Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #81
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Bang on!
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #82
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

You're doing great. Have you thought of uploading your creations to the exchange?
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #83
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
You're doing great. Have you thought of uploading your creations to the exchange?

Do you mean the 3d warehouse?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #84
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Yes, the 3D warehouse. Where'd I get "exchange"?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #85
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, the 3D warehouse. Where'd I get "exchange"?
Yes, eventually. Just want to finish them off a little more before I do that
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #86
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

I'm not getting how you're getting the measurements right. First off, it's in meters so should I just convert everything from the official MLB rules to meters? Also, when I try to do really small squares it just changes to a line. Also, how do you guys usually view it? I'm having a hard time getting a good view. Also the axis lines are sorta in my way. I bet these are all stupid questions that I really should just google (and I will) but yea....

Last edited by Tyler87898; 02-28-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #87
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
I'm not getting how you're getting the measurements right. First off, it's in meters so should I just convert everything from the official MLB rules to meters? Also, when I try to do really small squares it just changes to a line. Also, how do you guys usually view it? I'm having a hard time getting a good view. Also the axis lines are sorta in my way. I bet these are all stupid questions that I really should just google (and I will) but yea....
There's no such thing as a stupid question, so no worries there. When you open Sketchup, go to the "window" menu button and you'll see the "model info" and select the "units" menu selection, and there you'll see how to change things. When I'm doing something large, I'll make it "architectural" with the precision and snapping both set to 1/8". When I was doing product design, I'd use the "fractional" or "engineering" preset with 1/32" settings.

One tip to make really small parts like the squares you mentioned is to first make a general flat surface, then zoom in on that, and then start making progressively smaller pieces. Just remember that when zooming in or out, keep your cursor on a part of the item you're drawing, otherwise you'll rocket past it (pet peeve).

To remove the axis lines for a good export view, just go to the "view" menu button and uncheck "axes".

Keep asking anything you want. I'll help any way I can.

Last edited by goalieump413; 02-28-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #88
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
There's no such thing as a stupid question, so no worries there. When you open Sketchup, go to the "window" menu button and you'll see the "model info" and select the "units" menu selection, and there you'll see how to change things. When I'm doing something large, I'll make it "architectural" with the precision and snapping both set to 1/8". When I was doing product design, I'd use the "fractional" or "engineering" preset with 1/32" settings.

One tip to make really small parts like the squares you mentioned is to first make a general flat surface, then zoom in on that, and then start making progressively smaller pieces. Just remember that when zooming in or out, keep your cursor on a part of the item you're drawing, otherwise you'll rocket past it (pet peeve).

To remove the axis lines for a good export view, just go to the "view" menu button and uncheck "axes".

Keep asking anything you want. I'll help any way I can.
Dude, thanks a lot. I'm gonna try this out.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #89
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

So I think I'm making some good progress. Another question: when drawing the pitcher's mound, the circle covers up one of my ruler lines (the one going from home plate to 2B) so when I make the pitching rubber, I can't get it centered. How should I fix this? I tried recreating the ruler line, but it just goes under the mound.

Also, in the future when creating ballparks, should I make all the grass area first? Should I start with just a square infield? Or should I create the outline of he stadium first? Thanks again

Last edited by Tyler87898; 02-28-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #90
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

here's my Philly stadium
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #91
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
So I think I'm making some good progress. Another question: when drawing the pitcher's mound, the circle covers up one of my ruler lines (the one going from home plate to 2B) so when I make the pitching rubber, I can't get it centered. How should I fix this? I tried recreating the ruler line, but it just goes under the mound.

Also, in the future when creating ballparks, should I make all the grass area first? Should I start with just a square infield? Or should I create the outline of he stadium first? Thanks again
To fix the issue with the pitching rubber, change the model to transparent, so you can see inside of everything. Then, draw a line that extends upward (I would assume) from the end of your measuring line to the reference edge of the slab. Once, you get everything located, delete the line you drew.

There's no need to create all the grass first, but it can be done. One sure-fire method is to create an infield first and save it. Then, use this template infield to create each subsequent ballpark (unless the infield cut of the dirt differs, then you'll need a new template each time). Then, build a "Lego" style base ballpark that includes enough fair and foul territory that you can crop each time to build your ballpark. Draw the outline of the fair and foul territory walls right on this big square each time to create a unique ballpark.

Sketchup makes it easy to avoid duplicating work, so take advantage of its inherent ease of use. You have to think about designing ballparks from the inside out to save time.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:33 AM   #92
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To fix the issue with the pitching rubber, change the model to transparent, so you can see inside of everything. Then, draw a line that extends upward (I would assume) from the end of your measuring line to the reference edge of the slab. Once, you get everything located, delete the line you drew.

There's no need to create all the grass first, but it can be done. One sure-fire method is to create an infield first and save it. Then, use this template infield to create each subsequent ballpark (unless the infield cut of the dirt differs, then you'll need a new template each time). Then, build a "Lego" style base ballpark that includes enough fair and foul territory that you can crop each time to build your ballpark. Draw the outline of the fair and foul territory walls right on this big square each time to create a unique ballpark.

Sketchup makes it easy to avoid duplicating work, so take advantage of its inherent ease of use. You have to think about designing ballparks from the inside out to save time.
Thanks for the tips. I will keep these in mind when I try to create my first ballpark.
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #93
dmytron

If I'd been Markus, I'd make silvam14 official 3d modeller of OOTP. And would pay him a lot. But I'm not Markus...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #94
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
If I'd been Markus, I'd make silvam14 official 3d modeller of OOTP. And would pay him a lot. But I'm not Markus...

Kind of you to say, but I'm just learning and will probably never to get to the detail level that I've seen doing searches for stadiums.

My idea is to get some number of fictional stadiums with minimal detail together so that maybe users will have some to choose from right out of the gate. These will be shared so if anyone else wants to take them and add extra detail (backdrops and such) they will be free to do so
Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #95
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

How would you make the thick white baselines? Just use long rectangles?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #96
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Pretty much, yes.

But for extra added detail, make the baseline from a texture like crushed rock, lighten it up all the way "white", and reduce its opacity to 50% or so.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #97
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

tampa
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #98
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

When creating the catchers box, I encountered a problem.

I had already made the batters boxes so I started from them and tried to make the outline of the catchers area, but once I made a rectangle out of some lines, the batters box (that was touching the catchers box lines) lost their color. I can't repaint the batters box lines (it doesn't do anything when I try to) so I just undo it.

I'm going to upload pics to show. Anyone know of a solution?
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #99
Acezn8s
Bat Boy

Hey Silvam, what texture are you using for grass? Yours look much better than the ones that are in sketchup by default.
Acezn8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #100
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Took it from one of the stadium in the warehouse

CBM Stadium I believe it was called