Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:39 AM   #1
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

MLS Season 2024

I have been away for a while, since I don't play OOTP much anymore, but have missed this forum. As a long time Columbus Crew fan, last season was fantastic, so I am definitely fired up for this season!

The whole Messi-mania thing is going to be interesting this season, to see if the hype continues. With Apple TV's buy in I am assuming it will still get big play, from them at least. It has already been announced that he will not be playing the game when Inter Miami are in Columbus, but I am hoping to get to see him at the All-Star game, which is also in Cbus this year. We have Crew season tickets this year, so we should be able to get tickets to the AS game.

I expect the Crew to be very strong again this year, Nancy has a squad that fits his style better than the one that began last season, and a team that is immersed in his system already. They should get out to a faster start than they did last year.

I would not be surprised if Nancy does not end up staying in the MLS long. His aggressive style and penchant for working well with young players could make him a tasty target for a mid table Ligue 1, or Ligue 2 team.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:33 PM   #2
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Who will Suarez gnaw on first?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:29 PM   #3
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Lol.

What annoyed my about Suarez's toothy issue, is that he is not some goon. If Tevez had bit people, I would have gone, "yeah, not surprised." But Suarez can be a true joy to watch. Creative, often unselfish, dynamic, I loved watching him a Liverpool. And then, Bang, he loses his mind.

Let's Go Crew
Old 02-16-2024, 03:51 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
Lol.

What annoyed my about Suarez's toothy issue, is that he is not some goon. If Tevez had bit people, I would have gone, "yeah, not surprised." But Suarez can be a true joy to watch. Creative, often unselfish, dynamic, I loved watching him a Liverpool. And then, Bang, he loses his mind.
Oh, he is an incredible footballer.
But he is also a bit of a maniac when he loses control

He has also been found to have said some racist things to another player as well.
So incredible footballer, but probably a pretty terrible human
Old 02-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

And DC United will once again be pretty terrible. That club has been so lost for what seems like over a decade now.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:15 PM   #6
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

I am pretty excited about St. Louis City's season. I MIGHT be able to get a ticket to a game!
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:30 AM   #7
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Of course MLS/Apple had to have Inter Messi in the opener. I don't mind too much, but the marketing push is always annoying.

A team with better attackers than Salt Lake would have scored several last night, Miami looks good on attack, but get very leggy as the game goes on (almost like they have put together a roster of 35+ year olds).

I think Miami will win more than last year and probably make the playoffs, but I don't see a dominating team there.

Now to get my Crew gear ready for a trip to Columbus on Saturday!

Let's Go Crew
Old 02-26-2024, 08:26 PM   #8
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Attended the Crew's opener. Colder than I like, but got to see the players get their rings, 2023 added to the championships listed and an exciting game, with a good result.

Made it back in time to catch a few more games in the evening.

Messi saved Inter Miami's bacon again last night. Calendar is turning into a very good keeper for IM, but they are going to be in trouble if they face a team that finished some chances. I don't think they can continue to start Suarez and Messi together. They are too outmanned on defense when they do.

A good start to a season!

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-07-2024, 09:52 AM   #9
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

It has been a fun week for soccer in the US. A Utah snow game on the weekend and a water-soaked field for the USWNT Gold Cup game.

4 games to watch on a Wednesday night was fun, 3 Concacaf Champions Cup games and the W Gold Cup match.

My Crew have had a couple up and down games. Should have beaten Minnesota, but gave up a late goal to drop 2 points. Then yesterday, after a pretty exciting game, for being scoreless, they got the late winner in the first leg on the road. Got a first look at a new signing, HInestroza, who looked dangerous and gives some depth options.

Busy stretch for a number of teams with the CCC games. 5 games in 15 days for several MLS squads, including the Crew.

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-07-2024, 03:31 PM   #10
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It has been a fun week for soccer in the US. A Utah snow game on the weekend and a water-soaked field for the USWNT Gold Cup game.

That game in Utah should not have been played.
I agree with the LA manager, that was a total disgrace to have the players play in an actual blizzard that was stopped at times due to lightning.
It should of been PPD and rescheduled to a later date.

I have been watching a MLS a bit over VPN on Apple TV+

It is a long season, but DC United may possibly have a playoff hope?
Benteke has looked good so far. But he is 33 and I know he will break down at some point.

I expect the entire team to fade this season. They just don't have the talent to secure a playoff spot.

I do disagree with your Inter Miami take, they look like a monster team.
Yes, they have signed a lot of older players who will break down over a long season, but they have a lot of depth with even more old players or even some young home grown talent to play for them.
I think they will win the east and possibly win the MLS shield, or whatever it is called for the most points in the regular season.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:39 PM   #11
mytreds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
He just needs a helping hand.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:51 PM   #12
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
That game in Utah should not have been played.
I agree with the LA manager, that was a total disgrace to have the players play in an actual blizzard that was stopped at times due to lightning.
It should of been PPD and rescheduled to a later date.
I think that there was just the one stoppage. I don't have an issue playing in snow, it is actually much less detrimental to play than rain. The goals that LAFC gave up were not due to the snow, but to their own mistakes.

Quote:
It is a long season, but DC United may possibly have a playoff hope?
Benteke has looked good so far. But he is 33 and I know he will break down at some point.

I expect the entire team to fade this season. They just don't have the talent to secure a playoff spot.
They are improved and Benteke is not playing a position that demands as much movement as some. I think they have a good shot at the playoff, but the East has gotten tougher than last year, and it was pretty tough then. I will be at the April 6 game against them in Columbus.

Quote:
I do disagree with your Inter Miami take, they look like a monster team.
Yes, they have signed a lot of older players who will break down over a long season, but they have a lot of depth with even more old players or even some young home grown talent to play for them.
I think they will win the east and possibly win the MLS shield, or whatever it is called for the most points in the regular season.
They looked vulnerable in their first two games, against mediocre competition, then exploded last week, so we will see. Home games in Florida with temps in the 90s will take a lot out of them.

I don't think that they will win the Shield, but they will make the playoffs and they are built for a short run like that. I look forward to watching them this season, that's for sure.

It has already been announced that Messi will miss the game when they play in Columbus in October, but I bought tickets for the All Star game, so expect to be able to see Messi there!

Let's Go Crew
Old 03-07-2024, 04:31 PM   #13
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that there was just the one stoppage. I don't have an issue playing in snow, it is actually much less detrimental to play than rain. The goals that LAFC gave up were not due to the snow, but to their own mistakes.
I don't think LAFC lost the game due to the snow. Salt Lake is just a better team.
But it was a blizzard. Neither team should have to play in that.
We will agree to disagree. I feel like the game should of been postponed and moved to another date.

That USWNT game was sloppy as well.
But that looked more like the field could not handle the rain more than how much rain was falling.
I am just glad no one was seriously injured.

I know the women's team has constantly brought up that they have to play on my pretty bad pitches.
And I agree, no team, men or women, should ever have to play on artificial turf. It is dangerous and potentially harmful for your long term health with those rubber pellets.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:53 AM   #14
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Attended the Crew game, so did not get a chance to watch many other games this weekend, but did get to see the highlights of that crazy Chicago comeback.

Crew completely dominated the Red Bulls. I cannot remember a game that the Crew completely controlled, against a good team, like they did on Saturday. I was worried because the Crew were playing their 5th game in 15 days and Red Bulls have been strong this year, but it was men against boys.

New York's press only managed a single turnover in their attacking third and they were not able to get anything dangerous from it. NY had two very weak shots on goal, and one late chance to try to redirect something and hope, but nothing came of it.

Let's Go Crew