Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Hey storyline writers - more help requested!!

Hey guys, we have some great stories in the storyline writing thread. However, I am looking for some specific story types in the thread. If you can contribue, please do. As with the other thread, this thread is for entire written stories only. If you are looking for more examples, please see the thread below:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ries-here.html

OK, on to some specific stories.

We need the following story types - this thread is specifically only for the exact story subjects below)

Team stuff:

Team clinches playoff spot (general)
Team clinches playoff spot with loss (falls backward into playoffs)
Team clinches playoff with win
Team wins division
Team 5/10/15 games away from clinching (magic number)
Team misses playoffs for 10th/15th/20th straight year
Team hasn't won world series in 25/50/75/100 years
Team losing streak (15/16/17/18/19/20)
Team winning streaK (15/16/17/18/19/20)
Team wins championship (celebration stories)

Player stuff:

Player signs with hometown team
Foreign player signs with MLB, back home the press is excited
A pending free agent is mad and wants to be traded (his team is losing)
Star player is claimed off of waivers (stats cannot be used in storylines btw)
Player's offseason workout deflates ratings
Up and coming prospect gets praise from other team's players
Older player (think 40's+ reports to camp
Team leader tries to build team chemistry

League stuff:

These sound fun but in reality are just announcements to spruce up the game. They cannot be specific. For example, we cannot do a rule 5 story and pull in a list of former rule 5 draftees. In reality, they are all kind of boring to read but variety is the spice of life! Feel free to write up a 3 or 4 sentence note for any of the items below.

general arbitration/rule 5/playoffs start/playoffs end/teams must submit protection list/trading deadline/preseason/spring training/post all star game/ stories/start of the season/end of the season/winter meetings start/winter meeting end/

Last edited by cody8200; 03-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
hfield007
All Star Starter

A pending free agent is mad and wants to be traded (his team is losing)

[insert player name] has been anything but quiet during his team's painful drudge to the finish line this year. This poor attitude has spilled into questioning his teammate's desire to win. The overall feeling in the clubhouse seems to be they can lose just as many without [insert player name]'s services and he seems completely fine with that idea.

"Give me the right fit and you will see some magic." [insert player last name] said. "I have the tools, I just need the right scenario and there are plenty of teams that would beg for my services at this point in the season."

With a [insert team record] record at this point and [insert player name] due to be a free agent after the Championship this season, the [insert player's team] may be wise to deal him now and get some return on this season's lost cause. [insert player's name] added later, "I'm not a project player or a clubhouse cancer, I just know what I want and can contribute greatly to a team in the right position."

The [insert player's team] general manager declined comment on the situation but sources say he is actively shopping the disgruntled veteran currently.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Team misses playoffs for 20th straight year

Fandom isn't something you grab so much as something that grabs you. If you're a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates, this is probably something you have come to accept as your plight. Years of rooting for your team has left you with nothing to show but disappointment in the end. The team has now missed the postseason 20 consecutive years, and while there is some hope on the horizon, all but the most die hard fans have little faith that next year will be that year.

Manager Clint Hurdle is not one of them. "We came up short his year," he told reporters, "but we'll continue to look ahead to the future. We expect to win every time we take the field. We expect to win in all aspects of the organization from the top down. We have some strong players on the roster and we have talent coming up through the system. Get on the bandwagon now because we're going places next year!" Sure, he's paid to say these things, and you may not agree with him, but there's something reassuring and comforting in knowing that he hasn't given up, isn't giving up, and will never give up.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Winter Meetings Start

The hot stove will be blazing for the next few days as the league's Winter Meetings are set to kick off. Owners, GM's, and other front office personnel will gather while players looking for a new contract will be there with their agents alongside them. Naturally, the press vultures will be on hand to peck at any morsel that smells the least bit enticing. Expect a lot of rumors to go unfounded, but don't be surprised to see a major trade or two go down as well. Agents will be looking to get their players the best possible contract and will be trying to play GM's off of each other to do so. Weak willed GM's will commit more than they should, and astute GM's may walk away with a bargain. The picture of what the 2013 season will look like is about to get a lot sharper.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

All 9 (uo to Honorable Pawn's) are now in for OOTP 14. These are the exact formats I am looking for! Please keep it going guys.

Last edited by cody8200; 03-12-2013 at 08:01 PM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Orioles win AL East

The Baltimore Orioles clinched a postseason berth today, officially capturing the AL Eastern Division title with their 5-3 win over the Chicago White Sox.

The Orioles' clubhouse was filled afterwards with jubilant teammates showering each other with champagne. Manager Buck Showalter praised his club, saying, "We were underdogs from the beginning, but we pulled it off. I couldn't be more proud of this group of guys for getting it done. Now our goal is to bring a championship to Baltimore!"

Hopefully the team can get some sleep after what's sure to be a late night celebrating!
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Team hasn't won world series in 25 years

It had been 24 long seasons since the [Insert Team Name]'s won the World Series, and today they were officially eliminated from the running, extending their infamous streak to 25.

Team owner, [Insert Owner Name] has made it clear that he does not intend to lengthen the streak any more, "We owe it to our dedicated fanbase and to this city as a whole to put a quality product on the field with the ultimate goal of winning a world championship. While we were unable to win it all this year, I can promise that I will not rest until we do so."

Not every season has been an utter failure, but the team has not been one game short every year either. It is quite evident that the fans expect more, and [Insert Owner Name] better give it to them soon, or support will dwindle for this team mired in mediocrity.

Last edited by Mister_G; 03-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

(Player's offseason workout deflates ratings)

Smith's unconventional new workout appears to have dire consequences:

City Sluggers' 1B Joe Smith has always been the type to try new things. When a reknowned TV spokesperson approached him regarding a new offseason training regiment, Smith found it hard to refuse. "It sounded great to me on the surface," he said, looking back on the sales pitch. Dubbed as "LeanGreen" by the company, the workout consisted of minimal weight-lifting and a diet of only green foods, taken alongside a myriad of unidentified "cleansing pills." With hefty promises of purging his body of "evil fats and toxins", Smith came to find that the opposite proved to be true. In a recent interview, Manager Jim Generic grumbled over his player's indescretions. "The kid's got a good heart but sometimes he can be a real bonehead. Never in my life have I heard of anything like this happening." Meanwhile, Smith has taken a more realistic view for next off-season, "Yeah, I'm definitely just going to stick with my old workout routine. As they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't know what I was thinking." The makers of LeanGreen couldn't be reached for comment.

----------------------------------------

If possible, maybe this could only trigger on players with AVERAGE (or lower) work ethic/intelligence

Last edited by philliesphan26; 03-12-2013 at 06:22 PM.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Older player (think 40's+ reports to camp)

Joe Smith turns heads as he defies father time, reports to camp:

While baseball is just getting underway again, one player is finding himself in the news for an increasingly rare reason-- playing past 40. City Sluggers' 1B Joe Smith has bucked the odds and reported to camp, quelling many rumors that claimed he was just postponing his retirement until the last second for media attention. "The media is full of it," he said with a laugh, "I still love the game and I'll play until I can't anymore. They'll have to pry the bat out of my cold dead hands." Smith's teammates are getting a kick out of his insistence to play, going as far as bringing in walkers and wheelchairs to assist him in the clubhouse.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

Cactus League Foes Raving About SF SP Prospect Zack Wheeler

A buzz has been surrounding SP Zack Wheeler during Cactus League play this spring. Several veteran players have been awe-struck by what they've seen out of the young phenom thus far in camp.

"He has pure swing and miss stuff. Just an electrifying repertoire of pitches to face off against. He is a future all-star once he gets a little experience under his belt, says Reds 2B Brandon Phillips."

"His assortment of pitches are filthy", says Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez. Once he can lock in his command on a consistent basis he'll be a force to be reckoned with for the seasons to come." With a sheepish grin, "I'm not looking forward to crossing paths with him down the road."
BaronA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Foreign player signs with MLB, back home the press is excited

As soon as [Player] stepped up to the podium every camera flashed and the media that was packed elbow to elbow in the press room surged forward all at once. He had to raise his hand to shield his eyes from the brilliant flashes pulsating throughout the room. A great roar ensued as he was bombarded with questions.

All at once, a sensous young female reporter broke free from the crowd and ran up to [Player] and kissed him on the cheek. Cat calls rose from the room as he sheepishly took this opportunity to pose for the media with a young and beautiful woman at his arm.

Such is the life for a player that is leaving his homeland for fame and fortune when he finally makes it to the Major Leagues.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
hfield007
All Star Starter

Team losing streak.

To say the [insert team name] are playing below par right now would be like saying belts can be used to hold your pants up. It's an obvious statement. Even without mention it is known and assumed. But the level of futility the [insert team nickname] are playing at is a force to be reckoned with.

An opposing pitcher this past week mentioned, "I don't usually enter a game expecting a W coming my way, but I think that was the only option against a team like this right now." He had plenty of reason to feel that way. The [insert team nickname] stand at [insert number of consecutive losses] straight losses and show no interest in shaking off the storm cloud hanging over them.

Manager [insert manager's name] has hinted at shaking up the roster if things don't change moving forward. This is a far cry from where the team expected to be at this point in the year. The team's beat writers have described the series of losses as not only disappointing but a waste of talent and hurtful to the fan base that expects more from their team.

The team will hope for a wind of change tomorrow against the [insert next opponent] and attempt to avoid a cellar finish.

Last edited by hfield007; 03-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
hfield007
All Star Starter

older player reports to camp.

Spring training usually means one thing. A lot of fresh young faces hopefully grabbing a piece of the show while they can. Whether destined to be future all-stars or just grabbing a cup of coffee, it is a time to see a much wider variety of talent on any club's roster.

However, this spring there is still one very familiar face lingering in the crowded clubhouse each day. [insert age] year old [insert player's name] will be on the field this season to continue his [insert amount of years played] year career. Ever the stickler for improvement, he joked with the press, "I have a lot to work on if i'm going to make it in the big leagues." to which his manager added, "It's always great to see a player who still wants to bother with spring training after so many of them."

The [insert team's name] have hopes that he grabs a regular role in their lineups and provides leadership to the clubhouse. When asked if we should expect to see him again next spring he replied, "I don't make plans that far in advance without asking my wife first."
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Player signs with hometown team

It's many childs dream to play for their hometown team, and [player's name] has achieved that dream after signing a contract with [team].

At his press conference, one reporter asked how he felt about joining the [team nickname].

"It's a dream come true. I've been cheering this team on since I was a toddler, and I live twenty minutes away from the ballpark. I remember coming to games with my father and just enjoying the games. Now I can finally give back and help bring a championship to the team that I loved so much growing up. I'm really excited for this opportunity," said [player].

[Player]'s girlfriend, and their poodle "Fluffy" are both certainly very happy they'll be living back in [hometown].

"There was no negative part of signing with [team]. All positives so far, and I hope it stays that way," said [player].

Player signed for [contract details].

------------------------------------
Effects (if possible):

Increase popularity of player

Last edited by Tyler87898; 03-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Team wins championship

The [team] has won the [year] [championship name], [Wins] games to [losses] against the [opposing team]!

While players were celebrating in the clubhouse, fans were celebrating deep into the night outside the [team's stadium name]. The noise was surreal.

"I couldn't even hear the person next to me talk," said one lady tagging along with some friends.

Members of management were praising their team while they weren't downing a glass of champagne.

"Our players play hard. We may not be a perfect team, but we were pretty [expletive] good. My players wanted to win, so they did. It's a long season, and they played above anybodies expectation. There's not much else I could ask for," said manager [manager name].

A parade will take place this weekend outside [team's stadium] to celebrate the team's championship season.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Post allstar game

Another mid-summer classic has passed, and the players and teams are ready to continue on in the season.

Allstar [allstar player name] said "I had a ton of fun being with the best of the best of the league. I'm hoping I could do this again next year and hopefully the years after, although I am happy to get back with my team and get back in the mindset of winning it all this year."

The second half of the season is bound to have many exciting games as pennant races get more intense.

"This is the best and most important half of the season. I'm expecting walkoff grandslams and game ending diving catches to show up more in the upcoming months, and damn, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a 20-inning game ending with a triple play," said one manager in the [sub-league].

The season continues with these games:

Team A vs. Team B
Team C vs. Team D
etc.

Last edited by Tyler87898; 03-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
hfield007
All Star Starter

team leader tries to build team chemistry

Things just aren't right in [insert team city]. At least that is the word out of the team's clubhouse. The veterans have begun to notice too. [insert player's name] said, "The season isn't a lost cause but internally we have to start clicking better if we want everything to flow on the field how we'd like to."

[insert player's last name] has been spotted by the media treating his teammates to dinner as recent as this week and has been showing up quite early to the ballpark on game day.

"Yeah, I've been trying to beat the coaches to the field lately. I've been working with the newer guys trying to get the kinks out."

[insert manager's name] has taken notice as well. He mentioned that [insert player's name] has had the outfield trying to get a better feel for each other on fly balls that hit the gaps. He was quick to add, "This is definitely his doing. He hates to see losses show up in the standings. Every team needs take charge guys like this who younger players look up to and older players respect."

[insert player's name] has promised better results going forward.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

Team clinches playoff spot with loss (falls backward into playoffs)

[City name] Clinches Playoff Spot Despite Today's Loss

"It's not how you picture it when you're a kid," admitted [Player A] today after the [team] clinched a playoff spot while losing [score] to [other team].

"It felt a little strange celebrating at first," said [Player B] in the clubhouse after the game. "But despite today, we're a winning team and we earned this. It's about more than just today, it's about the great team we've been all season long."

If the fans felt any qualms about the circumstances, they didn't show it. Many hung around outside the stadium long after the game, cheering and celebrating into the night.
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
hfield007
All Star Starter

team x amount of games away from playoffs.

Suddenly, the [insert team here] are only [magic number] games away from extending their season and clinching a playoff berth.

This last win seemed to ease the tension for the club and have them seriously looking at the post season. [insert manager's name] said after the win, "This is exactly where I hoped to be positioned at this point in the season. We built a solid foundation and did what we needed to this past offseason. Obviously everything has paid off tremendously thus far."

While they can't count their chickens just yet, the [team nickname] seem to be primed at contending for the championship. Some reporters have cast doubts about this team's real chances but don't tell that to the players. They meet the [next opponent] next and hope to keep the ball rolling. As one player mentioned, "Every game is important right now and those close losses can destroy morale in one quick swoop."

With the year winding down quickly, good baseball will not be hard to find.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

These are all in! Please feel free to make as many storyline's as you can from each of the listed storylines. They will be randomly used by the game.