Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #61
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by benitovo View Post

I have league reputations set low. Is it possible free agents don't want to sign with these leagues until they are desperate for a job?
I'd guess that's the case.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #62
benitovo
Bat Boy

I increased the league reputations and deleted all players from one of my independent leagues (left the other 5 leagues full of fictional players) to see if teams signed enough players. Each team signed 4-6 players before the season started, and I had to fill them out with fictional players. However, after the season started, players started signing quickly (I think more quickly than when the leagues had lower reputations, so some improvement).

At the start of the second season of the Atlantic League (I set it as May 1), only a couple teams had full rosters (25). The other teams had between 15-20 players. Teams in other leagues had fewer players (some had none). I'll sim ahead to see if the teams in other leagues eventually sign enough players, but I'm not optimistic. The one year contract maximum seems to cause problems, even with extensions enabled. Too much turnover and teams not refilling their rosters.

I also saw a few players signed to huge contracts. Two players signed $8.3 million deals in the Frontier League. An Atlantic League team signed some minor league MR to a $5.5 million contract.
benitovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #63
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

I have 1 year contracts and 1 year extension and teams refill their roster yearly.

Only problem I have is with the Atlantic league (league rep is 8) which recently stopped filling its rosters up. Not sure why but that league was fine before.

As for guys signing massive contracts, I think that is not exclusive to indy leagues as Ive seen some minor league FA's signed all-star type contracts in my MLB league. Its not often but it does happen...Maybe a bug in the game?

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 08-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #64
benitovo
Bat Boy

Good to know it can work. I'll just keep adjusting settings and see what I get. Maybe my financials are too low or too high.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #65
benitovo
Bat Boy

Well, I saw some improvement. Atlantic League teams end up with full rosters, although they sign many free agents after the season begins. I guess those are the players who waited for a MLB deal but finally give up and settle for an independent league. Teams in other leagues are not filling up their rosters as well, though. When I get the illegal roster error message, I fill out those teams with fictional players. When I sim forward a day, those teams have added a number of real players and forced many of the new guys to the reserve roster. Why can't they do that a day earlier?

Some changes I made:
  • Allowed all leagues to have multi-year contracts plus extensions. Not realistic but hopefully allows for more stability.
  • Increased the league reputations for all indy leagues (maybe I should decrease the international leagues too)
  • Increased number of service days for free agency (a few guys stick around with too few days)
  • Limits (35) on international minor/reserve roster size (I saw teams with 90 guys on the reserve roster, including former indy players, so maybe some of those guys will end up back in the indy leagues)
After I changed the financial settings to allow multi-year contracts, I created fictional contracts, but every players still got one year. I hoped that having more multi-year deals at the beginning would allow for some stability. Is there a way to have the game generate longer contracts, or should I edit player by player?

A few other questions for those who've created successful indy league setups:
  • Would a higher salary cap/revenue make a difference (highest right now is Atlantic with $275,000)? Teams usually have money for free agents, but sometimes it gets tied up in offers. Maybe players (even the terrible ones) don't want to sign for peanuts?
  • Should these leagues be set to "owner controls budget" or "all revenues available"? If "all revenues available" and the team loses too much money, will they have no money for free agents?
  • What kind of cash maximum do others have set? I don't have all of my numbers available, but the Atlantic league is set to $250,000 I think. Could lower be better?

Sorry for all of the questions. I've tried some tests but I'd love to just get playing (willing to edit rosters manually each year if I have to). I figure there are people smarter than me and more familiar with this type of setup who already have things that work. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #66
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

What are your league reputation settings?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #67
benitovo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
What are your league reputation settings?
I think 8 for Atlantic, 7 for Can-Am, American Association, and Frontier, and 6 for a couple of fictional leagues. I don't believe I changed any of the other leagues from the default settings.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #68
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benitovo View Post
I think 8 for Atlantic, 7 for Can-Am, American Association, and Frontier, and 6 for a couple of fictional leagues. I don't believe I changed any of the other leagues from the default settings.
That's about what I would have.

I still haven't figured out how much the league reps relate to each other. Is it a relative number or a set value. For example, if I have two leagues and one is a 10 and the other is a 9, is the difference the same as if it was a 10 and 1?

Maybe a better way to put it, is the rep number a ranking or a descriptor? Does 10 mean elite and 1 mean garbage, or is 1 simply ranked below 10?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #69
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
That's about what I would have.

I still haven't figured out how much the league reps relate to each other. Is it a relative number or a set value. For example, if I have two leagues and one is a 10 and the other is a 9, is the difference the same as if it was a 10 and 1?

Maybe a better way to put it, is the rep number a ranking or a descriptor? Does 10 mean elite and 1 mean garbage, or is 1 simply ranked below 10?
I'm nearly certain 10 means elite and 1 means garbage. Markus hasn't fully explained the reps, but some of what he has said leads me to strongly believe that's the case.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #70
benitovo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I have 1 year contracts and 1 year extension and teams refill their roster yearly.

Only problem I have is with the Atlantic league (league rep is 8) which recently stopped filling its rosters up. Not sure why but that league was fine before.
Do the teams fill their rosters throughout the offseason or all at once at right before the season? I'm seeing teams fill their rosters on the first day of the season (sometimes after I'm able to advance despite an illegal number of players).