Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

replaying the Cleveland Indians history

I am replaying the history of the Indians starting with the 1901 season. I am using the historical transactions option. i want to see if I can manage the team to a better all time record than what their real managers did with the same players.

I do not use the actual lineups as I figure I may want to start someone who the real manager didn't or bat someone in a different lineup spot than the other manager did. i do have injuries set to low, hoping this will even out a little those players who I use more frequently then the real life manager did.

I also play every game as the manager, simming none. It has taken a while but so far I have completed 20 seasons and have some great years as well as not so great ones.

Through my 20 seasons the Indians have a combined record of 1719-1305. I have taken the Indians to the World Series 8 times and won it 4 of those times. The best record so far was the 1904 team going 107-47 and the worst was the 1910 team going 55-99.

Nap Lajoie has been my best hitter of the first 20 seasons and while Addie Joss has been my best pitcher.

Ruth has just started his career with the Yankees and the long ball is becoming more of a weapon. It will be interesting to see if the Indians can keep their success going over the next 20 years.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
I am replaying the history of the Indians starting with the 1901 season. I am using the historical transactions option. i want to see if I can manage the team to a better all time record than what their real managers did with the same players.

I do not use the actual lineups as I figure I may want to start someone who the real manager didn't or bat someone in a different lineup spot than the other manager did. i do have injuries set to low, hoping this will even out a little those players who I use more frequently then the real life manager did.

I also play every game as the manager, simming none. It has taken a while but so far I have completed 20 seasons and have some great years as well as not so great ones.

Through my 20 seasons the Indians have a combined record of 1719-1305. I have taken the Indians to the World Series 8 times and won it 4 of those times. The best record so far was the 1904 team going 107-47 and the worst was the 1910 team going 55-99.

Nap Lajoie has been my best hitter of the first 20 seasons and while Addie Joss has been my best pitcher.

Ruth has just started his career with the Yankees and the long ball is becoming more of a weapon. It will be interesting to see if the Indians can keep their success going over the next 20 years.
What years did you go to the series? Curious if you experienced real success during the Joe Jackson years in the early 1910s
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

Went to the Series in 03,04,06,07,08,13,17, and 18. Won it in 03,04,06, and 17.

The only year the Indians made the Series with Jackson was 1913. He won his lone MVP the previous year hitting .409 3 93.

He is currently the club leader in AVG - .355, OBP - .420, SLG - .510, as well as OPS - .930,

He ended up with a career line of .340 62 855. He played on 3 championship teams - the 1909 A's, the 1915 White Sox, and the 1919 White Sox.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Glad to hear Joe made the right choice in 1919.

That’s quite a dynasty from 03-06! Who were your best players , besides Lajoie?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Have you ran into any issues using the low injury setting? I guess I'm wondering about a career ending injury to a player and how that would effect the game when it comes to later transactions the player may be involved in. Just curious. Thanks.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

Bill Bradley, Charlie Hickman, and Elmer Flick helped out Lajoie with the offensive load. Addie Joss was the anchor of the pitching staff.

1903 saw some great seasons from Hickman and Joss. Hickman hit .336 with 23 hr and 128 rbi while Joss went 23-11 with a 1.93 ERA and a WHIP of 0.93.

Joss won the Rookie of the Year in 1902 and the Pitcher of the Year in 1905. Hickman won the MVP in 1903. Otto Hess won the pitcher of the Year in 1906. Lajoie won 2 MVPs, 1 in 1901 with the Athlectics and 1 in 1904 with the Indians, he also won 4 Gold Glove Awards while with the Tribe.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Have you ran into any issues using the low injury setting? I guess I'm wondering about a career ending injury to a player and how that would effect the game when it comes to later transactions the player may be involved in. Just curious. Thanks.
Haven't had any career ending injuries yet, just some that have ended years early, but those have mainly been fringe players or players who were not healthy that year anyways.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

I would think low would be the way to go in the dead ball era for sure. Players wouldn't sit out for the same kind of injuries that modern players do
Old 12-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

Not to mention that the rosters were so small in the early days if you lost somebody for a stretch of time it was hard to find a replacement that was already on the roster.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Good stuff. I have a historic dynasty for the Indians starting in 1902 - albeit without the historic transactions.

In mine, Joss had one or two good years, but got ruined by injuries. Lajoie was a stud before dropping off abruptly, losing all defensive value around 1908 or so, and most of his offensive value a year or two later. Bradley gave me four very good-to-great years before falling off a cliff.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

How did Hickman do for you? Seemed like he could hit the heck out of the ball but the guy never saw a pitch he didn't like, Took very few walks, reminded me of an old time Vlad Guerrero.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
How did Hickman do for you? Seemed like he could hit the heck out of the ball but the guy never saw a pitch he didn't like, Took very few walks, reminded me of an old time Vlad Guerrero.
Hickman wasn't on the Indians' 1902 Opening Day roster, so he wasn't on my roster when I started the dynasty, and I didn't pick him up. He was productive, but not quite on the level of how he produced for you- led the league in homers, hits, and RBI's in different seasons, and twice led in doubles, but never an MVP candidate - peaked at 5.8 WAR, and that was his only season over 4.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

1921 has been an interesting season in my replay. The deadball era is officially over. With Ruth in full force now with the Yankees it will be tough to hang with them unless I can get career years from a few different players. I'm roughly 100 games in and am in 3rd place 11 games over .500 but those career years are not unfolding as I need them to. In my replay the Indians have always had above average pitching, but this year with the highest team ERA they've ever had (4.43) it's been rough. My ace of the last few years, Stan Coveleski, has really had a down year. He is 8-12 with a 5.12 ERA and a 1.64 WHIP, both of which are career lows. There have been some high points though. I am really starting to fall in love with the middle infield duo of Joe Sewell and Riggs Stephenson. Both of them are hitting over .330 with OBP around or near .400. As much as i want to win the pennant it's July 27th and I'm 13.5 games back of the Yankees, I have a feeling I'm playing for 2nd place.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

1921 has ended with the New York Giants winning their 7th championship. The Indians finished 16 games over .500 but finished in 3rd place 24 games back of the Yankees.

Some notes from the end of the season. In the AL Babe Ruth grabbed his 3rd MVP but is being outdone by the NL's Rogers Hornsby who won his 4th. Babe's numbers are much more eye popping than Rogers' but neither one of them have won a World Series yet.

On the pitching front, Yankees starter Waite Hoyt set a new record for wins in a season with 34. Hoyt went 34-9 with 7 saves a 2.47 ERA and a WHIP of 1.29. The record was previously held by Christy Mathewson who went 32-8 in both 1904 as well as 1908.

The Indians GM didn't do me many favors in the off-season trading my starting 1B George Burns and my starting RF Elmer Smith to the Red Sox for 1B Stuffy McInnis. Elmer holds the team record for RBI with 143 in 1920 and George was a solid number 5 hitter for the last couple of years. He then released my team leader in saves Jesse Petty who had 13, but that wasn't as big of a loss because he never really nailed down the job. Last but not least he sold one of my bench players, Doc Johnston to the A's. Doc was never a star but a reliable player off the bench who could fill in when a 1B went down with w minor injury.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

I'm coming to the end of the 1923 season. The Indians have been chasing the Yankees the whole second half of the season and have gotten within 2 games of them with only 4 games remaining for each team. The Yankees finish with 4 against the Philadelphia A's who are a middle of the road team in 5th place with a 73-77 record (would be nice to see them finish .500) and the Indians finish with a game against the St. Louis Browns and then a 3 games series with the Chicago White Sox who have given the Tribe trouble all year. Should be an interesting finish.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

Game 1 is in the books, the Indians jumped out with 3 runs in the top of the first against the Browns and never lost that lead in a 12-2 win. James Edwards went to 25-9 to most likely end the year with the 3rd most wins ever in a season for the Tribe.

The Yankees grabbed the lead in the 4th 2-0 but couldn't hold on as the A's scored 2 in the 6th then won in the 11th with Cy Perkins hitting his 4th HR of the year a solo shot to give them the lead and the win.

3 games left only 1 behind now!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
Chief Wahoo
Major Leagues

Game 2 of the final 4 comes around and t comes with some issues. The dog days have been just that, fighting and scrapping for every win we could get. The Indians have played 14 straight days coming into this game and don't have another off day until the season ends, but I would have to think that adrennalin would push you through those tired times.
Well apparently not for first baseman Frank Brower. He has been one of if not the biggest strengths of the Indians all year. He has hit .329 30 155, he has been leading the MLB in RBI for most of the year, he has set the Indians single season record for HR. Needless to say he has been a big part of the offense, well with the heat of the pennant race looming and only 3 games guess who feels too tired to start today's game..... I about feel out of my chair. We end up losing a close one while the Yankees win to put the lead back to 2 with 2 games left. If i wore the GM hat I would trade him right now!