Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
davolson
Minors (Single A)

Setting Playoff Rosters

I am about to start Round 1 of the 2009 MLB Playoffs with the Boston Red Sox. How do playoff rosters work?

Do I have to set my roster at the start of each series, like in real life? Or can I move players to the squad, game by game, like during the regular season?

Also, I want to leave a couple of veteran players off the playoff squad, and keep a couple of youngsters. The only option I see for reducing my roster down to 25 from the inflated September callups roster is to demote players to the minor leagues, and when I try that with these veterans they either refuse to report, or they have to clear waivers.

So is there some other way to set playoff rosters other than demoting them (or DFAing / putting them on waivers)?

Dave
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Flying Dutchmen
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolson View Post
I am about to start Round 1 of the 2009 MLB Playoffs with the Boston Red Sox. How do playoff rosters work?

Do I have to set my roster at the start of each series, like in real life? Or can I move players to the squad, game by game, like during the regular season?

Also, I want to leave a couple of veteran players off the playoff squad, and keep a couple of youngsters. The only option I see for reducing my roster down to 25 from the inflated September callups roster is to demote players to the minor leagues, and when I try that with these veterans they either refuse to report, or they have to clear waivers.

So is there some other way to set playoff rosters other than demoting them (or DFAing / putting them on waivers)?

Dave
As far as I know, there is not. The playoff roster/eligibility rules are significantly underdeveloped as compared to modern-day MLB rules.
Flying Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchmen View Post
As far as I know, there is not. The playoff roster/eligibility rules are significantly underdeveloped as compared to modern-day MLB rules.
The main issue is that the roster is not locked by series as RL rules require. That allows on the fly replacements for all injuries even within a series. An even bigger problem is that the other teams move players during the playoffs. This results in many players being available on waivers. These players can be snapped up by playoff team and instantly onto the 25 man roster. The worst example of this in one of my leagues was a player who played for one team, eliminated in the first round, who ended up getting the winning hit in the WS for another. After that happened, I set waivers and DFA to 31 days to prevent player movement during the playoffs. That would work for your current problem too.

As for the OP; sitting out veterans who have no options left would require waivers IRL too, so that is realistic. Same for players that refuse demotion.

The poor playoff roster development in OOTPX is a serious and inexplicable flaw. It must be fixed in v11.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 11-28-2009 at 11:17 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
davolson
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
After that happened, I set waivers and DFA to 31 days to prevent player movement during the playoffs. That would work for your current problem too.
Thanks. I already went in and changed the manager controls for my opponent so that I, and not the AI, control its roster moves. But your solution takes care of all the teams, not just my opponent.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
davolson
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
After that happened, I set waivers and DFA to 31 days to prevent player movement during the playoffs. That would work for your current problem too.
When I go to the League Setup / Rules screen to change the timing to address this problem, I see a checkbox option to "Disable right to refuse minor league assignment". If I do that, I presume then I can send down my veteran. In real life, when you leave a veteran off your playoff team, you're not sending him down to the minors, you're just leaving him off the playoff squad, as far as I understand how that works. So temporarily disabling this refusal option should address that problem.

And I was able to deal with my other problem guy as well... I turned off the checkbox option "Enable option years". So now that guy has agreed to leave the playoff squad too. I'll just have to remember to turn these back to the defaults after the playoffs are over, as well as the DFA and waiver lengths back to 3 days and 10 days.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
clamel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolson View Post
Thanks. I already went in and changed the manager controls for my opponent so that I, and not the AI, control its roster moves. But your solution takes care of all the teams, not just my opponent.
If one picks roster moves not allowed by the AI in setup doesn´t this be enough to stop any roster moves during playoffs.

One has to check injuries and such between series for teams in the playoffs. However I think this is managable.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Libid21
All Star Reserve

How to set closers based on matchup, and LOOGY's...

wrong forum plz delete

Last edited by Libid21; 11-29-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Libid21 is offline   Reply With Quote