Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
As for the age limits, it was stated in the release info that MiLB service time limits would be added for OOTP15. To quote:

There's currently some discussion in beta as to whether service time or age limits are better, but it seems pretty clear at this point that, barring any last minute issues, one of the two types of limits will be in 15.
Please put them both in. Both are needed.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Please put them both in. Both are needed.
I'm all for that. But considering that it's taken Markus years to get around to coding either, I suspect that we'll have to make do with one or the other.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I'm all for that. But considering that it's taken Markus years to get around to coding either, I suspect that we'll have to make do with one or the other.
You are likely right, but we do need both.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
le receveur
All Star Starter

hopefully the limit will not apply to rehab assignments. I would hate to have to start demoting guys in AAA and AA just to fit a 3 weeks rehab.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #25
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
hopefully the limit will not apply to rehab assignments. I would hate to have to start demoting guys in AAA and AA just to fit a 3 weeks rehab.
The way the real rules function is that they allow 1 or 2 'overage' or 'overlimit' players per team. No idea if that'll happen with the OOTP rules but it'd be nice if it does.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #26
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
An real life example where Age limits would seem much more appropriate than service time:

SP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez of the Phillies, the 27yo from Cuba. It is looking like he isn't MLB ready but there is talk of sending him to AAA or possibly AA, should they be allowed to send him to rookie ball? Based on service time limits you could but age limits wouldn't allow it.
I see nothing in the real-life rules (as far as I have available) which would prevent him from playing in Rookie.

There are age limits in the lower, short-season minors but these do not prohibit players from over a set age but rather restrict the number of players over a given age who can be on the roster at any one time. (And in any case players from foreign leagues are exempt from such age restrictions.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There was a discussion of this in the beta forums last week. Some online folks thought morale did affect development. Markus was very clear that morale does not affect development.

No need to look at the wording in the manual etc. There's no question on this, morale does not affect development. That's straight from Markus.
performance does not always = development
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #28
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
The way the real rules function is that they allow 1 or 2 'overage' or 'overlimit' players per team. No idea if that'll happen with the OOTP rules but it'd be nice if it does.
i am aware of the RL rules, i'm just curious what OOTP15 will do, because if i have to move guys down just to create spots for Rehab, it becomes a problem, especially if it had to move one of my better prospects, and get negative mood reaction.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #29
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

I do know NYPL has both an age and experience limit....three years pro and I think no older than 25, with rare exceptions.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #30
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
I do know NYPL has both an age and experience limit....three years pro and I think no older than 25, with rare exceptions.
According to (2008 edition) Major League Rule 51(b)(1)(C):
  • Short-Season A: No more than three players on the Active List may have four or more years of prior Minor League Service.

According to the Baseball America Directory (1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007-09 editions), for the New York-Penn League it was:
  • No more than four players who are 23 or older; no more than three players on the active list can have four or more years of prior service.

For the Northwest League, it had the same limitation as the NYPL in the 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007 Baseball America Directory editions. However, in the 2008 and 2009 editions, the restrictions were:
  • No more than three players on the active list can have four or more years of prior service.

Whether the NWL actually dropped the age limitations or the Directory accidentally omitted it I cannot say.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #31
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Again, if service time or age limit, it MUST be tested to make sure the AI will not cut players as a first option when enable ghost player is enabled and it wants to send them to A at age 22 and your limit is 21, but instead keep them in AA

In historical replays with a minor league system, OOTP still looks at players from a modern day viewpoint and wants to send almost every player to A because it deems their ratings subpar.

Instead it should look at their ratings and potential

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #32
TRO
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
There was a discussion of this in the beta forums last week. Some online folks thought morale did affect development. Markus was very clear that morale does not affect development.

No need to look at the wording in the manual etc. There's no question on this, morale does not affect development. That's straight from Markus.
Morale may not "directly" impact development, but if morale impacts performance and performance impacts development...well...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #33
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
Morale may not "directly" impact development, but if morale impacts performance and performance impacts development...well...
Performance doesn't impact development
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #34
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

What does? Coaching, playing time?, I know playing doesn't matter for any player on the 40 man roster, (which I totally disagree with)
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #35
HawkyTom
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
What does? Coaching, playing time?, I know playing doesn't matter for any player on the 40 man roster, (which I totally disagree with)

I'm not sure if this is accurate and up to date, but seems like some good info. Although it doesn't say '40-man/secondary roster "Reserve Roster", which is only used if you don't have a minor league system...I think it's just your 'Active Roster' (so bench gets full progression) in standard league with minor league system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTP 14 Manual

Player Development

Players' current and potential ratings change over the course of a season or a career, according to OOTP's player development model. As soon as players are created, they begin developing across the spectrum of their ratings. A number of factors can affect a player's development. Some of these can be controlled, and others cannot. Some of the key development factors are described below:

Coaching / management- The coaching / managing ratings of the general manager, manager, bench coach, hitting coach, and pitching coach can all affect a player's development. See Personnel Ratings for more information.

Playing time- Minor league players who get little playing time might not develop as quickly as others. However, major league players and players on a reserve roster develop normally even without playing time.

Potential / individual qualities- Very talented players often (but not always) develop more quickly. In addition, some players simply develop more quickly than others. You might be baffled by the high-potential player who fails to live up to expectations, or be pleasantly surprised by the late-round draft pick who quickly advances.

Age- Players in OOTP age as seasons go by. Younger players might mature with age. Older players' skills might begin to diminish. Not all players will lose their skills at the same time-some could remain productive into their 40s, while others might fall apart much sooner than that. All these factors can directly affect a player's current ratings or even his potential ratings. Players age in a model that is relatively consistent with modern-day baseball players. You can adjust this by tweaking the player aging modifier. During game creation, this can be found in the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After game creation, navigate to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player and Picture Options.

Challenge- Players respond differently to challenges. Often, a player who is tearing up Double A hitting might not be developing very quickly, because he isn't being challenged. Similarly, putting an overmatched rookie into your major league starting lineup could actually hurt his development.

Injuries- Injuries often cause a player's development to slow, or could even cause his skills to regress. Injuries can immediately affect a player's current ratings and his potential ratings. The more severe an injury is, the more likely that the player's ratings will suffer. See Injuries and Fatigue for more information.

Spring Training- Players have an opportunity to play during spring training, and this often gives them an opportunity to improve outside the regular season. See Spring Training for more information.

Chance- Chance also plays a hand in rating changes. Sometimes, the light bulb inside a player's head will just go on, and he will jump to a new level of play. Players can experience significant changes in their ratings and potential in a short time. Of course, the same is true in reverse. Some players will never live up to their potential.

Player Development Modifiers- The speed with which players develop can also be adjusted by the player development modifiers that can be set during game creation on the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After game creation, navigate to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player and Picture Options.

Disabling Player Development
You can also completely disable OOTP's player development model, meaning that players will never increase or decrease in ratings. This is most often desired by historical simmers who don't want to see Lou Gehrig's contact rating drop, for example. You can disable player development on the Player Options section of the Game Options page. After game creation, navigate to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Player and Picture Options.
link to the quoted portion: http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...er_development

Last edited by HawkyTom; 03-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.
HawkyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #36
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I like this Tom guy. Welcome!

Educated himself by reading the manual. Took the time to research feeders before implementing them. Tom, you seem like a guy that prepares before launch. I'm not sure if you have been playing this game for awhile or if this is just a new-user name or you just don't post much or what but I can tell you are going to get a lot of mileage out of this awesome game.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #37
HawkyTom
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I like this Tom guy. Welcome!

Educated himself by reading the manual. Took the time to research feeders before implementing them. Tom, you seem like a guy that prepares before launch. I'm not sure if you have been playing this game for awhile or if this is just a new-user name or you just don't post much or what but I can tell you are going to get a lot of mileage out of this awesome game.

Hey man, thanks! I'm actually the one who about 2 weeks(?) ago I posted about whether I should buy the OOTP 14 for $20 or wait for OOTP 15 and pre-order...you were pretty convincing that I should go with OOTP 14, so I bought it!

(this is my first OOTP game, but I joined forums in 2012, but ended up going back to mogul, never again!)

I certainly remember you, heh.

Last edited by HawkyTom; 03-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.
HawkyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #38
TRO
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Performance doesn't impact development
Isn't performance part of the challenge aspect reflected in the above excerpt from the manual?

"Challenge- Players respond differently to challenges. Often, a player who is tearing up Double A hitting might not be developing very quickly, because he isn't being challenged. Similarly, putting an overmatched rookie into your major league starting lineup could actually hurt his development."
Old 03-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #39
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
Isn't performance part of the challenge aspect reflected in the above excerpt from the manual?

"Challenge- Players respond differently to challenges. Often, a player who is tearing up Double A hitting might not be developing very quickly, because he isn't being challenged. Similarly, putting an overmatched rookie into your major league starting lineup could actually hurt his development."
Maybe. I don't really know. But I think challenge and performance are different. Performance might effect challenge but then again it might not. There are clearly more parameters to the challenge component than just performance. If that's the case it's a really indirect and probably not at all powerful effect.

This isn't just coming from me. Like I said, Markus himself was very clear that morale has no effect on development. I guess he'd know.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-05-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #40
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You are likely right, but we do need both.
Why? In real life there are no age limits for minor leagues, it's all based on pro service time.

Minor League Service Time & Roster Limits

OOTP 15 will have service time-based limits for minor leagues. Not age limits.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote