it generates the draft pool and not feeder leagues. Looked last night for awhile but could not find an option to turn feeder leagues off.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Is there a way to turn off feeder leagues once you've started them? I decided not to use them and have deleted all of the feeder leagues that were created. My problem now is that all of the players from those leagues are FA's.

I'm ok with that but want to make sure that all draft prospects are created by the game when it generates the draft pool and not feeder leagues. Looked last night for awhile but could not find an option to turn feeder leagues off.
There is not turning them on or off. If you deleted them they are off. They only work when they exist. You next draft will be all created based on whatever age parameters you have set up just like before you made the feeders. You'll just have a large free agent pool for a few seasons. They will start to disappear as they age.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Feeder leagues are primarily problematic to me because IRL the third of players who get drafted from high school come from like 10,000 high schools, which means that most high schools are going to have between 0 and 1 player good enough for teams to want to draft. Yet, with these leagues basically every player produced is intended to be drafted. If you dial up the number of teams, yes, you will wind up not drafting every player, but your league will get very, very flat, as the average player you do draft will be much, much better and the best players the game generates can only become so good since the internal ratings have a maximum upper limit.

I think none other than Curt Schilling ran into this when he decided to have a full college system a few years ago. Having 1500 high schools would have a similar issue.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote