Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Do you guys play your games or sim them?

By play I mean like enter into the game and do the 1. Swing Away, 2. Take pitch, ECT or do you just click finish day? I was just wondering because this is my 2nd installment of this series and I just recently found out about posting on the forum and stuff and I wanted to see how other people play. I've done a lot to the Marlins franchise and just started a new game with them had to trade away a lot of prospects and draft picks (I have trade draft picks on) Also whats the best you ever transformed a team into screenshots would be cool if you have them. (I don't have commissioner mode on I can post trade screen shots if you would like)

Rotation

Depth Chart

Front Office/Financials

Twittah
Youtube
Noah2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
louisvillec271
Minors (Triple A)

It's amazing how often this question crops up in the forum in new threads. This questions has been posed dozens of times and had returned all types of various answers, which is to be expected.

A few questions...

Why did you create a new thread to ask this question, when you could have done a simple search and found an existing thread dedicated to this topic?

Why are you seeking this answer to begin with? Shouldn't you play the game in a manner which provides the most enjoyment, that suits your preferences?

Why is it important to you how other people play the game? Will the responses given by forum members shape or alter the way in which you play?

I ask these questions because they are questions you probably should have first asked of yourself. I realize that you may find this response to be abrasive, that isn't the intent of the response. I just think it would be a good idea to ask some simple questions to yourself before turning to the forum to initiate some discourse on the topic.
louisvillec271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Edited. Just not worth it.

Last edited by jaysdailydose; 10-11-2014 at 11:53 AM.
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I'll actually answer your question.

I sim games because I'm lucky if I get an hour total during a week to play, so taking months and months to complete a single season just doesn't appeal to me. I do have league started in 1986 that I play out games once in a blue moon when I get the itch to play nine innings, but the majority of my game play is simming.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
aaronhelman
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Sim most games, manage playoffs, or games at the end of the regular season when playoffs are in reach. And I usually manage the first week or so of the season. Other times I manage games:

1. When my bullpen is absolutely exhausted and I need to find a way to negotiate rest-time for a lot of hurlers.

2. If it's a pitching matchup that's appealing; i.e., my ace vs. theirs.

3. If a player is approaching a milestone that I want to "be a part of."

4. If I just brought a player up to the big club or traded for someone, I'll usually manage the first couple of games.

All told, I probably sim 120 regular season games, manage the other 40ish, and manage the playoffs.
aaronhelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

I play every game in one-pitch mode, sometimes switching to pitch-by-pitch if there are runners on. It takes months and months for me to complete a season, but it's very satisfying.
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Sim every game. I like getting deep into my leagues so I sim my seasons one game at a time and every few days I check my lineup and rotation to see if everyone is doing ok or if I need to make any changes. Plus I look at basically every game's box score.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhelman View Post
Sim most games, manage playoffs, or games at the end of the regular season when playoffs are in reach. And I usually manage the first week or so of the season. Other times I manage games:

1. When my bullpen is absolutely exhausted and I need to find a way to negotiate rest-time for a lot of hurlers.

4. If I just brought a player up to the big club or traded for someone, I'll usually manage the first couple of games.

All told, I probably sim 120 regular season games, manage the other 40ish, and manage the playoffs.
Thanks to the people who answered and make a forum a welcoming place to a newcomer but anyways I like this idea a lot but a part of my OCD would get to me here I might try it out in a practice world though great suggestion!

Twittah
Youtube
Noah2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhelman View Post

Very close to what I do. To me it is the perfect way to play without getting jaded.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

I sim every game and manage the playoffs. I want to get through decades in my leagues and playing every game I can't do that.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillec271 View Post
It's amazing how often this question crops up in the forum in new threads. This questions has been posed dozens of times and had returned all types of various answers, which is to be expected.

A few questions...

Why did you create a new thread to ask this question, when you could have done a simple search and found an existing thread dedicated to this topic?

Why are you seeking this answer to begin with? Shouldn't you play the game in a manner which provides the most enjoyment, that suits your preferences?

Why is it important to you how other people play the game? Will the responses given by forum members shape or alter the way in which you play?

I ask these questions because they are questions you probably should have first asked of yourself. I realize that you may find this response to be abrasive, that isn't the intent of the response. I just think it would be a good idea to ask some simple questions to yourself before turning to the forum to initiate some discourse on the topic.
I'm not trying to confront you or anything but it is kinda dead around here. It's not like this thread is pushing a hop topic off the 1st page or anything. So, IMO, any conversation-starter is just as good as another. Especially when it's a new member. Around here we tend to warmly welcome people to the board and we try to encourage as much participation as possible. Unlike most forums it's very friendly around here.

In any event, this is one of my personal favorite topics. I love to read about what other people are doing. These harmless little threads tend explode and all kinds of goodies are discussed.

Searches are a good thing when when one is attempting to gather information. But they are less useful when someone is basically just trying to introduce themselves to the community.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

For me quick sims just won't do. I usually sim one-day-at-time. I have a routine where I read all the news first clicking on every player profile along the way. I pay special attention to thin gs like player of the week, player of the month, top prospects list etc.

Also, I "one-pitch" mode every all-star game and award an All-star game MVP award to the player of the game by editing the history of the player. During the playoffs I watch in "live simulcast" at 10 speed.

If I am not in god-mode and I actually am a GM I try to play out at least one game per series. I find that if I force myself to slow it down I get much more immersed in the league.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
Sim every game. I like getting deep into my leagues so I sim my seasons one game at a time and every few days I check my lineup and rotation to see if everyone is doing ok or if I need to make any changes. Plus I look at basically every game's box score.
I haven't been going through each box score but I need to.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I haven't been going through each box score but I need to.
Yeah I find it helps me know my players better, in lieu of actually managing the game. Although sometimes if I get completely blown out or am going through an annoying losing streak (4+ games) I will sim ahead one game at a time until my next win
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Izz
Hall Of Famer

If i'm not managing a team, i sim week-by-week during the season, and month-by-month during the offseason, occasionally switching to day-by-day if it's a really tight division race or something else interesting is happening.

If i'm managing a team, i play every game out, pitch-by-pitch. Sure, it takes me a while to get through a season, but i love that level of immersion. Plus, i get to make all sorts of managerial mistakes

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

I used to be a mass simmer, but these days I've been enjoying playing the games out in one-pitch mode and getting immersed in my league a little more. It helps me get to know who is who and come up with interesting storylines to keep things fresh.

In the last league I had where I was simming regularly I had taken to pouring through each box score so I could see how my players were doing each day. Helped get some of the same effect without playing frequently.

Last edited by Lafayette53; 10-11-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

In my main league the EBL vs MLB, I play out about 75% of the games in full. I will sim when i am bored or very far in front of the 2nd place team or far back in the standings. for this season I simmed more then I usually do, since I have not had a ton of time to play except on weekends. I will play out all September games so i can get callups the AB's & IP I want them to get. Hoping to get done with this season by Thanksgiving.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #18
KGHerm
Bat Boy

I've been bouncing back and forth from being a GM and sim day by day, only stopping when I need to take action, and start a managing career from the bottom, playing one-pitch mode.

I'm still looking for more ways to play, as I cannot find a fun balance that can keep me interested and moving along quickly, and getting to know my players and getting in-depth with my team/league.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I always simulate them in OOTP. In the 6 versions i bought i think i've played out under 10 games.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #20
JCarter93
Minors (Double A)

Yeah it's just a question of preference. The beauty of this game is that you can play as detailed or as quickly as you like. I sim some, play some.
JCarter93 is offline   Reply With Quote