Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #41
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Hi there, Mariners and Giants Fan...

I agree on Ozzie being the best shortstop probably ever.

As for Jeter's headiness...

Let's see...

Sans "headiness",
A player stands at the shortstop position,
has excellent range,
can throw on target,
can successfully field the hardest balls hit in his excellent range...

After that everything a shortstop does requires headiness...

This other guy may pick the ball up and not know where to throw it,
may not put himself in the right place to make plays (A's playoff game),
may not cover 2nd base when it's his job to do so on a stolen base attempt...
may collide with an outfielder going after a ball hit in between the infield & the outfield...
If I were more heady I could rattle off more, in fact the sentence before this paragraph says it all. (the one in bold)
Hiya OGM! I would postulate that "Headiness" has nothing to do with a ball players defense or offense for that matter though maybe a little with leadership which is where Jeter truly excelled (oh and with the ladies as well). I mean how does being shrewd or intelligent have anything to do with playing better defense? Think about it, as defense is a combination of learned memory (practice and experience) and physical skills. Without excelling at those, smartness gets you nada. Does that make sense?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 AM   #42
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
Hiya OGM! I would postulate that "Headiness" has nothing to do with a ball players defense or offense for that matter though maybe a little with leadership which is where Jeter truly excelled (oh and with the ladies as well). I mean how does being shrewd or intelligent have anything to do with playing better defense? Think about it, as defense is a combination of learned memory (practice and experience) and physical skills. Without excelling at those, smartness gets you nada. Does that make sense?
The last sentence makes a great deal of sense (you need the basic fielding skills), but smartness would be one more attribute. Have you ever played shortstop? Think of it like a player's baseball DNA...his infielder, specifically shortstop IQ is a very important differentiator between Jeter & MAYBE at times a player like Alex Rodriguez out there. I don't want to get down on A-Rod when he was a great SS...but he had such natural talent that at times I would say he was stupid out there...

And if you've ever played SS or carefully observed a shortstop you can see you need to be awake AND smart out there in many instances on many plays.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 02-21-2020 at 12:27 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #43
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
The last sentence makes a great deal of sense (you need the basic fielding skills), but smartness would be one more attribute. Have you ever played shortstop? Think of it like a player's baseball DNA...his infielder, specifically shortstop IQ is a very important differentiator between Jeter & MAYBE at times a player like Alex Rodriguez out there. I don't want to get down on A-Rod when he was a great SS...but he had such natural talent that at times I would say he was stupid out there...

And if you've ever played SS or carefully observed a shortstop you can see you need to be awake AND smart out there in many instances on many plays.
I would agree with you about "smartness" if it was say an excellent athlete in Baseball versus one from say Basketball. However, when you compare an athlete that has made it to the level of Major League Shortstop with similar years in experience then I see the difference in "smartness" as infinitesimal and not a factor at all. What I am saying is that the smartness factor between Jeter and Arod is so negligible that it is a non-factor.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:38 AM   #44
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

That led to an image in my mind of two fictitious SSs.

1. Derek Jeter's head on Alex Rodriguez's body.

2. Alex Rodriguez's head on Derek Jeter's body.

I don't know but I'll take Frankenstein shortstop number 1

I feel like 2 has drastically altered Derek Jeter's abilities in a mostly detrimental manner.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #45
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
That led to an image in my mind of two fictitious SSs.

1. Derek Jeter's head on Alex Rodriguez's body.

2. Alex Rodriguez's head on Derek Jeter's body.

I don't know but I'll take Frankenstein shortstop number 1

I feel like 2 has drastically altered Derek Jeter's abilities in a mostly detrimental manner.
Well, that's if you think the brain, which lies within the head, has nothing to do with A-Rod's massive advantage over Jeter in being able to hit the ball.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote