Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
J P Falcon the 3rd
Minors (Double A)

Steam

Will this game be available only through Steam now, or will we have some downloading options available to us?
J P Falcon the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J P Falcon the 3rd View Post
Will this game be available only through Steam now, or will we have some downloading options available to us?
They have stated repeatedly that it will never be only available on Steam and that they will always sell it directly.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

but it will be great on steam, as the community can utilize workshop. No longer a need for mod websites
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
but it will be great on steam, as the community can utilize workshop. No longer a need for mod websites
If we get a Workshop. No word last I heard on that.

We might also get head to head play on Steam eventually.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
There will always be a need for mod websites because there will always be people who won't buy on steam.

Note - this is not an anti-steam reply, just stating the obvious. All bases should be covered.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
There will always be a need for mod websites because there will always be people who won't buy on steam.

Note - this is not an anti-steam reply, just stating the obvious. All bases should be covered.
If OOTP gets both a Workshop and head to head play available on Steam, there would be zero benefit from being anywhere else. For those of you who don't know, a Workshop is a Steam online mod management tool where you can pick and choose mods from a detailed catalog and even add or remove them on the fly. In terms of selecting mods, it is to a current OOTP mod website as a Land's End Catalog is to a classified ad. In terms of ease of mod installation and removal there is literally no comparison; a Workshop just owns. Steam also handles multiplayer gaming quite well.

If both of these appear, then only the total anti-Steam fanatics would stay away. And I'm not being insulting there, I use fanatic in the sense of extreme and unreasoning viewpoint.

Now if neither appear in the future, if you only ever play OOTP on two computers then it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. But if you mean to play OOTP on more than two computers then Steam is a no-brainer.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

If both of these appear, then only the total anti-Steam fanatics would stay away. And I'm not being insulting there, I use fanatic in the sense of extreme and unreasoning viewpoint.

if someone gets wronged by a service or don't like what it stands for (purchasing a game that you actually don't own), I'm sorry but who are you to say their viewpoint doesn't make sense or is illogical?

I had bought a brand new game from steam years back (Empire total war) and it auto-installed to my brothers account. I called steam and told them what had happened and how I would like to switch it to my account. They told me that it's against their policy. I asked why i cannot, and they said that the game could be used. 1. it was never installed to a previous account. 2. it was brand new, I had the receipt to prove it...but did any of that matter? No. That is an unreasoning viewpoint to me and I want no part in it ever again. I never did get to play it. I have only purchased one game on steam ever since (as I didn't know it was a steam exclusive) and refuse to buy there again.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
if someone gets wronged by a service or don't like what it stands for (purchasing a game that you actually don't own), I'm sorry but who are you to say their viewpoint doesn't make sense or is illogical?

I had bought a brand new game from steam years back (Empire total war) and it auto-installed to my brothers account. I called steam and told them what had happened and how I would like to switch it to my account. They told me that it's against their policy. I asked why i cannot, and they said that the game could be used. 1. it was never installed to a previous account. 2. it was brand new, I had the receipt to prove it...but did any of that matter? No. That is an unreasoning viewpoint to me and I want no part in it ever again. I never did get to play it. I have only purchased one game on steam ever since (as I didn't know it was a steam exclusive) and refuse to buy there again.
"I use fanatic in the sense of extreme and unreasoning viewpoint."

You installed it to the wrong account and it's somehow their fault? And you are going to hold the mistake that you made against them, and thereby deny yourself gaming pleasure and convenience?

Would you cancel your cable service if you recorded the wrong show? Would you never buy another of a brand of car because something broke and it turned out not to be under warranty?

There are SIXTY-FIVE MILLION Steam users. Do you think your grudge is affecting Steam in any way?

Or is it only hurting you?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
"I use fanatic in the sense of extreme and unreasoning viewpoint."

You installed it to the wrong account and it's somehow their fault? And you are going to hold the mistake that you made against them, and thereby deny yourself gaming pleasure and convenience?

Would you cancel your cable service if you recorded the wrong show? Would you never buy another of a brand of car because something broke and it turned out not to be under warranty?

There are SIXTY-FIVE MILLION Steam users. Do you think your grudge is affecting Steam in any way?

Or is it only hurting you?
I never installed it to the wrong account. I installed the game to the pc but it auto activated on his account. My fault? Where was the warning? Either way steam did not care. You seem like you fit in quite well with them. There was a time, believe it or not, not to long ago where the consumer gets the benefit of the doubt. Those times are long gone and we have fanboys defending this type of awful customer support. No wonder the world has gone to crap.

If my cable provider wronged me in big enough way, yes I would cancel it. Netflix would work as an alternative. Or another provider. Or worst case if freed up my time for better things and saved some money. Would they care? Probably not but I do care and it wouldn't be the worth thing to happen. The "One person doesn't make a difference" attitude is the wrong attitude.

There would be sixty million and one person if they treated me fairly. Absolutely no I don't think my grudge is affecting steam nor do I care if it does.

Steam will be challenged for what they're doing and perhaps things will change.

http://www.geekosystem.com/valve-dig...s-resale-suit/

Until that day, I will not partake in anything steam. If you feel that is illogical, well quite honestly your opinion matters as little to me as mine does to Valve/Steam.

Do people ever wonder why computer games are the most pirated? Perhaps there is a connection here...

Anyways, I'm done with steam...and I regret posting all this. So I'm just going to bow out now.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-28-2014 at 10:01 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

so it's a niche service. thanks, was always curious about it, I guess i'll stay away.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
so it's a niche service. thanks, was always curious about it, I guess i'll stay away.
It's the opposite of that. But you knew that, you were just posting to harass.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #12
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
It's the opposite of that. But you knew that, you were just posting to harass.

I seriously expected higher than 3% penetration, the way people are going on about it, but It does show how fragmented internet usage is...
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #13
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Few years back I purchased four games from steam and had problems with three of them, I'll purchase OOTP the old fashioned way and download the mods the same.

I kind of agree with dave that when I talked to steam they didn't seem to care, the only time I've had a problem with OOTP they sent multiple emails and the problem was fixed within hours. Even when I've wanted my license reset it's been a matter of minutes before it's been done, the customer service alone imo will always make me stay old school. If this means I lose out then so be it, steam maybe great but not for me personally. Just hope some of the mods stick with the old school way.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #14
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Steam's had plenty of problems with customer service, that's no secret. I still love it, myself.

But that doesn't matter. OOTP is never going to Steam-exclusive (or so we've been told), so this shouldn't even be an argument. Buy on Steam if you want, buy direct if you want. Done.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Bigdummie
Major Leagues

I just don't get what advantage Steam has over buying direct. I am an old guy on computer, so trying anything new can be an adventure. I do like to play H2H, so what does one do to get Steam, or what exactly is this Steam, and is it safe to use? Thanks
Bigdummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Steam is an online retailer with some advantages.
1) You can install your Steam account software on any computer. This allows you access to your games from as many different computers as you like.
2) I have not used Steam workshop with any games yet. I have heard good reviews about how their mod system works. It is all centralized and installs are reported to be much simpler.
3) Their pricing sets them apart. They offer game on Sale for absurdly low prices.

I have used a little bit of Steam. Total War, RRT II, TES Morrowind and Oblivion. I have had very few problems, none that a CPU reboot did not fix.
For OOTP it does not do anything for me that I do not get from direct buy.

Google Steam and look through their massive game library.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now if neither appear in the future, if you only ever play OOTP on two computers then it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. But if you mean to play OOTP on more than two computers then Steam is a no-brainer.
Wait... I am honestly confused by this...

"if you only play OOTP on two computers"?

Um... why would most people play it on more than one?

I mean, SOME people may have multiple computers, but I wouldn't think that MOST do... no?

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post

I mean, SOME people may have multiple computers, but I wouldn't think that MOST do... no?
Yeah, I thought the whole multiple computer thing sounded so cool. That was when I was under the impression it was some type of cloud service in which I could play the same league on whatever computer I may be using at the time. Since it's not, I'm not all that thrilled one way or the other. If the whole mod thing (I guess it's called a workshop)gets up and running, I could get interested, as I'm not the swiftest tool in the garage when it comes to installing mods.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post

Most people definitely don't play OOTP on more than two computers. Still though, I agree that for the rare player who does use 3+ computers, buying the game on steam or getting a steam key is a big plus and the only way to go about purchasing.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Yeah, I thought the whole multiple computer thing sounded so cool. That was when I was under the impression it was some type of cloud service in which I could play the same league on whatever computer I may be using at the time. Since it's not, I'm not all that thrilled one way or the other. If the whole mod thing (I guess it's called a workshop)gets up and running, I could get interested, as I'm not the swiftest tool in the garage when it comes to installing mods.
I'm in the same exact boat as you with everything you mentioned.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote